Canon 550D, whats a great macro lens to use?

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm new and just got the Canon 550D with the basic Canon 18-55mm lens what comes supplied with the body.
I really like close up macro shots, so question is can anyone recommend me a good macro lens so i can read up on them and maybe purchase.

Seeing as you have a Canon body you could go the whole hog with the mighty Canon MP-E65mm.

Or you wont go wrong with a Canon 100mm Macro , internal focus and nice & sharp with good colour rendition. You also need some diffused flash to get the best out of any macro lens.

I can vouch for the Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS. Absolutely stunning lens, however the non IS version is also said to be just as good.

Lower down you the Sigma 105mm, Tamron 90mm, Sigma 60mm. Loads to choose from. Pretty much any macro lens will be superb from any manufacturer.

can anyone post some pics they have used with thier recommendations on here please if thats possible

Yes that's the one. You can use EF lenses no problem (but 1D and 5D users can't use EF-S lenses).

There are probably quite a few of those on the used market now as people are changing to the IS version. Nothing at all wrong with this older one though.

can anyone post some pics they have used with thier recommendations on here please if thats possible

Canon 100mm

fly13.jpg

MP-e

4818186877_4654a7520d_b.jpg

4500949288_93d09ef46f_b.jpg

A few from each lens from my archive.

Canon 100mm f/2.8IS

Grassdrop by TCR4x4, on Flickr​

Sigma 105mm

_DSC9551.jpg

Tamron 90mm

dewgrass-1.jpg

I am sure someone will shoot me down for saying this, but like 50mm 1.4s there are few duff 100(ish)mm macros around.

I am sure someone will shoot me down for saying this, but like 50mm 1.4s there are few duff 100(ish)mm macros around.

Care to share? :shrug:

wow stunning shots, they all look good lens better start checking prices on them all now lol

Some great photos on here. I know it is probably easy to google for prices, but might be good to let the OP know how much they cost roughly (particularly if bought second hand if opening poster is considering that)

omg those photos are amazing but theres no way i can afford 600-700 quid for a lens atm, got a decision to make now should i go for the canon 250mm lens or go straight for 350 quid canon 100mm macro lens now

omg those photos are amazing but theres no way i can afford 600-700 quid for a lens atm, got a decision to make now should i go for the canon 250mm lens or go straight for 350 quid canon 100mm macro lens now

out of those lens only the 100mm will shoot macro...........

Care to maker a point?

I think he was actually wanting you to elaborate on what you said.

You know, like give us examples and your experience so we can see your comment in context. Otherwise it is just as useless as the comment of yours I'm replying to.

Back