Canon 5D Mark IV Landscape settings

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
This might be a strange question, but what settings would you use for landscapes with this camera?

RAW

Live view

Digitial spirit level

Manual focus (with and without dof preview button enabled)

2 second timer release or remote release

Manual or aperture priority with exposure compensation

Auto exposure bracketing

Neutral picture mode

Rgb histogram enabled in image review

Last edited:
I don't have a Canon anymore but unless it's got some super duper landscape mode I'd use it like any other.
Nothing wrong with Craig's set-up but personally:

I wouldn't use live view much myself.
I wouldn't necessarily use manual focus either. Or dof preview.
I would have it set up for back button focus so you can focus and recompose, sometimes I'd adjust the focus point but old habits and all that.
Unless I wanted some particular dof effect (rare in landscape) or wanted to max the exposure time it'd just be at F8 give or take a stop dependent upon lens.
The rest I'd do the same.
Spirit level, 2 sec delay or cable release, mirror lock up, Manual or Av. I wouldn't necessarily bracket but I tend to use a ND grad.
If you're shooting in raw the picture mode doesn't matter - I think?

Dave, I think you need to be more specific in what settings you require. Personally I think you mean iso, aperture, metering, image format and associated adjustments etc.?

Plan what you expect from the shoot, times, light etc. Turn up at your desired location and shoot accordingly...
There are no magic settings, it all depends on what you are trying to achieve, the composition, the light available. For example take waterfalls, seaside/waves. Do you want a long exposure for milky smooth water or a very short exposure to freeze the water, catch droplets etc.

Never used one to be fair but reading your post reminds me of a review I read on the 5div that said the same. Very good point.

Although we are all wasting our time as @Dael_Pix can't be bothered to like any posts or reply to say what specifically he wants to know...

Last edited:
Never used one to be fair but reading your post reminds me of a review I read on the 5div that said the same. Very good point.

Although we are all eating our time as @Dael_Pix can't be bothered to like any posts or reply to say what specifically he wants to know...

I'm assuming those are the sort of things he means because other than that landscape settings are pretty much the same for any camera... strange question really because it all depends on what you're pointing the camera at, what the lights doing and what you're trying to achieve.

for landscapes I'm normally looking for front to back sharpness so would choose an aperture with hyperfocal distance that allows for that and check sharpness in liveview x10

I'm assuming those are the sort of things he means because other than that landscape settings are pretty much the same for any camera... strange question really because it all depends on what you're pointing the camera at, what the lights doing and what you're trying to achieve.

That's what I assumed. Camera set up and workflow approach rather than exposure settings which will be different for a whole host of reasons including the light and creative intent.

Although we are all wasting our time as @Dael_Pix can't be bothered to like any posts or reply to say what specifically he wants to know...

Oh I'm sorry I've been busy (saying this in a sarcastic voice). Sheesh

Thank you for letting me know your thoughts everyone.

Haven't had any time to get the camera a whirl on landscapes yet. How accurate is the auto focus in live view? I have noticed in Lr that I don't need to move the sliders much now compared to the 450D crop, or is that just me?

So the picture modes don't matter? I always leave it set on 'standard'.

I have three days off next month and I'm planning on heading to High and Low Force in Teesdale and also the Lake District. Plus I need to get some shots of the salmon and sea trout at Stainforth near Settle!

Interesting read on the link Andrew gave about the Canon Custom Modes. I'll be honest, I never focus 3 thirds into the frame. I have always used spot focus and focused on the subject that I wanted in focus. I guess I'm doing it wrong and need to change the way I take landscapes?

Oh I'm sorry I've been busy (saying this in a sarcastic voice). Sheesh

I'll be honest, I never focus 3 thirds into the frame. I have always used spot focus and focused on the subject that I wanted in focus. I guess I'm doing it wrong and need to change the way I take landscapes?

Focusing a third of the way in is a general rule of thumb for getting good front to back sharpeness. If your subject is in the distance and you focus on that then if you have something in the foreground it might well be out of focus. Google hyperfocal distance if you really want to nail the foucs for maximum depth of field.

AF in autofocus is very good on the 5D mkIV

Last edited:

Also I would like to point out that this time last year was a very difficult time with my mother coming to the end of her life (on the 22nd) so I won't apologize for not replying thank you very much. And I probably won't be in the mood as this weekend draws near.

Also I would like to point out that this time last year was a very difficult time with my mother coming to the end of her life (on the 22nd) so I won't apologize for not replying thank you very much. And I probably won't be in the mood as this weekend draws near.

Well to be fair you had been online posting on other threads on Saturday and Sunday, which is partly why I made my comment...

Whatever, it's the internet, not worth getting arguing about Dave. I am not expecting an apology but I will say I am truly sorry to hear about your Mum and hope this weekend goes ok for you and your family. Hopefully, photography can act as a positive escape for you and help to take your mind off things a little bit.

Back to the thread, I would just say, whilst Alex Nail is one of my favourite photographers, I would question the sense in using the custom modes exclusively. The main problem being that makes my teeth itch is the way as soon as the auto power off has kicked in, the custom mode forgets any exposure compensation in semi auto modes, or shutter/aperture changes you have made in manual mode.

Where the custom modes are good is to have one set top for landscape and one set up for moving objects. Basic quick go to settings, so that you can pull the camera out of the bag at very short notice and get a shot quickly with the right menu wide settings enabled. As soon as you are set up and have time on your hands, I personally would switch to manual or aperture priority and take my time to check, and double check all the other necessary settings are correct for the type of photography I am doing. Then you won't suffer the camera annoyingly reverting to pre picked custom exposure settings every time it powers off.

So in essence, use them, but only to quickly get a shot. With time on your hands don's use the custom modes...

Back to the thread, I would just say, whilst Alex Nail is one of my favourite photographers, I would question the sense in using the custom modes exclusively. The main problem being that makes my teeth itch is the way as soon as the auto power off has kicked in, the custom mode forgets any exposure compensation in semi auto modes, or shutter/aperture changes you have made in manual mode.

Where the custom modes are good is to have one set top for landscape and one set up for moving objects. Basic quick go to settings, so that you can pull the camera out of the bag at very short notice and get a shot quickly with the right menu wide settings enabled. As soon as you are set up and have time on your hands, I personally would switch to manual or aperture priority and take my time to check, and double check all the other necessary settings are correct for the type of photography I am doing. Then you won't suffer the camera annoyingly reverting to pre picked custom exposure settings every time it powers off.

So in essence, use them, but only to quickly get a shot. With time on your hands don's use the custom modes...

That's how I use them, I have one set with a highish ISO and large aperture in case a wildlife opportunity pops up while I'm doing landscapes

No problem Craig and thanks.
I reset the pc, so was messing with that on Sunday (seriously annoyed me because I lost my stuff in My Documents. At least I didn't lose my photos. There's a lot of JPEGs for some reason as well as DNG files).

I'll look more into Alex Nail.
Yes I agree about the custom modes. I have the auto power set on disabled. (The day that the Sahara dust was in the air, the sun looked amazing when I came out from work. Got home and found my battery was flat. Darn it !!)

I always shoot in Av, but sometimes use Manual.

I've set 2 custom modes for landscapes from the Alex Nail website. I didn't understand how to set the aperture or ISO to a certain level, but I've figured it out.

I'll test them out tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back