Canon 50d

Name
Phil Sage
Edit My Images
Yes
Im considering buying a Canon 50d, i know its a dated unit but does it still hold its own.

Its cheap but i know in its day it was cutting edge, i currently have a 100d which is a canny starter camera but feel the need to branch out.

is it worth a go as its very reasonable or should i save a bit longer ??

I stopped buying Canons after this model, in my opinion Canons worst sensor for noise (the 40D was better). Apart from the sensor though everything else was great.

I stopped buying Canons after this model, in my opinion Canons worst sensor for noise (the 40D was better). Apart from the sensor though everything else was great.
IMO the 40D was, in low noise sensor terms, the equal of the much later full frame 5D3 :)

If you can get it for a good price then fair enough.
I don't recall having a issue with sensor noise with the one I owned but I do remember there was a lot of talk about it.
Don't discount the 40D as it was a cracking body and they are now dirt cheap, as proven by members here who still post great photos using one.

I had a 50d for about 3 years. I was quite happy with it, the main issue for me was high iso lower light photography the noise was quite noticeable. The 50d was a nice step up from the 350d I had before it in all ways, I currently have an 80d which is a nice camera. I would really like to move to a 5dMk4 but don't have the funds.

What type of photos do you like to take? what is your budget?

Bear in mind it's no longer supported by Canon, so if you have a problem with it then it will be toast, as will anything prior to that model (and some since).
I have one, my wife uses it after I upgraded to 5D3 and it's a great camera, resolution on a par with full frame, bit noisy perhaps (but can be used to great artistic effect if you like pointillism).

Get a 40D - better IMO.
My 50D was a disappointment yet a friend's 40D worked like a dream and still does!

Got an 80D for Sale that’s about to go to MPB.

I'd go for a 40D as well.....probably cheaper and performs noticeably better than the 50D when the sun goes in.

wow cheers guys, might go for a 40d, as always for the advice as always !!

IMO the 40D was, in low noise sensor terms, the equal of the much later full frame 5D3 :)

I had a 40d twice and it was ok to 800 iso at a push. Looked bad at 1200+ iso
The 5D MK3 is ok to 3200 iso. 6400 looks a little rough.

The Nikon d7000 I had was a big leap forward over a 40d.
My first 3 cameras were a 550d, 40d and then the d7000.

Back