Canon 50mm F1.8 v F1.4 & Also Other primes

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
Right, just a quick question:

I have found myself using my 50mm F1.8 more and more on location shoots and just using my zooms for indoor shoots. Which leads me on to my question.

I know the build quality of the F1.8 is pretty poor and you really do get what you pay for (Actually, I believe more as its a cracking little lens) however I have been looking at the F1.4 and wondering as far as IQ goes, how much better is the F1.4. These are going for around £240 used, Is it worth the upgrade (will be paying around £180ish once sold my F1.8)?

I've also been looking at the 35mm F2 and 85mm F1.8

Has anyone got any experience of theses two lenses? The 85mm I feel would probably be too long when using on a crop body. The 35mm however would allow for shooting in tighter spaces and I would get a bit more freedom using it over the 50mm F1.8 indoors (I have recently found myself using 24mm on my zoom indoors! Haha)

See here http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=383055 (just down the page). There were tons of threads just a few days ago!

In short 50/1.8 II - horrible, AF very imprecise and unreliable; 50/1.4 - still v. poor build, but optically much better; 85/1.8 - great fast and very sharp (the one to get). I have no experience of 35/2 but it is very similar to 50/1.8 mk1 in terms of build.

Back