canon 5D lenses

Name
Philip wood
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a canon 30D and am thinking of buying a 5D and wonder if all lenses are interchangable between the two.
I have a canon 18/85 IS EFS ultasonic among others.
Can anyone help please.

EF-S lenses will not fit the 5D - do not even attempt it. The mount will fit but there is likely to be a crunching noise if the back of the EF-S lens hits the mirror.

Also the 5D is supposed to really show up the flaws of cheaper lenses

Yup, EF-S lenses are for the APS-C sensor sized Canon's only. EF's will fit all EOS family cameras.

I think the 3rd party lenses optimised for x1.6 crop cameras - eg from Sigma and Tamron will still work on a 5D though, although the edges may sugger from vignetting and distortion that you don't see on a crop body as the sensor doesn't look though this part of the lens.

As said above. All Canon EF lenses will work fine, the EF-S lenses won't.

I think the 3rd party lenses optimised for x1.6 crop cameras - eg from Sigma and Tamron will still work on a 5D though, although the edges may sugger from vignetting and distortion that you don't see on a crop body as the sensor doesn't look though this part of the lens.

I once fitted a Sigma 17-70 to a 5D just to see the result and I ended up with a photo in the middle of a black hole lol. The vignetting is huge :eek:

btw - IMHO the Canon 24-105 f4 IS is the ideal "walk about" lens for the 5D. It's the one you get as the "kit" lens too

HTH :)

If you switch to a 5D you will probably see an improvement to image quality as well. The chip and processor in the 5D are one of the best Canon have made. One magazine editor, that I submit work too noticed the quality improvement over the 20D. They were happy with the 20D results,but the 5D made a difference.

Problem is it's going to start to get expensive. Cheap lenses are out of the question. Welcome to the world of "L" Glass. Good news though the EF lenses will still fit your 30D, if not alway the other way round.

Back