Canon 55-250mm second hand price

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Is £160 delivered a good price for the above lens. It includes a hood and a cheapo filter.

The lens is as new and has hardly been used.

I know it's not the greatest lens but I'm still learning and I need more zoom at times then what my standard 18-55 gives.

I'm pretty sure you can get it brand new for £180 so for the extra £20 I think i'd personally go down that route.

£179.99 + delivery from camerbox and that includes a 2 year warranty.
The hoods are around £19.99.
I'd buy it new at that price.
I did :)

It's not bad. I got one bundled with my 40D, so can't really compare price-wise. I'll say one thing though: At its best, this lens is very sharp. In decent light, it's great for getting small animals/large insects/flowers etc etc. It's not always as bad as some people make out. good luck.

Cheers guys. My main photography will be cars, both moving and stills. I will eventually buy some L glass but I'm not prepared to spend a whole load of dosh on something that at the moment will not give me any better results then the one above.

My standard 18-55 is good, however at some tracks I'm too far away to get good shots hence needing the zoom.

I won't be ordering till the end of the month anyway so I'm in no great rush. If someone knows of a another lens that offers better performance for the money then I'm all ears. :D

I'm not sure you'll find anything better for that price. The only other that springs to mind within that price range is the Sigma 70-300 but I don't think it's quite as sharp and you don't get IS.

It's even cheaper on OneStop Digital at £167.99

The only problem is that Canon UK probably wont deal with it under warranty.
For the sake of 13 quid, it'd be far less hassle sending it back to camerabox than it would be to HK if it goes wrong under warranty.
Camerbox probably also supply grey imports as they give a 2 year warranty but as I said above, dealing with them would be a lot easier than a HK based company.

I'm not sure you'll find anything better for that price. The only other that springs to mind within that price range is the Sigma 70-300 but I don't think it's quite as sharp and you don't get IS.

I had a look at the Sigma in a shop and I think 300mm will be overkill and as you say, no IS.

Hmm, going to need a battery grip as well I think as from reading around IS hammers the battery life. This is an expensive hobby, and I've not even started properly! :LOL:

The only problem is that Canon UK probably wont deal with the warranty.
For the sake of 13 quid, it'd be far less hassle sending it back to camerabox than it would be to HK if it goes wrong under warrany.

Cheers for the heads up. I spend more then that on a round of beer in the pub without complaining so for some piece of mind it's nothing really.

Helpfull bunch, thanks all. (y)

I got mine from Camerabox and it arrived next day. With regards to a hood, I got one for about £4 from China on Ebay!! :)

I had a look at the Sigma in a shop and I think 300mm will be overkill and as you say, no IS. Hmm, going to need a battery grip as well I think as from reading around IS hammers the battery life. This is an expensive hobby, and I've not even started properly!

Too be honest, I don't find battery life an issue with IS lenses and my 450D.
7dayshop are quite good for batteries.
I bought two for my 450D for 13 quid inc delivery.
Alas you are correct about the expense of this hobby but spending wisely can result in some pretty decent kit for those of us who are to new to DSLR photography and not ready yet to pay for L glass.

I got mine from Camerabox and it arrived next day. With regards to a hood, I got one for about £4 from China on Ebay!! :)

I know it's going off topic (sorry OP).
Do you find the hood helps much?
I was considering ordering one last night.

OK so it doesn't hammer the life, but is a grip a good idea? I'll get a spare battery anyway - along with a bigger bag as I can just squeeze my 400D and standard lens into my current one!

More for the list. :LOL:

I know it's going off topic (sorry OP).
Do you find the hood helps much?
I was considering ordering one last night.

No probs, was about to ask the same. I guess it'll help a lot with flare.

I prefered the feel of a grip with my 400d, and when I moved to a 40d I got a grip to go with that too, the camera feels better balanced with the grip, I find that helps me hold it steady, certainly when you've got a big lens stuck on the front.

Good God, when did I get to be a "forum regular". I've made a point of never being a regular anything!!! :p

Tara

TBH, I've not really had a proper play with it yet (as I got a 17-70 Sigma at the same time), but I'm guessing the same with regards to flare, plus it'll help protect the lens if you drop it, especially if you're not going to use a UV filter.

I prefered the feel of a grip with my 400d, and when I moved to a 40d I got a grip to go with that too, the camera feels better balanced with the grip, I find that helps me hold it steady, certainly when you've got a big lens stuck on the front.

Good God, when did I get to be a "forum regular". I've made a point of never being a regular anything!!! :p

Tara

Cheers Tara. (y)

I'm about to click 'buy now' on a UK seller for a hood for my 50-250mm and 17-85mm IS lenses.
I wouldn't mind but I've only just received the 17-85mm!

Must....stop....spending....hoods....may....come....in....handy....for....holiday....must....stop...Oh to hell with it! Just don't tell my good lady

Ordered!
I'm now walking away from the computer before my bank account suffers a credit crunch.

I bought a used 55-250 from Ffordes for £150 inc del. specifically to go on the 450D for a few jobs I have coming up.
The 1.6 crop factor is equivalent to 88-400 so the reach is very useful and at this price it's a no brainer.

55mm (88mm equiv)

small.jpg

250mm (400mm equiv)

far-away.jpg

I was a bit dubious, departing from L glass for 'proper' work but this is an excellent lens for the money and it works
very well with the 450D, not surprising as they are both TIPA 2008 winners. There's a bit of falloff in the corners
but only people with an overdeveloped critical eye will notice. Buy one, you won't regret it.

notes: RAW file opened in DPP, daylight, landscape, sharpness upped to 5, auto levels in pshop, save for web jpeg max.

I've got a brand new Canon Hood for the 55-250, thi is the original thing not a cheap chinky one, never used still in the box, £10 delivered.

PM me.

Victor

I've got a brand new Canon Hood for the 55-250, thi is the original thing not a cheap chinky one, never used still in the box, £10 delivered.

PM me.

Victor

D'oh too late for me, oh well nevermind.
I've sourced a genuine Canon hood for the 50-250mm via ebay for 14 quid so I can't complain.
Someone jump on this as it's a bargain :)

Back