Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

Cheers - got a bit confused but never mind. (y)

Mine is an old one then eh, still seems to be working fine though. From what I can gather it looks like the mirror fix has been done.

Did my first paid shoot with the 5D yesterday - worked well and the family were really chuffed with the sample pics I sent them. Mostly ended up using the 85mm 1.8 - such a lovely lens. Light was pretty awful - after days of lovely sunny skies and snow it has gone grey and drizzly - had to bump the ISO quite a bit even outdoors in the middle of the afternoon.

IMG_0107 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

IMG_9999-Edit by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

IMG_9840 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

IMG_0014-Edit by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

IMG_9551 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Hi i like these, very sharp what was your focus point in the portraits and settings please, the canon 85mm 1.8 very sharp you used,
there is a thread hang on I'll find it sigma 85mm 1.4 using the 85mm 1.4 not sure if i can tell the difference, but here the difference is plain to see with the sigma Bokeh Balls good comparisons as well as shot on the 5D

and yes it goes to show the age of the 5D makes no difference, it the person behind it (y)

all the best Merc

Last edited:
I will actually struggle if it gives up in time as I only want a camera to be what the 5d mkI is... nothing less and nothing more... I completely maxed a card when I bought it... but it was worth it!

Then get another one bought - a low mileage model - and either spread your useage between the two, or mothball it for the future.

Unfortunetly i cant afford it... Mine is quite loo useage so far... We have just moved into a new house so that was costly... I just bought a imac and we have booked a holiday to nyc... All on credit cards so i really need to concentrate on paying them off first... And then i really fancy a 70-300mm is l series as my longest telephoto is only 105mm at the mo... But yeh its certainly a thought!!!

One thing i would say is i dont bother that the back screen quality is poor as i and most of you should use the info setting to histogram for pictures as getting the exposure right is the only thing im too fussed about in camera... Composition im considering before i even take the pic... I never delete in camera either unless its a total dinger!

Does anyone use the battery grip? I think for me it would make her to big!

jockwav has received the DVD and i've told him that Grum is next on the list!

hope you enjoy... (y)

Posted this morning at 9am,i sent it 1st class recorded,it only cost £1.70,not bad at all,enjoy grum.:)(y)

Unfortunetly i cant afford it... Mine is quite loo useage so far... We have just moved into a new house so that was costly... I just bought a imac and we have booked a holiday to nyc... All on credit cards so i really need to concentrate on paying them off first... And then i really fancy a 70-300mm is l series as my longest telephoto is only 105mm at the mo... But yeh its certainly a thought!!!

One thing i would say is i dont bother that the back screen quality is poor as i and most of you should use the info setting to histogram for pictures as getting the exposure right is the only thing im too fussed about in camera... Composition im considering before i even take the pic... I never delete in camera either unless its a total dinger!

Does anyone use the battery grip? I think for me it would make her to big!
Love my battery grip,it just feels so much better in my hands,handy for portraits as well.:)(y)

:)Grum please tell me you have received the dvd,should have by now.

Love my battery grip,it just feels so much better in my hands,handy for portraits as well.:)(y)

battery grip is the one thing that i've always wanted to get, but it's always been put on the back burner whilst i've chopped and changed with lenses, flash guns, tripods and other stuff... i feel the need now to finally concentrate on getting one.

didn't really want to go with the megabucks Canon one, but what do y'all reckon to be a good honest 'does what it says on the tin' grip? and how much?

message to Grum... next on the list for the DVD is WillieL.

he's not posted on this thread, but he PM'd me direct - if you could PM him to get his addy and send on when you're ready (y)

message to Grum... next on the list for the DVD is WillieL.

he's not posted on this thread, but he PM'd me direct - if you could PM him to get his addy and send on when you're ready (y)
So grum got the dvd then?,should really post to say so & everyone knows where they are then.:)

battery grip is the one thing that i've always wanted to get, but it's always been put on the back burner whilst i've chopped and changed with lenses, flash guns, tripods and other stuff... i feel the need now to finally concentrate on getting one.

didn't really want to go with the megabucks Canon one, but what do y'all reckon to be a good honest 'does what it says on the tin' grip? and how much?
Have a look at the phottix one i had that on my 50D & was excellent,i think it was about £49,brand new.:)(y)

Seriously tempted for something like a 5D MK1. Finally missing a dSLR after using the GF1 for over a year.
Keep looking at 2nd hand ones.

Ive been using a 5D mk1 now for approx 6 months and just love it, my 50d is hardly ever used now (only keeping it for the motor cycle racing).

Had problems with dust on the sensor so had it cleaned and have more or less left my 24-70 f2.8L on since, the image quality with this combo is just amazing, the battery life isnt brilliant so I fitted a grip and use 2 batteries (they are the same as the batteries from my 50D).

In the fullness of time I might sell the 50D and go for a 5D mk2, but unto then loving the 5 classic!

Mr_Sukebe said:
I moved from an old 1D to my 5D a couple of years ago. Have to say that I love it. Does require more forethought to get it to work than the 1D as it's clearly not as good in AF or metering.
Ref the AF, I now shoot almost always in AI Servo with the centre spot, but with the AF function moved to the * button (it's available within the menu options). That allows much easier focus and recomposing.

I think the biggest change was the matching of lenses. My old 1D pumelled every lens into focusing well. The 5D simply can't do that. I found the 50/1.8 to be seriously hit and miss, and ended up replacing it with an 85/1.8. Have to say that was one of the best decisions I've made. The 85/1.8 is sat on my 5D 90% of the time now. Ace AF and the shallow DOF and bokeh are wonderful. It also makes both of my L series zooms look really "ok" for IQ. Infact it's so good that it's made them both redundant and I'm now moving wholly to primes. Picked up my 100mm macro this week and should be receiving my 35/2 shorly.

All in all, the 5D is still a brilliant tool.

I have to +1 for that

The only other body's I have in mind are 1Ds mrk III or a 1D 1V moving into the paid area of togging and after having used them both they are no brainers nailing every shot.

And keeping the 5D as a back up

At least with the 5D you have to think about things

Merc

Sorry I'm on holiday at the mo, I will try and check with the missus if the DVD has arrived. Should have put myself further down the list but I didn't think of it. Apologies.

Hey grum,no problem m8:)

Subscribed to this thread, recently picked up a 5D classic from TP user, looking forward to flexing it muscles.
very generous with the DVD offer can I put my name down for a turn with it please.

Just got back from my holiday and the DVD was there waiting for me (y)

Will get it watched asap and pass it on to the next person.

Took loads of pics with the 5D in Zermatt on holiday - loving it apart from the bloody dust on the sensor!! At least it is fairly quick to sort out in LR.

5343071399_20a6874780_b.jpg
[/url]
Gornegrat by Grum Wynne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Gornegrat Railway by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Love my classic 5D. Full-frame for a bargain price, imho, and they haven't crammed silly amounts of pixels on there, letting those photosites breathe.

Lindisfarne causeway, 24-105 f/4 L at 24mm f/18

^ Grum... can I just say your second image above a bloody amazing travel shot... I love squint pics like this... take a few myself and just think everything about that image is perfect travel togging!

Great shots there grum, just love the colours.:)(y)

Really nice shot John the causeway just draws your eye in,love it.:)(y)

Cheers for the comments folks. Rooster's shot is very nice too.

I have watched the DVD, some useful bits in there (and a lovely sound-a-like version of Born to be Wild :) ). Just PMed WillieL who I believe was next on the list.

I felt the need to move on from a crop and just couldnt afford a 5DMkII so thought I would give the classic a try and love it to bits. The pictures just seem to have a 'smoothness' to them my 40D didnt give, however the menu system is a touch archaic and the screen is not brilliant, but all good enough to let me take some great pictures.

Here's a couple I've taken but to be honest even after having it a few months still getting to know it!

Great pictures on here so hopefully these are good enough to big up the 5dMki!

Both taken using Canon 24-70L F2.8 and strobist setup.

IMG_9869800.jpg

Trish27800.jpg

Last edited:
update for the DVD.... Grum PM'd WillieL to send it off... after that it's:

FELIX
ALSOS
EVOTWO
MARKELLIOT

has WillieL been in touch grum? if not, i'd give him til Friday then send to Felix. WillieL hasn't posted in this thread (i don't think), so i hope he doesn't just flog it on ebay :shrug:

Nice shots Marcus, lovely lighting.

I've got WillieL's address now so I will get it in the post tomorrow. I find it a little odd that he hasn't posted here but I'm sure it's fine.

Quick question.
What are 5D MKI's like at Infra Red?
Do they need any conversion or can you just put a 720nm IR filter on the front, set the WB and "shoot away".
That is the nice thing at the GF1, very easy to do IR on.

WillieL hasn't posted in this thread (i don't think), so i hope he doesn't just flog it on ebay :shrug:
me too! that would be a low thing to do! im sure he wont! not like he's only posted 60 odd times :LOL::bonk:

Last edited:
you'll have to excuse my ignorance here... as my only experience of DSLR's was a 350D to start with, then onto the mighty 5D about 18 months ago....

but the last time i was out with some of the guys off TP, we were shooting at night in manchester. i was taking some shots which at 100iso were giving an exposure time of say 20 seconds... what i was finding was, after i fired the shutter and waited the 20seconds, the shutter closed and then it was probably another 20 seconds before the image appeared on the screen. (this was in both RAW and JPEG).
i've always taken this as the norm and never known any different, but everyone else's camera's who were there - regardless of the shutter speed - showed the images as soon as the shutter closed.

is this just an advancement in newer DSLR's or is it something to do with having full frame? i can't recall what camera's the others had but it was a mix of Nikon and Canon. :shrug:

That will be the long exposure noise reduction. You can switch it off in the custom functions menu.

bloody nora... they don't mention that in the DVD do they :bonk:

Had one, sold it, bought another.

The 5D has a fairly balanced list of pros and cons but it does have a few endearing qualities...don't think I will ever sell mine.

Will still join the dark side but only for a D3S or better...

At CC last night looking through a cupboard i found a magazine :naughty: from 2005 (Digital Camera) they had the first 5D price tag £2,300 pounds :eek: with out lens, they where comparing it to the DsII and 1DII and @ £4,800 and £3,200 they said the 5D would be the choice of the Pro Pro/am, cost was a major influence here, but it was with out a doubt the only Digital FF 12 meg camera on the market that was affordable:eek: they had a 24 70 with and it got rave reviews.

even then they could not see why peeps would want the DsII apart from the weather resistance,

so before thinking about changing body's apart from the obvious reasons AF issues and weather sealing or changing togging type then i will stick with the 5D and all it's little ways.

another shock was the canon 20D only £895.00

Merc

Last edited:
Back