Canon 5D Mark I - No serial number

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

My Canon 5D broke at the last wedding I did; the mirror came loose and has now smashed into pieces so I need to send it off for repair.

I am eligible for Canon CPS, but I haven't yet registered everything. In doing so I've discovered that my Canon 5D has no serial number:

kWsXq.jpg

Does anyone know why this might be, and what I should do with regards to registering it and sending it for repair?

I know the obvious answer is 'call Canon'; but I just wondered if this had happened to anyone else.

Thanks

Lightroom also shows the serial number in metadata.

I've just realised that I should probably just check the EXIF for the serial number. I'll do this and register for CPS so I can get it repaired :)

Stolen, just a thought and not what you want to hear.

I imagine Canon will tell me if it's stolen when I send it for repair. That would be interesting, ha!

Last edited:
Canon would only know if insurance companies or Police give them a list of serial numbers recorded as stolen. I'd like to think that happens to help deal with thefts, but I'm not sure it does.

I've just tried EOSInfo and it says the serial number is '0'. Do I own the original 5D or something :p

How can I get it from the EXIF of an image?

Open an image in DPP, right click and then select "Info" (the bottom option in the pop-up)....your serial number should appear in the image data panel.

Bob

I just thought I'd update this, I found the serial number within the EXIF data, sent it off for repair and Canon fixed it and cleaned it for free :)

Neither of my 5D Classics had a serial number on them. They did when I bought them new but it wears off easily on them :)

Back