Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM?

Isn't this like putting cherry red diesel into a Ferrari?

Putting this lens on a high pixel body like the 5DS is never going to produce amazing results. You get what you pay for. You pay £100 for a lens you get £100 quality.

I've just had my first run out with the RF 50mm f/1.2L on the R5 and the sharpness is stunning. I also invested in the RF 15-35, RF 28-70 and RF 70-200 and they all produce the same amazing quality. I even find the RF 35mm f/1.8 to be very usable for a general light walk around lens. However this quality glass costs money.

I'm not saying you won't get good images from this lens, you will, but maybe not the quality you are hoping for.

Isn't this like putting cherry red diesel into a Ferrari?

Putting this lens on a high pixel body like the 5DS is never going to produce amazing results. You get what you pay for. You pay £100 for a lens you get £100 quality.

I've just had my first run out with the RF 50mm f/1.2L on the R5 and the sharpness is stunning. I also invested in the RF 15-35, RF 28-70 and RF 70-200 and they all produce the same amazing quality. I even find the RF 35mm f/1.8 to be very usable for a general light walk around lens. However this quality glass costs money.

I'm not saying you won't get good images from this lens, you will, but maybe not the quality you are hoping for.

I and a few others just proved that's a complete bs... From about f5.6 onwards which meets my needs today.

Your lens is probably great at f1.2. not something I need today nor it is compatible with 5ds. Last time I checked reviews ef version was not even recommend

I and a few others just proved that's a complete bs... From about f5.6 onwards which meets my needs today.

Your lens is probably great at f1.2. not something I need today nor it is compatible with 5ds. Last time I checked reviews ef version was not even recommend

You might think it's BS but you get what you pay for, with everything in life,
I'm not denying it's a good lens, and it can take good images, but the point I was making is it isn't an amazing lens.

It's a lens I owned for years and used to take lots of pictures.
The RF 50mm f/1.2 is great at 1.2 but it's also razor sharp even when stopping down, from corner to corner. Something the RF L lenses seem to excel at.

You might think it's BS but you get what you pay for, with everything in life,
I'm not denying it's a good lens, and it can take good images, but the point I was making is it isn't an amazing lens.

It's a lens I owned for years and used to take lots of pictures.
The RF 50mm f/1.2 is great at 1.2 but it's also razor sharp even when stopping down, from corner to corner. Something the RF L lenses seem to excel at.

Let's say you have convinced me that I really need RF 50mm f/1.2L. What good is that going to do on my 5Ds?! So here I am running to the store to also get 2x R5 to never ever use it at f/1.2 and keep it mainly as a backup.

I've taken test shots and at f/5.6 and above it handily beats 20X more expensive 24-70mm f/2.8 L II for raw sharpness and fulfills the backup role. That's all I needed. There is no shame using any piece of gear that costs under £1000. Thanks.

Let's say you have convinced me that I really need RF 50mm f/1.2L. What good is that going to do on my 5Ds?! So here I am running to the store to also get 2x R5 to never ever use it at f/1.2 and keep it mainly as a backup.

I've taken test shots and at f/5.6 and above it handily beats 20X more expensive 24-70mm f/2.8 L II for raw sharpness and fulfills the backup role. That's all I needed. There is no shame using any piece of gear that costs under £1000. Thanks.

Happy days, as long as you’re happy that’s good.

Back