Canon 50mm f/1.4

God

Name
Vaughan
Edit My Images
Yes
I got one of these today and would just like to point out to the whole world that it is ***** hot! :love:

Pictures maybe to follw, depending on if I get time in between shooting to actually process...

Thank you, thank you.

Glad to hear you like it!

What were you using previously?

Aye, I've got one (now for sale since my Nikon conversion) and man is it a fine piece of gear.

The F1.8 is a great lens, but for me the F1.4 smokes it and the bokeh is just lovely.

50mm primes are the dawgs!

i picked one up in the jessops fiaso, and i got a complete lemon. soft all the way to f2.8 (and i mean really soft) and then never really sharp.

Took it back last week and they swapped in on the spot and the new one is perfect, cracking little lens! sharp from 1.8, usable at 1.4 but a bit creamy, great bokeh, quick focus... lovely

adamus said:
i picked one up in the jessops fiaso, and i got a complete lemon. soft all the way to f2.8 (and i mean really soft) and then never really sharp.

Took it back last week and they swapped in on the spot and the new one is perfect, cracking little lens! sharp from 1.8, usable at 1.4 but a bit creamy, great bokeh, quick focus... lovely

That's worrying, I got mine from jessops. That being said it could happen to any supplier I guess so it depends on how they react, at least they were good and sorted it straight away. I'll keep a close eye on mine... ;-)

the sigma is sharper at 1.4 if thats what youre after

Well just picked up a Canon 5D2 so using it with that. Before this I was using the kit lens (17-55) with a 1000D :puke:

lol

I hope you mean a 18-55 and not the 17-55IS f/2.8 as thats an outstanding lens ;-)

Good luck with the 50mm. Ive had one for a few years (also from Jessops, after having 3 duff copies of the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ) and its the one lens that has outlasted every other lens ive owned.
It doesn't get much use these days but i like to use it when im travelling light.

Look forward to seeing some pics. (y)

Last edited:
I hope you mean a 18-55 and not the 17-55IS f/2.8 as thats an outstanding lens ;-):

Ha! Yes, the 18-55 (y) Not bad for a starting lens on the 1000D, but not compatible with the 5d, let alone any good on it... lol

Ha! Yes, the 18-55 (y) Not bad for a starting lens on the 1000D, but not compatible with the 5d, let alone any good on it... lol

Although i use my 17-55IS f/2.8 99% of the time im tempted to get a 18-55IS for travelling. I think there have been a couple of versions but by all accounts the latest is pretty decent for the money.

Once you start using a 50mm f/1.4 you will be amazed how useful it is, i always felt a fixed prime would be limiting until i got my first but i find them a lot of fun to use.
You wont be disappointed.

I`m also looking for my first ever prime and would like the 50mm for my Canon 50d. I can just afford a 1.4..but was unsure if it would benefit me over a 1.8 being a first time user and all. Gut feeling is the 1.4 wallet says 1.8 lol. Any thoughts/advice anyone please? Thanks

My own personal thoughts are get the 1.4 if you can.
The 1.8II is a nice lens, although inferior to the 1.4 in a few ways, and will probably serve you well but i think you might end up still wanting the 1.4 at some point so i say spend the money now and your set for life.
I've learnt this over the past 5 years. If you can afford what you want then get it rather than spending less at first and then loosing money to buy what you could have brought in the first place if that makes sense.

I love how canon users go potty about the nifty fifty. Shows how awful the 18-55 is

I love how canon users go potty about the nifty fifty. Shows how awful the 18-55 is

The Nifty Fifty is the 1.8, not the 1.4 IIR.

I disagree with your comment about the 18-55. A prime is expected to be sharper than a cheap zoom, that doesn't mean the zoom is awful.

The 18-55 isnt actually a 'terrible' lens, its just that there are, as with most things, better lenses out there. The 18-55 does what its meant to and for the market area its aimed at, it does it well :)

Alas, as with most things in life though, you get what you pay for...

honestly, it is. You could take your grannies specs, a loo roll and some gaffer tape and make a better lens than the canon 18-55. It's frankly shameful that a quality company puts out such a poor effort when the rest of it's lenses are pretty damn good.

honestly, it is. You could take your grannies specs, a loo roll and some gaffer tape and make a better lens than the canon 18-55. It's frankly shameful that a quality company puts out such a poor effort when the rest of it's lenses are pretty damn good.

I think you'll find there are a lot of people who would disagree with you and have some stunning pictures to prove their opinion. For what the 18-55 costs to buy you wont find a better lens.

Not according to Photozone its not.
"All-in-all the optical aspects are impressive and that's not only regarding the low price tag. "

Can we see your images showing how bad it is?

to be fair to Canon, the IS version is much improved. If you have this one, then it's the right quality at the right price. Was more talking about the old I or II

to be fair to Canon, the IS version is much improved. If you have this one, then it's the right quality at the right price. Was more talking about the old I or II

Well ill agree with you about the first version. Terrible lens.

I don think anyone is getting wound up as such, its pretty obvious from your sig your a Nikon user and we all know how they think :wacky: so it more to try and educate you than try and reason

(y)

Still, canonies are so easy to wind up :)

Its only funny because its true! :bang:

Well ill agree with you about the first version. Terrible lens.

I don think anyone is getting wound up as such, its pretty obvious from your sig your a Nikon user and we all know how they think :wacky: so it more to try and educate you than try and reason

(y)

Educate in any manner necessary? :bat: lol

Being stuck at work is not very productive to my camera work unfortunately, am looking forward to getting out over the weekend and proving to myself how truly awful I am at focussing at f/1.4 lol

Back