Canon 50mm f/1.4 stopped auto-focusing

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
With my 400D, I thought I'd take one or 2 shots inside with the 50mm f/1.4, and it started off fine but after 3 goes at autofocusing its just stopped.

When selected to AF, the centre red AF light will light up to say its in focus, even if it clearly isn't and makes no effort to move.

When selected to MF it doesn't then light any of the AF lights.

Is this a common problem? Its probably only had about 100 shots taken on it.

I've tried the kit lens and a 28-105mm f/3.5 lens on it and they're both working fine.

You probably have the AF set to manual on the center AF point.

Press the button next to your thumb that's got a load of little squares next to it and make sure the AF is set to automatic selection.

None of the AF lights will show in MF mode, dosen't need to, your focusing manually...

It does the same with any AF point selected. Its completely an issue with the lens, my 2 other lenses work as per normal :bang: :(

Try giving the contacts on the back of the lens a little clean but don't use anything too abrasive.

I've looked at the contacts and they're perfectly clean. I should also add that the lens is only 2 weeks old.

I have contacted the ebay seller regarding this, but I'm not so sure where I stand as it came with a US/Canadian warranty card.

Just a thought - you are in one-shot and not ai-servo???

Sorry if this sounds insulting but im only trying to help lol.....have you ensured the the lens is "clicked/twisted" into place and the contact is definitely confirmed between the contacts? Thats happened to me before.

Was the lens new? or a second hand one?

SB

Seems strange, I've probably taken 1000+ pictures on mine and not had that problem...

Hey,

I have one of these...

Had exactly the same problem....

Took it back got 'fixed' under warranty...I suspect they just gave me a new one though...

Although I do find this lens sometimes searches (sp?) alot...

Sorry I couldn't bring better news..

Regards

AJ

Just a thought - you are in one-shot and not ai-servo???

Tried it in all 3 modes with no difference in joy

Sorry if this sounds insulting but im only trying to help lol.....have you ensured the the lens is "clicked/twisted" into place and the contact is definitely confirmed between the contacts? Thats happened to me before.

Was the lens new? or a second hand one?

SB
Nope, something I looked at too, and it didn't make any difference (you are helping by the way ;))

Hey,

I have one of these...

Had exactly the same problem....

Took it back got 'fixed' under warranty...I suspect they just gave me a new one though...

Although I do find this lens sometimes searches (sp?) alot...

Sorry I couldn't bring better news..

Regards

AJ

Its realistic news none the less. It's a tad annoying to be honest. I hope the ebay seller is reasonable.

I did find it quite noisy and clunky the USM (compared to the other lens I have)

Its realistic news none the less. It's a tad annoying to be honest. I hope the ebay seller is reasonable.
Hmm could be interesting approaching the seller... good luck

I did find it quite noisy and clunky the USM (compared to the other lens I have)
If i'm honest I was slightly disappointed with the AF ability of the lens...maybe I was expecting a little too much..

Yeah I found the auto focus a bit too keen, so would sometimes jolt back and forth before settling on its focused position.

To be honest I only used the auto focus for half the time. I prefer being able to control exactly where my focus is when setting the lens to a shall DOF. I find it simpler than changing the AF point on the body.

I'll see what the seller says:

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/emilyandlily

I dont think I have ever seen an ebayer with a feedback score that high! thats amazing....quite a turnover....

I think you should get on just fine with them..

has the front part of the lens jammed - can you free it? MF?

Not a lot of help but my 50 1.4 focuses really quickly even in very low light. Can't say I can recall it ever hunting for focus.

Hope you get sorted quickly.

Thought I would provide an update, and credit to the supplier despite being a little bit slow in communications they have fairly replaced the lens with a brand new item.

Was delivered today and I rushed to try it out like an excited kid lol.

It's great to have this lens back in on the front of my camera again :)

Glad you got it replaced :)

Don;t want to scare you but my first 50mm f/1.4 did the same as yours after 6months and so *** in for repairs under waranty and i think the motor was changed. After 2 weeks of usage i found that the same thing happened and it would not autofocus. Luckily Jessops just exchanged it for a new one since i had the same fault within a small time frame and gave me a new 1 yrs warranty :) So far so good no probs with this one.

Yeah I found the auto focus a bit too keen, so would sometimes jolt back and forth before settling on its focused position.

To be honest I only used the auto focus for half the time. I prefer being able to control exactly where my focus is when setting the lens to a shall DOF. I find it simpler than changing the AF point on the body.

I'll see what the seller says:

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/emilyandlily

I bought a 28-135 f/3.5 from them actually, didn't have any problems with it though...

Glad it's fixed now :)

None of the AF lights will show in MF mode, dosen't need to, your focusing manually...

The AF lights still light up in MF so you can use them as a confirmation even when focusing manually which can be very useful (y)

Mine's died now too...

Although it seems like a different problem to everyone else, the focussing seems stuck, between infinity and 0.8m it is fine, but even on manual it won't go any further unless you pull the end of the lens. How is Kerso for returns, or is it best to go to Canon directly?

Local repairer have quoted £50 to fix, so I'm going to see what Kerso/Canon have to say about it...

The AF lights still light up in MF so you can use them as a confirmation even when focusing manually which can be very useful (y)

That's what I was thinking as I did notice they would light up sometimes in manual focus. Most of the time they didn't - which I put down to my bad focusing :D

Back