Canon 5D mark2 vs 5D mark3

Name
Shayne
Edit My Images
No
Hello there I was wondering if I could get some incite on the two cameras. I want to upgrade to full frame mainly for low light capabilities but I'm stuck between the two bodies. My question is what are the advantages of the mark3 over the mark2. Thanks in advance for your help.

Better processor, slight pixel increase to name but 2; there are several other improvements (which I don't really know off hand) but overall I am not convinced that the price difference justifies upgrading, well not for me anyway. If money is not an issue, then go for the newer model, but I am sticking with my mark 2 for the time being.

Better processor, slight pixel increase to name but 2; there are several other improvements (which I don't really know off hand) but overall I am not convinced that the price difference justifies upgrading, well not for me anyway. If money is not an issue, then go for the newer model, but I am sticking with my mark 2 for the time being.

Thanks Jeff I am kinda stuck here. I understand the focus system is second to none on the mark3 but I'm not sure how that will effect my shooting. Money is an issue because I will have to replace my 17-55 ef-s walk around lens at the same time. The lens I want is the new 24-70 and it's super expensive as well.

They've given the 5D3 a great autofocus system - something that was lacking in the 5D2

Many folk felt stuck between the full frame benefits of 5D2 and the AF benefits of the 7D - a gripe of mine at the time as I shoot both wildlife and landscapes.

Now you can have both in one body without going down the 1D route.

Last edited:
RichardTaylor said:
What are you shooting in low light?
If it relatively short exposure stuff like theatre or sports I would go with the 5D3 otherwise the 5D2 would probably suffice (I shoot with a 40D and 5D)

I started out shooting a lot of landscapes but now I find myself wanting a the luxury of a large sensor to keep from breaking out the flash and also the low iso is a big deal to me as well.

The Canon line-up is obviously going through a massive shake-up this time and is causing big dilemmas for a lot of people!

1) 5D Mk II is an excellent camera but the AF system never compared to that of the 7D

2) 7D is a great camera with great AF and packed with features but the image quality isn't on par with the full frames

3) 6D has great features (a bit similar to the reaction seen for the 7D on its release) with its built in Wifi and GPS and wireless flash triggering, but they used the old focussing system from the 5D Mk II in it

4) 5D Mk III beats the image quality of the 5D II and the focussing system of the 7D but at a massive price premium, oh and even though it is £1000 more than the 6D, you have to bolt on those Wi-Fi and GPS modules ;)

For me Wi-Fi doesn't bother me too much but GPS is a really nice feature to have, saying that I am not going to get a 6D just for that reason because I may as well get the 5D II (which should be with me shortly, look forward to comparing it to my 7D) ;)

My perfect camera right about now would be the 5D Mk III with built in GPS :D

Last edited:
Hope said:
The Canon line-up is obviously going through a massive shake-up this time and is causing big dilemmas for a lot of people!

1) 5D Mk II is an excellent camera but the AF system never compared to that of the 7D

2) 7D is a great camera with great AF and packed with features but the image quality isn't on par with the full frames

3) 6D has great features (a bit similar to the reaction seen for the 7D on its release) with its built in Wifi and GPS and wireless flash triggering, but they used the old focussing system from the 5D Mk II in it

4) 5D Mk III beats the image quality of the 5D II and the focussing system of the 7D but at a massive price premium, oh and even though it is £1000 more than the 6D, you have to bolt on those Wi-Fi and GPS modules ;)

For me Wi-Fi doesn't bother me too much but GPS is a really nice feature to have, saying that I am not going to get a 6D just for that reason because I may as well get the 5D II (which should be with me shortly, look forward to comparing it to my 7D) ;)

My perfect camera right about now would be the 5D Mk III with built in GPS :D

Thanks for the info. It's interesting that the 7d would have a better focusing system than the 5dmk2. Also I didn't know the 6d had the same focus system as the 5dmk2. Isn't the 6d a crop camera? Well be that as it may i would love to get the mk3 (and still may) but I'm trying to figure out in real use what kind of things I would be giving up with going with the much more affordable 5dmk2. Thanks again for your help.

shaylou said:
Thanks for the info. It's interesting that the 7d would have a better focusing system than the 5dmk2. Also I didn't know the 6d had the same focus system as the 5dmk2. Isn't the 6d a crop camera? Well be that as it may i would love to get the mk3 (and still may) but I'm trying to figure out in real use what kind of things I would be giving up with going with the much more affordable 5dmk2. Thanks again for your help.

The 6D is the new full frame model Canon has launched.

For me one of the main difference between the mkII & III is the AF system - if you don't need this, then I think I'd be looking at either the mkII or the new 6D.

andyred said:
The 6D is the new full frame model Canon has launched.

For me one of the main difference between the mkII & III is the AF system - if you don't need this, then I think I'd be looking at either the mkII or the new 6D.

That was the main difference I saw in the two 5d's as well. I guess I need to know if I need that focusing system or not,Robles is I really don't know.

I don't know why I thought that the 6d was a crop camera. I know when it came out it seemed that the 5dmk2 was still a better camera if you didn't need wifi or GPS that is and I don't need either.

shaylou said:
That was the main difference I saw in the two 5d's as well. I guess I need to know if I need that focusing system or not,Robles is I really don't know.

I don't know why I thought that the 6d was a crop camera. I know when it came out it seemed that the 5dmk2 was still a better camera if you didn't need wifi or GPS that is and I don't need either.

The other main difference for me was the FPS increase over the mkII - the 6D is a similar FPS to the mkII whereas the mkIII is approx twice as many.

Good luck with your decision :-D

shaylou said:
. Also I didn't know the 6d had the same focus system as the 5dmk2.

It doesn't. The centre point of the 6D has a much higher sensitivity and accuracy than the 5DII and if you only ever use the centre (ie focus & decompose) then it's a better camera all round.

Last edited:
shaylou said:
. Also I didn't know the 6d had the same focus system as the 5dmk2. /QUOTE]

It doesn't. The centre point of the 6D has a much higher sensitivity and accuracy than the 5DII and if you only ever use the centre (ie focus & decompose) then it's a better camera all round.

Glad someone got that out.

The 6D is far better in focusing terms than the 5dii. It's centre focus has greater low light sensitivity than the 5diii (-3ev for 6D compared to -2ev for 5diii).

This is all true.

I was merely referring to the point that:

the 6D has a 9 point AF system with one cross type as does the 5D II, where as
the 7D has 19 point with all 19 being cross type and
the 5D Mk III has 61 with 41 cross type and 5(?) double-cross

But yeah, the 6D is supposed to have a much more sensitive centre focus ;)

My logic says that this is probably more to do with the advance in Digic processor more than any actual change/revamp to the focussing system.

Also the focussing accuracy and consistency is better with a MKIII if you are using the very latest lenses.

if you are serious about your long term interest in photography then the 5D3 is the way to go! ... it sells at a premium for a good reason' its a superb body with the latest features.
the 5D2 is also a superb camera but it will soon be discontinued! ..
the "shelf life" of the 5D3 is about 4 years, (has another 3ish left before its replaced) so for the extra money you pay out maybe 1k it will hold value if you decide to upgrade
Canon market their products very well, thats why they stay ahead of the pack! (waiting for a bashing from the Nikon mob:naughty:) ...

whatever you decide good luck and enjoy

Probably not a deal-maker or breaker for the OP but I do REALLY like the fact that 5D3 has dual card slots (SD and CF). Sometimes reassuring to have a back-up !

gary43 said:
Probably not a deal-maker or breaker for the OP but I do REALLY like the fact that 5D3 has dual card slots (SD and CF). Sometimes reassuring to have a back-up !

At this point I have no need for two slots but who knows I may down the road. But, this is the kind of thing I'm looking for, getting down to a true comparison. Thank you for your input, much appreciated.,

Hi Shaylou

Like many here, having had 5D, 5D2 and now 5D3 I think the 5D3 is just a supremely well-sorted-out camera.

The 5D2 is a fantastic photographic tool and any improvements were going to be incremental so evolutionary and not revolutionary. That said, the hugely improved AF, greater frame rate, dual card facility, improved high iso capability and superb build quality (not quite 1D quality but PD close) all add up to a very compelling camera making it overall much better than the 5D2.

Good luck with your decision.

Gary

the 5D2 is also a superb camera but it will soon be discontinued! ..
the "shelf life" of the 5D3 is about 4 years

I'm not sure I understand your post. What do you mean by shelf life? The 5D II isn't going to suddenly start taking bad pictures if it's discontinued! And i would suggest that there are a very large number of serious photographers out there still using 5D IIs and D700s.

To the OP, unless you specifically want a heavier body, 1/8000 sec shutter speed and joystick, buy the 6D which is light and has astonishing high ISO capability. If you need sports type AF go for a 5D III. Otherwise grab a 5D II.

Like many others I've had a 5D2 and I now have the 5D3. I'd had a 5D2 and 7D about 4 months when the 5D3 was released and I thought long and hard about selling both and getting the 5D3. In the end I went for it and I'm completely satisfied with the 5D3 although I do have a 7D as a backup body for those 'just in case' moments. There has been nothing that the 5D3 hasn't been able to handle. ISO 12800 shots are still clean, 25600 for me it gets too noticeable, the AF system is ... (insert any superlative you wish) and overall it is a pleasure to use.

The 5D2, although I only had mine a few months, was a great camera and I could get great shots out of any situation. Wildlife, BIF and sports were all shot well on my 5D2 but compared to the quality and quantity I get from the 5D3 it definitely comes second. If you shoot in tricky situations the 5D3 will make it easier than the 5D2 by a long way.

5D2 can produce great images, but it has several serious flaws, that if address in the 5D3, make the 5D3 a no-brainer.

First large flaw is noise. The 5D2 has a horrendous amount of nasty pattern-noise in the shadows, even at iso100. It makes pulling detail from the shadows really difficult in some instances.

Second large flaw is focusing. It's awful. Unbearably bad for anything except a static object. Slow, inaccurate, unreliable.

If either of those flaws are an issue for you, spend the extra for a Mark III. Otherwise, if you can live with it, grab a Mark II for a relative bargain.

Second large flaw is focusing. It's awful. Unbearably bad for anything except a static object. Slow, inaccurate, unreliable.

That is total nonsense I'm afraid! I have an original 5D with the same AF system, and whilst not stellar, it works fine! I even used it on real life moving things...

Oh, OK. It's nonsense.

I have a 5D2, and I use it in my studio and on location on a daily basis. It doesn't work fine AT ALL.

The autofocus system is the main complaint EVERYONE makes about the 5D2.

But whatever. OP can go with someone who has owned the camera for two years, or with someone who doesn't, and hasn't.

Wait until you're in low light, trying to focus on objects moving on the Z-plane, and you'll see just how bad it is.

Last edited:
London Headshots said:
Oh, OK. It's nonsense.

I have a 5D2, and I use it in my studio and on location on a daily basis. It doesn't work fine AT ALL.

But whatever. OP can go with someone who has owned the camera for two years, or with someone who doesn't, and hasn't.

Wait until you're in low light, trying to focus on objects moving on the Z-plane, and you'll see just how bad it is.

Ok then, I've owned a 5DII and whilst it's AF isn't up to the likes of the 1D series or a 7D, I've found it perfectly acceptable for a variety of sport. Not had any issue with large noise volumes at low ISO either.

Oh, OK. It's nonsense.

I've had a 5D for 3 years if that counts! Clearly the 5D II isn't marketed as a fast action/sports camera, but your statement that it's "Unbearably bad for anything except a static object" is misleading frankly. Shooting moving things in low light can be difficult, but it's no worse than plenty of other cameras.

Ok then, I've owned a 5DII and whilst it's AF isn't up to the likes of the 1D series or a 7D, I've found it perfectly acceptable for a variety of sport. Not had any issue with large noise volumes at low ISO either.

Good for you. I use the camera on a daily basis, or did, until I upgraded to a Hasselblad, and I found the noise completely unforgivable in such a level of camera.

Perhaps you don't do much post-production. In which case, if you aren't bumping the blacks, you wouldn't ever notice it.

Last edited:
I've had a 5D for 3 years if that counts! Clearly the 5D II isn't marketed as a fast action/sports camera, but your statement that it's "Unbearably bad for anything except a static object" is misleading frankly. Shooting moving things in low light can be difficult, but it's no worse than plenty of other cameras.

OK, fair enough, I'll take back the part you quoted. That was hyperbole.

However, for a £2000 camera, it's an incredibly primitive AF system, released at a time when other AF systems in use were far more advanced.

As for the low light comment, saying it's no worse than plenty of other cameras doesn't make it alright. Few DSLR's cost £2000. The 5D2 is in the upper-echelon of cameras.

The AF in a 400d is just as bad, but I wouldn't have made my original comment if a guy was considering buying that.

Someone who is willing to spend money on a £1500-£2000 camera needs to know that certain aspects of it won't perform how he'd expect cameras in that price range to.

Thanks. Maybe you just need a bit more practice with it?

Nah, too busy practicing with this:

hass.jpg

Someone who is willing to spend money on a £1500-£2000 camera needs to know that certain aspects of it won't perform how he'd expect cameras in that price range to.[/QUOTE]

This is correct. I always start from the top and work my way down to a level I am happy with. This generally means buying quality that won't be outdated to soon. I was moving towards the mark2 but now I am starting to see that the mark3 is what I probably need to buy to be satisfied.

Thanks for your help and please keep it coming guys this is really helping me.

Back