Canon 50mm options

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all

I've been playing about with 85mm on my film SLR a lot recently, and realised its a focal length I genuinely like. This led to me borrowing a 50mm 1.8 off a friend, and its certainly enjoyable to shoot with.

So, I'm looking to get myself a 50mm lens, and would like an opinion on the options. I've heard that the Sigma is generally better than the Canon (shocker! :LOL:), being sharper, nicer bokeh and faster at focusing.

Basic question is, is the Sigma worth the ~£80 extra over the Canon? I could always go for the Canon 1.8, but I can't get used to the idea of losing FTM focusing, daft as it sounds!

Help! :thinking:

the canon 1.8 is a bargain
I loved mine but upgraded to the 1.4 for build quality and focusing
not used the sigma 50mm.
I have the sigma 30mm 1.4 and it's nice but I think the canon 50mm 1.4 is better and more reliable. that's the only comparison between the two I can really offer I'm afraid

I've had the both the Canon and Sigma 50mm f1.4's, and I wouldn't touch the Canon version with a stick covered in dog ****.....having said that, Sigma have dreadful QC troubles sometimes, and my 50mm has been back to the factory twice for calibration!!

The Sigma is definite worth the extra, but only if it's a well calibrated copy!! ;)

Back