Canon 5d II noise pattern

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm fairly new to the 5d2, and even newer to shooting in raw. Can anyone please tell me if the noise pattern I'm seeing in low light / high ISO is typical of the sensor in this camera, please? There's more of a regular pattern / streak to it than I was expecting.

The image below is typical of the noise, and has been PP'd to exaggerate what I'm seeing. It was shot in H2 mode, but the noise can be seen from ISO800 upwards (though nothing like as bad, obviously).

Original RAW is here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive...UitL4d4mxojmvuxp8W?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

Thanks,

Iain

IMG_2590.jpg

It was well documented on release for both the mk1 and mk2. There's pattern in the noise where shadow areas are pulled.

Those old Canons don't have the capacity for recovery that a modern sensor does.

If you expose properly you'll see no problems ;)

Cool, thanks for that. Just wanted to check as it was a 2nd-hand camera, and hadn't noticed it until messing up the exposure after I put on my big-boy pants and went to M mode :D

Cool, thanks for that. Just wanted to check as it was a 2nd-hand camera, and hadn't noticed it until messing up the exposure after I put on my big-boy pants and went to M mode :D
f*** it I'm getting t shirts printed...:D

Why do newbies think M mode is some kind of goal they have to achieve some macho aim. o_O

There's times when M is the best answer, but it's rarely the only answer, and it helps if you understand the question before blurting out 'manual mode' just in case. :thinking:

Why do newbies think M mode is some kind of goal they have to achieve some macho aim. o_O

There's times when M is the best answer, but it's rarely the only answer, and it helps if you understand the question before blurting out 'manual mode' just in case. :thinking:
Very true, in fact I shoot mostly in aperture priority, and just tweak the ISO so my shutter speed is what I need and use exposure compensation if it requires it. Fully manual isn't always the best way to shoot, even if you can do it standing on your head backwards :)

Anyway, a bit OT!

I'd buy one.

Back