Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

dao said:
I can't really justify the extra cost for the improved f stop and mm of width, so I think I will get the 17-40 :D

The 17-40 is a nice lens, 17mm on a FF is plenty wide enough for me.

The 17-40 is a nice lens, 17mm on a FF is plenty wide enough for me.

I am just saving up at the moment, the plan is to get it before a trip to Thailand end of July.

Here a couple of photos from my first time out and about with my 5D and Sigma 50mm, I am quite pleased with the results but I still have a lot to learn.

1uEBp.jpg

5lc2ds.jpg

Didn't notice this thread, I don't think the 5D gets enough love, so having sold on that horrible, tacky 7D, I got a proper a camera, a 5D! :razz: :thinking:

So far so good, even had a lot of fun with it at Duxford using a 70-200 F4L on a 1.4x TC - I thought this would be rubbish compared to the 7D + 300mm F4 I would have used... but was pleasantly surprised.

Yaks by Jimwah, on Flickr

...and one off the 24-105 L

Stealth Engine by Jimwah, on Flickr

Hello guys, I have been lurking on this forum for a few weeks, and that has driven me to purchase a "brand new looking" 6 or 7 year old 5D in absolute mint condition, with supposedly 9k shutter actuations. Along with the body, I also purchased a Canon 20-35mm lens in great condition with a hood, and an absolutely brand new battery grip BG-e4, which the guy had purchased, but never bothered to use. The grand total was $950. I am thrilled with the purchase. I am pretty sure the mirror has not been fixed, so I'll look into sending that in for service. Happy Shooting.
Chris

Hi, picked one up myself a few weeks ago, loving the quality of the images compared to my 40D. here is one i took yesterday evening with a Tamron 10 - 24, at 14mm.

IMG_9603 by petewallace1, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi, picked one up myself a few weeks ago, loving the quality of the images compared to my 40D. here is one i took yesterday evening with a Tamron 10 - 24, at 14mm.
Hi Pete, You need to grab the BBCode from your Flickr page to get the images to show. It's in the "Share" menu just above your picture, and looks like this:

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotokrafts/7727768556/][img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7253/7727768556_753b965286_c.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotokrafts/7727768556/]IMG_9603[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/fotokrafts/]petewallace1[/url], on Flickr

Just cut/paste it from Flickr into the TP reply box, and... (y)

I'm just checking out this thread as I'm considering doing exactly the same! I love my 40D but the price of the 5D is so low now it wouldn't cost much to swap over. Tempted!

One more thing...is there anything so far that you miss over the 40D, or an area where the 5D is weaker (other than the obvious burst rate, which I personally hardly ever use)?

Things you might miss that the 5D lacks:
- live view
- sensor cleaning
- auto iso
- built in flash
- small & dark viewfinder ;)

Also the menus & top LCD surrounding button layout are "previous generation".

For me, the 5D felt more like a 30D in use but oh those images... It's 100% worth the little downgrades. And your 40D batteries will work in it.

vaizki said:
- live view
- sensor cleaning
- auto iso
- built in flash

For me, the 5D felt more like a 30D in use but oh those images... It's 100% worth the little downgrades. And your 40D batteries will work in it.

All things I hardly ever use (apart from the viewfinder)! I'm getting more and more tempted.

I'm actually thinking about getting one to use with my Sigma 50mm f/1.4 (the only lens I have that will work with it) and keeping my 40d to use with my other lenses. I've seen some shots taken on this combination and I'm a little bit in love!

In your opinion, would a 5d classic still be suitable for starting up as a wedding photographer? I'd be hiring some lenses to start with (a 24-70 and maybe a 70-200) and would use the 40d as the backup body.

The 5D is still used by wedding togs

I'm actually thinking about getting one to use with my Sigma 50mm f/1.4

I use a Siggy 50mm on my 5D and it's a good combination.

Can I tempt you to go for a Siggy 85mm f1.4???? It's even better than the 50mm :D

I use a Siggy 50mm on my 5D and it's a good combination.

Can I tempt you to go for a Siggy 85mm f1.4???? It's even better than the 50mm :D

Eventually that is on my list, but as I've just today taken the plunge and bought a 5D (from the classifieds on here) it will have to wait a while, otherwise there will be a divorce on the cards!

Also lusting after a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8. This is going to get expensive, isn't it... :help:

Well I've just taken delivery of my new (old) 5D. At the moment the only lens I have that works with it is my old Canon 50mm f/1.8 (my Sigma 50 f/1.4 is with Sigma at the moment). Just gave it a test by taking a shot of my daughter, and it's safe to say I'm blown away by the image quality. I love it!

IMG_7033 by bozwellox, on Flickr

Last edited:
Errr, that didn't work. How do I embed a photo from Flickr? I've followed the steps in the FAQ (clicked "share" in Flickr, then copied the URL that popped up), but it doesn't seem to be showing up, or even showing a URL?

Last edited:
It's not a URL, it's the BB code you need to copy and paste

Looking good Phil :D

I'm glad you're happy with your new setup. Keep that sensor clean :D

Well I've just taken delivery of my new (old) 5D. At the moment the only lens I have that works with it is my old Canon 50mm f/1.8 (my Sigma 50 f/1.4 is with Sigma at the moment). Just gave it a test by taking a shot of my daughter, and it's safe to say I'm blown away by the image quality. I love it!

IMG_7033 by bozwellox, on Flickr

Welcome to full frame heaven. :clap:

Great shot...!!!

I agree...I LOVE my 5DC...

heres my combo...70-200 F4L...for a long lens...fast & sharp...this sits on my 50D...so 112-320mm...

my 5DC has my newer 24-105 f4L on it...so just missing 7 mm between 24-320mm...

I also have a 50mm f1.8 mark i...I love that...but would prefer a 85mm f1.8...as more scope with the 50D x1.6...so would also give me 136mm f1.8...

I hope to also add a wide angle...so prob 17-40 f4L...eventually...

STEVIER

For wide angle don't forget to check out the Sigma 12-24mm, it's incredible on a 5D.

I bet f2.8 would be bigger and a lot more £££, if it was possible. The Canon 17-40mm is only f4.

When taking indoor shots with a tripod the aperture wont be an issue. Hand held shots will need higher ISO's and auto ISO would be nice but assuming that you have time to set the ISO before shooting you should be able to get good results, after all, you wont need ultra fast shutter speeds at focal lengths between 12 and 24mm.

If you haven't got time to set the camera up for each shot just set the ISO to 3200 and then just shoot. You'll get results good enough for web posting or reasonable sized prints.

PS. Just checked one of my building work shots, f5, 1/60 sec, ISO 400. In a kitchen lit only by the kitchens ceiling lights. No problem :)

Last edited:
Update list for the DVD....

BREN-ESCAPE
EIGHTH AVENUE
MUMRAR
MACVISUAL
CMJT_UK
DUNCAN_P
DWB11
STEGSIE
ALAN_T
JIMGALLAHER
THE-BIG-MAN-SAYS

(y)

last i heard about the DVD was 27th March!! :shrug: I've PM'd Bren-Escape to see what's happened with it.. apologies to anyone who's been waiting.. i thought this would have been pretty easy to manage :bonk:

Updated list for the DVD....

MUMRAR
MACVISUAL
CMJT_UK
JOHNN
DWB11
STEGSIE
ALAN_T
JIMGALLAHER
THE-BIG-MAN-SAYS

I've told Bren-Escape to contact Mumrar.. could anyone else please let me know if they want to be added/taken off the list as well please. Let's get it going again chaps (y)

What's this DVD malarkey all about then? Would it be useful to someone who's been shooting with Canons for some time, or is it fairly basic stuff? Just wondering if it's worth adding my name to the list!

What's this DVD malarkey all about then? Would it be useful to someone who's been shooting with Canons for some time, or is it fairly basic stuff? Just wondering if it's worth adding my name to the list!

it's basically a double DVD which goes through all the settings in detail relating purely to the 5D and in particular what each custom setting does. It's a bit 1970's Open University styleee, but might just show you something you didn't know.

- live view
- sensor cleaning
- auto iso
- built in flash

Tempting to get one. Is the fact that no sensor cleaning is a big down point of the camera?

I had a 20D before getting a 5D. The 20D needed cleaning now and again but with the 5D it's a love affair... made slightly worse if you're likely to be using smaller apertures than you would with APS-C, which is possible.

I test and clean if required before going out for a day, to the max aperture my lens will go to. I'm anal about this and yet I still get dust bunnies.

I think it's down to a couple of things...

1. The "sensor" coating isn't as non stick as that of modern cameras.
2. The cameras moving parts aren't as designed to limit the shedding of bits as newer cameras are.

IMVHO it's a pain but something that you just have to live with.

Hardly ever need to clean mine.

They're all built the same so if you use smaller apertures you'll get dust bunnies. The only question is if you notice them in your shots or not.

Looking at shots which due to subject matter may hide them may not show any but take a small aperture OOF shot of a white door so that you get a grey result then view it on your pc and any that are there and that could therefore show up in real world shots will be revealed.

I've seen this with people who never suffer dust bunnies but pointing them out in test shots or in peoples real world shots seems to go down like questioning their manhood so I don't do it anymore :D

Well aware that they happen and how. Most of my shots are taken with large aperture so less of a problem for me. Also I take extreme care when changing lenses and try to avoid doing so as much as possible.

I now have a MK1 5D!
Months ago, on another forum, I'd asked about using a Sigma 10-20 and was told it wouldn't work, as wouldn't many other third party lenses.
The Sigma works from about 17-20mm after which you get vignetting down to a complete circle of shadow at 10mm, ( I suppose this could be used as an 'effect').
My Sigma 28mm also works and my other lenses are EF's so these work.
I'm just wondering if all other third party lenses work and it's only the EFS lenses that don't fit.
Is it hit and miss with third party lenses?

My 5D has increased my lens range, I have a 24-105 'L', a 70-200 2.8 'L' and a Nifty Fifty. I also have a 50D, so for so few lenses I have a good range.

My favourite is the 24-105 on the 5D.

Efs will damage your camera because the rear element protrudes too far into the body and will foul the mirror. Any other lens designed for crop sensor will give severe vignetting or may even damage the camera in the same way. EF lenses from any manufacturer will be ok but very wide angle ones will give some vignetting.

Back