Canon 550d do I keep or get rid?

Name
Cathy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
Followed advice earlier to take my camera to AJ Johnston in Glasgow as it was not focusing and I had also popped out the focus screen trying to clean it etc!
Staff were very helpful and it seems the camera needs a whole new auto focus system costing around 155.00
Ouch! but it has to be done.

I am feeling disappointed as the camera is only just over one year old.
Do you think I should get rid of it after being fixed and upgrade to the next level.

I know I am not going to trust my camera the way I did and also feel it may lose money as I have had it fixed.

Opinions welcome!
Cathy

Had that happen to mines last year, I sent it away to get it fixed and kept it, well worth keeping, great camera in my opinion!

Andrew and Keith I appreciate your opinions I can see it is not going to be an easy decision lol!

I always have had Nikon before only just changed to Canon and have really enjoyed using this camera.Truth is I am still learning how to use it and have been trying not to use AF all the time but it would not even work with manual :(

As I am sure you know it only takes one small thing to change your mind but it could have happened to any camera I suppose.
Mind you I was shocked at how many people have had Auto Focus problems with this camera when I looked up Google for help.
Guess I need to wait until I get it back and see how I feel :)
Cathy

Mind you I was shocked at how many people have had Auto Focus problems with this camera when I looked up Google for help.

Trouble with Google, the internet and forums is that people only post when they have a problem.

Now that is very true! and I would now be the first to do the same .

That said I bought this camera in the first place due to all the good things I read about it.

I would keep it it's been repaired and should now be good for a long time:)
The 550D is a very good camera too:)

If its just over a year old a call to Canin might get it fixed for free. Whilst the warranty is 12 months the sale of goods act expects a bit more than that in terms of reliability.

I'd say keep it, if you're paying for it to be repaired, seems little point then getting it back and selling it on - should come back as a 'new' camera and have warranty, so I'd keep it, use it and enjoy it.

I would over time, look for what improvements you want from the camera - this will then help you choose what model to go for if / when you do decide to upgrade...

You say it's just over a year old - have you contacted Canon directly, they may offer some discount / free repair if it's just out of warranty ?

Last edited:
Thank you everyone.

I guess I just need to wait until I get it back and see how I get on.

Phil my problem is I can't find my receipt anywhere I think I may have put it in the box for my Tamron lens and binned it .

Never mind! I will content myself with trying it out once fixed and maybe my confidence in it will come back
Cathy

.......my problem is I can't find my receipt anywhere I think I may have put it in the box for my Tamron lens and binned it .....
Cathy

Where did you buy the lens from ?
Perhaps they'll still have a copy on their system ?

Another option to look at is how did you pay for it ? Was it on a card ? Perhaps the statement would show date purchased ???

Hmm. Fair bit of money to pay out for a slightly older model. How much would you pay for one second hand? Take off the (Estimated?) repair costs?

Sounds like you could need a tougher model, xxD or even One series? Lower models are built DOWN to a price, not a quality. S/H 1D3's are good value and 1D2's are going cheep.
(Relatively speaking)!

Cathy,

I wonder if you could get a copy of your bank statement showing the transaction and use that to ask the store for another copy of the receipt? I managed to do this a while back.

If it's just over 1 year old, I would definitely turn around to Canon and ask them to repair it. If they want to charge you, I would just say "Look, I've only had this camera for 1 year and it already needs a new AF system costing this much..." and see if they can give you a good deal or whatever. Worth a try because it's a defect.

I've heard so many good things about the 550D so I would personally go ahead and get it repaired especially if you've owned it from new.

This is all very good advice and I thank all of you for taking the time to help.

I am just going to wait and see how I feel when I get it back. It will probably be fine but we will see!

My husband bought me the camera as a surprise and I do not want to disappoint him, he thinks it is in for a new focus screen.:)

Never mind I will let you all know how I get on when I get back in a few weeks.
Cathy

This is all very good advice and I thank all of you for taking the time to help.

I am just going to wait and see how I feel when I get it back. It will probably be fine but we will see!

My husband bought me the camera as a surprise and I do not want to disappoint him, he thinks it is in for a new focus screen.:)

Never mind I will let you all know how I get on when I get back in a few weeks.
Cathy

Aaah, if it's a gift keep it and just get it repaired ;).

Aaah, if it's a gift keep it and just get it repaired ;).

Well nearly had it back today and was rather pleased .

The technician called to say the camera was working and the focus was ok in his opinion as he had tested it out with a couple of other lenses . So no new AF part may be required.

He requested that I bring in the kit lens as he felt that this may be the problem.

So quickly got a train to Glasgow only to find that my camera was still not working and was not focusing with my lens or the test lens used in the shop :( so very disappointed .

However left my lens and will now wait yet again to see what comes next

Last edited:
Well I have to say even though I have not got my camera back yet,the staff at AJ Johnstone have been brilliant! They have called at every stage of checking my camera and given me updates of what stage they are at!
Not many would bother so well done! :)

If its just over a year old a call to Canin might get it fixed for free. Whilst the warranty is 12 months the sale of goods act expects a bit more than that in terms of reliability.

A friend of mine had problems with a 550D just out of warranty and Canon still fixed it. It has more problems now though. On the other hand my wife has the same camera (bought when they first came out) and no problems at all.

My wifes 550D has been used in all kinds of conditions, from the hot Nevada desserts to the cold wilderness of the Arctic - no problems at all (y)

Well I have to say even though I have not got my camera back yet,the staff at AJ Johnstone have been brilliant! They have called at every stage of checking my camera and given me updates of what stage they are at!
Not many would bother so well done! :)

That is good customer service and good to hear. Hope you get it back soon.

Keep it. The 550D is a cracking camera and every thing in this world that is man made has a percentage of duff copies etc. Once repaired it will be like new!

Yeah! Picked up my camera this morning :)

All seems well at the moment so will need to get out soon and capture a few pics. Focus working well no more lens going in and out trying to search to focus.

Thanks to everyone for your replies and many thanks to AJ Johnstone and the member who gave me the link to go there .
Cathy

Glad you have it back & all is well. I would definitely keep it as it is an excellent camera. :)

I only sold mine as I bought a 7D as I photograph mainly fast moving objects.
The 550d is in my opinion one of the best value for money camera's there is & I wouldn't hesitate at getting another. :)

Back