Canon 550D, any good for videos?

Name
Lawrence CLIFT
Edit My Images
Yes
I am thinking of part exchanging my Canon 450D for a 550D so that I can utilise it's video capabilities. My questions are:-

Is it any good?

A friend has a Nikon (can't remember which model) but it doesn't auto focus when zooming, does the 500D?

Is it any good in low light?

The 5D would be at the top of my list, but it's down to budget at the moment. Thanks.

LAWRENCE

Autofocusing for video with a DSLR whether zooming or not is a non starter. Manual focus is the way to go with video, and yes the 550D will be better than the 450D

The new Canon 650D has autofocus in video mode but only with certain lenses I think.

not true m8 it will focus with any lens but with a slow and loud focusing lens it wont be worth it. as the new 18-135 STM is almost silent

not true m8 it will focus with any lens but with a slow and loud focusing lens it wont be worth it. as the new 18-135 STM is almost silent

Even with the STM lenses, I wouldn't bother with the autofocus.

ohara said:
The continuous AF in video mode on the 650D is useless

Not totally useless, its wonderfull for draining your battery lol

I love the 550d. I was in a similar position when I got it (wanted the 5d but couldn't afford it for my life) so went with the 550 and haven't looked back since.

If you want to get an idea of the quality check out the top video on my blog:
http://jamesgreenlandphotography.wordpress.com/videography/

There are the other ones on the page too, but the top is the only one in 1080HD.

Also, its pretty much as shot - I only made sublte changes to the global contrast..

And with regards to AF - just don't. Its horrendously slow and noisy at the best of times. Manual focus all the way

i used to shoot video on 600d (same as 550d nearly) and it was good, i would recommend, then jump to a 5d when you can after that body.

manual focus all the time for dslr, try to keep in infinity range for most of your shots if possible, other than that its all finger work and trying to stay smooth.

650d with stm lens...useless! i was trying it and the chap in jessops was all excited and asked "would you get rid of the 5d for this then yeah???" ....."ERR NO" haha!

i found the tamron 10-24mm a fantastic lens for shooting most shots with the 550d/600d

Back