Canon 50mm f1.4 or 85mm f1.8 on 6D

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

As above, I currently have the 50 f1.4 but I'm getting the itch to try the 85 1.8. My question is, is it worth it? I would need to sell the 50 to fund the 85. I have 50mm covered with my 24-105, but just wondered if it's worth losing the 50 prime to get the 85?

Any input gratefully received (As always!)

Thanks,
Nick

Is there a reason why you want the 85mm

Is there a reason why you want the 85mm

Only that it seems to get amazing reviews above and beyond the 50. My main focus now are portraits so I'm wondering if the 85 would see more use than the 50

Nick,

At the moment my 85 is my go to lens. I shoot Nikon FX and the 6D is Full Frame so if it were me I'd go for it, mind you if I shot Canon I'd probably get the exceptional 135mm f2 ...

Nick,

At the moment my 85 is my go to lens. I shoot Nikon FX and the 6D is Full Frame so if it were me I'd go for it, mind you if I shot Canon I'd probably get the exceptional 135mm f2 ...
This^

The 85mm 1.8 is a great lens (for the money) and a great portrait lens (on crop)

The 135mm f2 is awesome (requires no qualification), and a great portrait lens on FF. (the 2nd lens I bought when I got the 6d)

Only that it seems to get amazing reviews above and beyond the 50. My main focus now are portraits so I'm wondering if the 85 would see more use than the 50
When you're taking portraits and using your 24-105 ... do you like the perspective you get at 85mm. Does that focal length suit your style? Or are you taking photos more at 50mm length. If you're taking more at 85mm get the 85mm lens, if not then its likely not worth it and you will be forcing your style based on your lens when you should choose your lens based on your style.

When you're taking portraits and using your 24-105 ... do you like the perspective you get at 85mm. Does that focal length suit your style? Or are you taking photos more at 50mm length. If you're taking more at 85mm get the 85mm lens, if not then its likely not worth it and you will be forcing your style based on your lens when you should choose your lens based on your style.

I've just had a quick look and I sit between 70-100 when using the 24-105. So kind of in the middle!

A suggestion. Use your 24-105 set at 85mm for some portraits. If you find you like the setting then it looks as though it would be a good option. I prefer a slightly longer lens for portraits, but that's a personal choice

A suggestion. Use your 24-105 set at 85mm for some portraits. If you find you like the setting then it looks as though it would be a good option. I prefer a slightly longer lens for portraits, but that's a personal choice
That's an idea. I'll have a go this weekend and see how it feels

Try and find a nice used bargain Sigma 85mm f1.4, the older non art one.

I had one and used it on my 20D and 5D and I thought it was the best AF lens I'd ever used, until I shifted to Sony.

The Canon 85mm f/1.8 and the 6d are a superb combination, eoone of my favourite lenses! The IQ is very hard to beat (not just for the price) unless you buy the L lens :)

Great for portraits and street stuff, and brilliant for macro just by adding a Raynox to the front!

I have/had both.

They are both good lenses but the 85/1.8 is one of the best bang for buck lens anywhere. You can find it sub £200 easily and it is just awesome.

85mm f1.2, you know it makes sense!

Actually do this instead.

85/1.2 !!!

80ReJEL.jpg

VNnuJDi.jpg

t7bXjsv.jpg

Yyd7gic.jpg

xmNKi7L.jpg

lPybX2d.jpg

OnRCcDc.jpg

W0uBjbG.jpg

Last edited:
I'm lucky to have the 85 1.8 and 1.2. While the 1.2 gives quite unique looking pictures it's heavy and slow to focus so the 1.8 gets more use as it's super fast to focus and light.

I'm lucky to have the 85 1.8 and 1.2. While the 1.2 gives quite unique looking pictures it's heavy and slow to focus so the 1.8 gets more use as it's super fast to focus and light.

I actually never touched the 1.8 when i got the 1.2, which sat around for 2 years before I sold it on. I got my way round the speed, as you can see. The hardest thing for focusing is when the subject walks towards you. I do that with this too.

c43LAi7.jpg

S6Azc8H.jpg

nsWlucS.jpg

d5cDMc5.jpg

DjHtRxn.jpg

bIFMj1Z.jpg

6fFFo7t.jpg

Last edited:
Great images Raymond! To be more specific the 1.8 wins for fast action in low light. For example recently shot indoor ice hockey, would not have fancied my chances with the 1.2. But maybe next time I take both and do a test.

All the 85mm lenses are pretty decent, even the 1.8 one. 50mm is the complete opposite - the only one I would buy if I for some strange reason couldn't just use my 85mm or 35mm for the job - would be Sigma ART.

All the 85mm lenses are pretty decent, even the 1.8 one. 50mm is the complete opposite - the only one I would buy if I for some strange reason couldn't just use my 85mm or 35mm for the job - would be Sigma ART.

The Canon f/1.8 STM is supposed to be very good.

For 'serious results, the Sigma would be my choice too.
The Canon f/1.8 STM is supposed to be very good.

But the STM is IMHO a better bet than either the previous Mk1, MkII or the 1.4.

I've not tested it hugely yet, but I can say it's a great improvement on the mkII.

This^

The 85mm 1.8 is a great lens (for the money) and a great portrait lens (on crop)

The 135mm f2 is awesome (requires no qualification), and a great portrait lens on FF. (the 2nd lens I bought when I got the 6d)
How does it compares to 100mml for portraits?

How does it compares to 100mml for portraits?
I've never used the 100mm :(

In my film days I used a PK mount 135mm for years, when I went AF I used the Canon 135mm SF, and when I started shooting crop I got the 85mm 1.8, so you might say that 135 is my favoured focal length :rolleyes:

For portraits both the 50 and 85 have a place. That said on FF I will always grab the 85 F1.8 any day of the week.

If you think you would miss the 50mm grab the 85 and then pick up a 50mm F1.8 STM later on.

If your using FF I guess you understand the benefits of a shallower DoF; this, coupled to a f1.2 will give a very shallow DoF at potentially reduced headshot distances on a FF. I tried the f1.2 in all its glory, its beautiful, but I ended up using it at f3.5 to get the effect I wanted...
Decision, - I saved money, bought the f1.8 and been delighted with both the results and the pounds in my pocket.

Back