Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

Two pictures, both made with a 5D and a Canon 50 1.8 attached. One picture is from a 5D the other from a 5D Mark III, so what do you think?

You may klick to the pictures for larger views.

Last edited:
Top one 5D judging by the warmer colours

Top one 5D judging by the warmer colours

I have to say both pictures were shot in raw and developed in Lightroom. I've tried to make them similar as possible, because I liked to find out, how much better the Mark III is. ;)

Colours were different quite a bit, which is somehow strange, so I took the the white balance from the clock, which you may see on the tower on the left side. So the colours are now similar, but not the same. Also setting the white balance to 'cloudy' did result in quite different tones.

Fact is, the 5D still does a good job. The best thing on the Mark III is the sound and feel of the shutters silent mode. ;)

Hi everyone, I have just taken delivery of a 5Dc and it's my first FF after upgrading from a 500D. It appears to be pretty much mint, but at max aperture it has more than just a few black dots on the sensor. These do not appear when wide open. Am I being overly silly wanting to get it cleaned? If so, what would be to easiest and best product to use?

Thanks
Jacques

You can expect to clean it fairly regularly if mine is anything to go by, first step is giving a good go with a rocket blower.

If that doesn't do the trick there are numerous cleaning methods and devices, all with their supporters and detractors

Personally I use a Sensorklear Pen, seems to work ok and shifts most of the stubborn stuff that eludes the rocket blower. There are other gizmos such as sticky pads and brushes that create a static field, not used them so cannot comment on their effectiveness

For smears, grease, pollen etc you will need a wet clean which requires swabs and sensor cleaning fluid, loads of tutorials on the web for that. Some people won't try it, but take it easy and you won't damage anything, sensor (or strictly speaking low pass filter) are fairly hardy things really.

Just make sure you have a well charged battery when you raise the mirror via the sensor cleaning option in the menu otherwise it could come back down during cleaning and cause some expensive damage.

Cheers
Rich

Thanks Rich, I'll look into the rocket blower first, maybe it just needs a good blow out.

Here's a photo with a 50mm lens at f/22 some all over, with the bottom left having the most.. Seems to be just spots of dirt, right?

View attachment 16565

Last edited:
Fact is, the 5D still does a good job. The best thing on the Mark III is the sound and feel of the shutters silent mode. ;)

That's an expensive sound and feel! You may just have persuaded me to delay my planned upgrade. :thinking:

Seems to be just spots of dirt, right?

Looks like it to me Jacques, rocket blower is always the first step, good blow around with the camera held upside down.

Just one of those cameras that attracts dust, worse thing you can do is try to clean it up around the back of mirror/focus screen. Disturbs all sorts of muck which then circulates around inside the camera waiting to stick on the sensor.

Unless you use small apertures likely to go unnoticed, keeping looking for it drives some people mad, just use it and give it a clean when you think it needs it.

Exactly what I was thinking, I rarely stop down but who knows, I might get into landscape later on. I'll get the blower, think it's just over a tenner from Currys..

Hi guys,

Has anyone got any recommendation on a cheap but fast cf card reader to speed up the transfer speeds to pc?

I've got a 5D coming this week. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced L bracket for an ungripped body that will allow use of a wired shutter release please?

I could list a rather nice Kirk L plate that meets your criteria in the classifieds for not more than £30 if it was of any interest?

We are off to Vietnam next year and we are wondering what camera kit to take, I now use a 6d as my main camera,
so I loaned my 5d & 85mm to the wife on Saturday to see if it would be viable for her to use, we wanted to see if it would be too big and bulky to handle and carry around,
so we popped over to Brighton for the Pride parade.

She did say it was quite heavy at first, (she's used to a small Olympus M43) but soon got used to the weight and feel, I think she did ok :).

I'm thinking of getting an all round zoom for her, will the 24-105 be ok? or should we get something else?

Reflections of Pride
by Billie Ruffian, on Flickr

You ...!
by Billie Ruffian, on Flickr

Last edited:
Big fat F4 zooms? Urgh... The 5D deserves a nice prime. Get a Sigma 50mm f1.4 (the old one, cheaper and much smaller than the art) and 85mm f1.4 and maybe a 28 or 35mm.

A few years ago I was shooting in low light with my 20D+50mm f1.4 together with a 5DII user and that lens (f4 zoom) and they didn't get one useable shot :D 5D is better than the 20D and with a nice prime it's difficult to ask for more :D

Last edited:
That's an expensive sound and feel! You may just have persuaded me to delay my planned upgrade. :thinking:
I've spent 3 weeks in the mountains and for that time the 5D was left in my car for about 2 weeks while I was walking around, just carrying my 500D with an EF-S 18-55. I didn't want to that with the new expensive cam, but I had no difficulties to left the 5D3 at home, although in the meantime I've learned how cool it is, to compose the picture and then set one of the 61 AF points exactly to where the sharpest point should be, without moving the camera. That's cool, but not essential of course, at least most times. :D

If possible, I carry both of them around, just to minimize changing lenses. :)

Last edited:
I've had time for a couple of quick attempts with the 5D I bought from the forum recently ( I just have time to nip into town twixt dad's taxis ) I have to say I like the comparative simplicity of the camera, compared to a 7D and 1DMkIII. The rainbows were handheld with a 24-105L, and the third tripod mounted with a 17-40L, with a screw in 10 stop ND, @ 3min exposure.

RAINBOW2.jpg

RAINBOW-1.jpg

FULLING1.jpg

I've got a 5D on it's way to me, looking forward to pairing it up with my 28 f1.8, 50 f1.4 and 85 f1.8. My 70D will stay for motorsport but this should be something fun to use with my primes.

Last edited:
Hi guys

I've just signed up here as you lot seem knowledgable and have a sense of humour : )

My weapon of choice is currently the 6d but got a 5d classic coming Wednesday so any tips and tricks for looking after this quality old timer would be appreciated. Bought it from Scotland, low 8000 shutter count plus the dealer has cleaned the sensor. It comes with canon grip and cost me £400. Can't believe how much these cameras cost considering it's probably 8 years old! Saying that they do produce a very nice image. See how it fairs against my 6d soon.

Hope to be able to contribute here and have a good ole chin wag too.

Regards

Mark

Got my 5D Mk1 with battery grip. Blimey its like going back in time after using the ultra quiet 6D. Mind you this is a solid bit of kit, so hopefully will stand up to daily commute and shoots out and about. Got a 50mm 1.4 on it's way, to lighten the load!

First Image taken with it ; ) Canon 17-40 F4 lens, natural light and slight exposure comp in LR

View attachment 20724

If anyone hasn't tried this adapter before, i can recommend it. Had a problem with my SD cards, the camera doesn't like my Sandisk extreme 111 4 gb but took the Sandisk ultra 4gb. Strange? dont know if its the SD card or adapter, but at least i got to use the camera : )

Komputerbay SD / SDHC / MMC Card to Compact Flash Type II High Speed Adapter
View attachment 20725

Got mine off amazon for £10.00

Donnie, I have a Canon 6D as well so have lots of SD card available but no CF cards. I believe SD cards are cheaper too : )

Hi Guys,

Just took a picture to test for dust etc on the sensor. I cant see any, but i'll leave it up to you to find some. Please ignore the aircraft and sorry no prizes if you find some : )

Canon 5D - EF50mm 1.4 @F2 ISO 100

View attachment 20786

Get used to it, fighting a losing battle if you try to keep it dust free.

yep you're right and the dealer said he'd cleaned it before shipping! Hmmm

Perhaps he did a quick pass, sometimes takes 2-4 passes, takes a fair amount of time to do it properly. Keeping it dust free isnt a major issue, get a diy kit and do it when it gets bad, just use a rocket blower in between cleans.

Back