Canon 5d mark iii battery drain

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I've recently bought a 2nd hand canon 5d mark iii from the classifieds on here.

I then bought a meike battery grip from amazon.

Using the battery grip, the camera randomly turned off (I changed it to not turn off for 8 minutes but this made no difference) and also drained both batteries overnight even when it said they were full.

I assumed it could be the battery grip and original owner said they had no such issues.

I've sent the battery grip back to Amazon.

However today when using the camera with battery in the camera itself I took about 7 photos this afternoon after fully charging the battery last night. Now at 7pm the battery is flat again, so much so that it won't even turn the camera on.

I'm hoping it's just the battery that is faulty / past its shelf life but worse case is it's the camera itself :-(.

I'm using the 2nd battery I received with it and have just taken 17 photos and it's now down to 98%. I'm gonna leave it and see what happens to the battery.

The camera says that both batteries have a 2 out of 3 recharge performance.

I assume if it's OK with this battery then the other battery is past it. However if this battery does the same then this could mean it's the camera? :-(

I just wondered if anyone has any other thoughts as to what I can test / rule out?

It could also be the lens....the power switch on the 5D3 does not cut the power to the lens.

Bob

It could also be the lens....the power switch on the 5D3 does not cut the power to the lens.

Bob

Is there anyway I can test that and what does that mean for my lens?

I assume if I swap lens that is attached to it and see if it does the same thing?

Does this mean I can't leave a lens attached to the camera?

Simply fit a different lens or remove the lens and fit the cap. Under normal circumstances you should be able to leave the lens attached but a lens fault can drain the battery.
My suggestion of a lens fault was simply to elimate other possible causes and avoid sending in the 5D3 when something else is dodgy.

Bob

Simply fit a different lens or remove the lens and fit the cap. Under normal circumstances you should be able to leave the lens attached but a lens fault can drain the battery.
My suggestion of a lens fault was simply to elimate other possible causes and avoid sending in the 5D3 when something else is dodgy.

Bob

The lens I've left on there is the lens I already had with my previous 6d. Therfore I wouldnt expect the lens to be the issue as it wasn't with my 6d, unless there is some quirk with this lens and the 5d3.

Anyway once I've checked whether i still have the issue when using the other battery I'll try this suggestion thanks.

Last edited:
Back