Canon 55-250mm f/4-f/5.6 IS extension tubes

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I've been reading about macro photography and decided I'd like to give it a go. I know a dedicated macro lens would be the best option, but I can't justify the cost atm.

I've also become confused reading about extension tubes... what kind do I need to buy for this lens? The front element diameter is 58mm if that helps.

I also have a Sigma 17-70mm but I'm assuming I should use my telephoto instead of this?

Thanks in advance.

With the 55-250, as a cheap way of getting going (and it costs less than the Canon tubes with AF confirm), take a look at the Raynox DCR250. I got mine for about £30 from ebay. The Raynox clips onto the lens filter threads. Here's a couple of example shots..

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

These are not cropped, shot with the 55-250 and the Raynox.

Great results John (y) - I have just ordered the Raynox you mention from the guy on Ebay based in Poland so a bit of a leap of faith :help: - Seemed like a good compromise if you only want to do the occasional macro shot ... Paul

At what zoom (mm) were these taken? Was it the full 250mm? Also where did you purchase yours from John?

Great results John (y) - I have just ordered the Raynox you mention from the guy on Ebay based in Poland so a bit of a leap of faith :help: - Seemed like a good compromise if you only want to do the occasional macro shot ... Paul
I thought Sod it! And i have ordered from the same place!! Good luck :D

Any idea if the Raynox would fit onto a Sigma 70-300 DG APO lens?

The Raynox is "Compatible with all cameras with thread 52-67mm" & I believe the Sigma is 58mm so Yes (y)
Paul

Anyone else thinking of ordering from this £bay seller I ordered mine on 16th & it arrived today (20th) - Brand new boxed with instructions & a free mini tripod (pretty cack but ok for 'er 'indoors compact camera) - Just need some time to try it out :thinking:
Paul

I included the details of those shots in the border and exif. With the Raynox, you have full control of the lens including, if you can find just the right spot, AF confirm, be warned, there's not a lot of leeway... even if you stop the lens down a lot.

That's the seller I got mine from probably. Not a lot of communication, but I was surprised how quickly it arrived and how well packed it was. The Raynox now lives in it's little pot in my camera bag so can quickly and easily (see my barbwire shot from the other day) attach it for something that needs that close up detail.

Back