Canon 550D blinkies

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Just bought the 550D as a walk about camera. Trying to find where to turn on blinkies when viewing an image but it seems it doesn't have this function, I really like this feature so I am a bit disappointed or am I just not able to find it.
Oh, and the shutter noise is weird.

Dai

Highlight clipping warning on the review. Clipped areas 'blink' or flash.

The 550D definitely does have the function. From memory it works when you press the DISP button during playback.

Yes - it definitely has it, but just sold mine & traded up to 7D, so can't remember how to turn on / off - but definitely remember turning it on early in ownership, then leaving it on all the time.

Have you tried pressing either the 'info' button or the 'disp' button when you are reviewing the image. I haven't used my 550D for a while, but I'm sure I managed to get it to display the blinkies in full screen. If you have the manual have a look at page 17something in chapter 8 (IIRC) and it gives you the info there.

Canon calls blinkies Highlight Alert. It's under the playback menu tab.

It shows on the full screen image, and also on the thumbnail alongside the histogram, but the blinkies are switched off when viewing an enlarged (zoomed in) section.

If you enable "highlight tone priority" in the custom functions menu you shouldnt have to worry about clipped highlights.

Back