Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

Efs will damage your camera because the rear element protrudes too far into the body and will foul the mirror. Any other lens designed for crop sensor will give severe vignetting or may even damage the camera in the same way. EF lenses from any manufacturer will be ok but very wide angle ones will give some vignetting.

That's a bit sweeping isn't it?

Not that I'd want to use an APS-C lens on my 5D but if I did I'd Google to see what other 5D users were saying about the lens I was thinking about. AFAIK... Third party APS-C lenses (for example, Sigma DC lenses) don't protrude into the body any further than a Canon EF lens and even Canon's EF-S can be modified to fit, I think it's just the plastic work that you take a hacksaw too, the optical elements being out of the way.

But, other than as a short term measure or through devilment I don't think I'd bother.

You think? Ok, up to you. Do you often take hack saws to expensive lenses? Lol.

Canon will tell you not to fit an ef-s lens to a 5D.
Sigma will tell you their DC lenses are designed for crop sensors. There is nothing sweeping about my statement that I can see, it is based on advice from manufacturers.

Sweeping as in "or may even damage the camera in the same way" when I suspect you don't know enough to really make any helpful or useful comment. lol indeed.

Using a Siggy DC or a Canon EF-S may be a silly idea but Googling provides info should you wish to do it and certainly I've seen example shots on the net taken with APS-C lenses, no damage to cameras inflicted, YMMV and all that.

Taken today, not particulary for c&c, as I'm new to a 5D, ( but you can if you want )!
Taken on a tripod, with a 24-105 'L', ( this will remain on the 5D forever)!.
I had the sun in my face, so I used the foliage on the right to block it. There isn't a shot from the other side, I've been before! I got the site from an image on Google Earth.
No keepers and nothing I'd even keep on the PC!
But I played around on PS3. These are the moves ....... Auto Levels, Auto Contrast and a bit of Unsharp mask ( 50% ). Then I added a bit of Vignette and turned it into a Sepia image.
For those interested in the site, it's taken in the Smestow Valley Nature Reserve, at Tetenhall, Wolverhampton. It's a disused railway bridge over a canal and the locals call it the Meccano Bridge.

sepia_200_5978.jpg

I must confess to not owning one any more...it was time to move on and as happy as I was with both of them I still have a good number of images taken with them.

Updated list for the DVD....

MUMRAR
MACVISUAL
CMJT_UK
JOHNN
DWB11
STEGSIE
ALAN_T
JIMGALLAHER
THE-BIG-MAN-SAYS

I've told Bren-Escape to contact Mumrar.. could anyone else please let me know if they want to be added/taken off the list as well please. Let's get it going again chaps (y)

Could you add me to this list please? I'm about to join the 5D club :)

Can you knock me off the list please, the 5D is very much my un-used 2nd camera now I have a 7D. I do miss the full frame magic though in some situations but not the auto focus.... Oh is that a mark 3 I can spot on yonder hill??? Step away from the credit card ;)

My 5D should be arriving in the post :) quite excited. I also have a 50mm 1.4 on the way (Canon). Now I just need to sell my other EF-S stuff and save up for a 24-105.

Pretty pleased with the deal I got, paid £475 (was advertised at £499) from London Camera Exchange, they have a 6 month guarantee which is nice. I ended up phoning around loads of branches, it turns out it's better buying from ones in the North as the price differences are down to what they'd get in their local window, rather than necessarily condition. So I bought from the Nottingham branch over the phone. May have paid £100 or more for the same camera at the London branch. Worth bearing in mind.

Cannot wait to get out there, just hoping we have some nice sunny weekends with autumn colours...!

Coming back to Canon, there are two things I have missed, the 5D and the 135L...

God I hope to be posting back in here soon :p The 1D has been great but not a 5D...I just miss the joystick set for focus.

Well, my 5D arrived and I've had a chance to play with it. So far I'm very pleased, a few things I need to figure out how to do that are slightly different to my 40D (2 second timer, for example) but generally very pleased.

I wasn't too impressed with the service from London Camera Exchange (Nottingham branch) there was a cock up with the delivery company (unsure whose fault) so it didn't arrive for a week, it wasn't very well packaged (in a carrier bag in a box with some poly balls) and has a big dust spot on the sensor. Other than that, it's in great condition and I'm happy with the price.

Anyway, here are a few test shots taken on my first play with it last night

untitled-58.jpg by fyldeeddie, on Flickr

untitled-122.jpg by fyldeeddie, on Flickr

untitled-134.jpg by fyldeeddie, on Flickr

Pleased to be part of the club :)

Eddie.

teddyt72 said:
My 5D should be arriving in the post :) quite excited. I also have a 50mm 1.4 on the way (Canon). Now I just need to sell my other EF-S stuff and save up for a 24-105.

Pretty pleased with the deal I got, paid £475 (was advertised at £499) from London Camera Exchange, they have a 6 month guarantee which is nice. I ended up phoning around loads of branches, it turns out it's better buying from ones in the North as the price differences are down to what they'd get in their local window, rather than necessarily condition. So I bought from the Nottingham branch over the phone. May have paid £100 or more for the same camera at the London branch. Worth bearing in mind.

Cannot wait to get out there, just hoping we have some nice sunny weekends with autumn colours...!

Hmmm had my 5D/1 for around 17 months or so, using it less and less now, really can't take quality shots with it. Seems every shot you have to under expose as per normal, and in bright sunlight the images are crap.

Don't fancy returning to 35mm because of the hassle, not sure what to do next....

I really don't understand this.

Quality wise, I get the best shots I've ever had from my 5D. It beats anything I had that took 35mm film and anything digital I've had too.

Maybe you could post some images with data intact? Maybe then someone could help you to get better results.

I've used (expanded) 50 iso to try help the quality of photo's etc, but I've heard people say it's best to shoot at 100 iso, so why have the lower facility of 50 iso.........strange??

I never shoot raw because I've N.I.L. editing skills or can understand computer editing, so everything I shoot is in hi-res J-Peg. I use 'faststone' for any (basic) cropping/contrast adjustments etc.....

Think the lower iso50 is available if longer shutter speeds are required also allows u to shoot with wider apertures without the use of nd filters, I'm not sure of image quality at iso50 as I've never shot at that, I'm sure canons are optimised at iso 125 approx.

I've used (expanded) 50 iso to try help the quality of photo's etc, but I've heard people say it's best to shoot at 100 iso, so why have the lower facility of 50 iso.........strange??

I never shoot raw because I've N.I.L. editing skills or can understand computer editing, so everything I shoot is in hi-res J-Peg. I use 'faststone' for any (basic) cropping/contrast adjustments etc.....

If you want some help you are going to have to post some images that you're not happy with together with camera settings. otherwise people can really only guess at what's going wrong.

Honestly, no one is going to make fun of you, I honestly want to help you to feel better about your camera (and I'm sure other people do too) and get some shots that you're happier with so please, either in this thread or in another post some images that you're not happy with and people will be able to give you some advice.

This is what I can see, it's difficult at these image sizes to pick out every aspect as I can't see detail but here goes...

No. 1. There's no aperture recorded but I'd imagine it's pretty wide as your shutter speed is over 1/3000 even if at ISO 50. It's hard to tell about focus etc at this size but one obvious thing is that some of the highlights are blown.

No. 2. The shutter speed here seems to be 1/10. Even with the camera mounted on a tripod I think you're probably going to get some subject movement if there's even the slightest breeze.

No. 3. 1/60 with blown highlights.

No. 4. 1/40 @f9 and 78mm.

Here's a few basic things I'd suggest.

1. I'd forget about ISO 50 unless you are making a conscious decision to use it, perhaps to get a very low shutter speed.

Try and use the lowest ISO that you can but don't be affraid to raise your ISO if required. Keep an eye on both the aperture setting and the shutter speed and raise the ISO if you need to to get a good balance between the settings.

2. Unless you are using a tripod or image stabilisation try and keep the shutter speed reasonable. It's difficult to be exact but I'd recommend you try and keep your shutter speed faster than your focal length. For example if you are shooting at 70mm (one of your shots seems to have been taken at 78mm) try and keep your shutter speed above 1/70 second and in fact I'd be much happier at 1/150 or faster.

3. Try and avoid extreme aperture settings unless making a conscious decision to select them. Read up on Depth of Field and study some depth of field tables.

Google and you shall find.

4. Exposure. Exposure is a mix of ISO, aperture and shutter speed. I think that it might be an idea to select evaluative metering unless making a conscious decision to select something else such as centre weighted or spot. Keep in mind that your camera may not be able to capture the whole dynamic range in some scenes such as a relatively dark foreground and a bright background. In some shots when the centrepiece of the shot is for example, your stag, the sky in the background may blow. You can overcome this by metering for the sky (using a faster shutter speed) but this will give you a darker stag. So, you may have to get a balance between the stag and sky if you want to retain both. You could meter for the sky and then boost the fill light in post capture processing to brighten a dark stag and this really isn't that difficult.

5. PLAY!
As shooting digital images is basicaly FREE :D I think you should go out and shoot lots of pictures with different settings and see what the results are and what the effect of changing different settings is.

Personally I normally use Aperture priority or Manual. I select what I think is an appropriate aperture and I balance it against ISO (trying to keep it low) and shutter speed (trying to keep it quite a bit above focal length.) Until you get the hang of things you could use f8 and ISO 100 as starting points. If the shutter speed looks too low raise the ISO to maybe something like 400 and if that doesn't bring the shutter speed up high enough use a wider aperture and see how the shot turns out.

Actually, I should mention focus. I use centre point only but I also zone and hyperfocal focus. Until you get to grips with everything I think you should start with centre spot and focus on the main thing in your picture.

Sorry to go on at such lengths and I'm sorry if I've covered things you already know. I hope I've helped a little and if you need any more help or advice please just ask and I'm sure someone will be here for you :) and at leaast your composition seems ok, they all look like good pictures and it looks like you have an eye for a good picture so... I hope that you can soon get to the point that you can capture an image that you're happy with :D

Last edited:
Ah, a manual lens. that explains the lack of some settings in some shots.

I get so frustrated with my (utter crap) landscape images that I mainly shoot flowers close up with the Samyang 35mm, shallow d.o.f., examples below;

1062_original.jpg

0539_original.jpg

9480_orange.jpg

6847_droplet.jpg

I like the soft painterly effect.....

And very nice they are too and yet more evidence that you can spot a good shot.

I like shallow DoF flower shots too, I don't know how many I have on my pc :D

Great stuff but how are you getting on with the landscape and other non close up stuff?

Gotta like the close up stuff though. I have hundreds of shallow DoF flower shots and I put them on slideshow when I need calming down :D Here's a couple of 5D ones...

Or rather, they'd be here if Photobucket wasn't such a complet bag of ****** since its last "update" :razz:

PS. I've reverted to the old version of Photobucket and I can now upload my pictures...

5df2_zps0b1b2da1.jpg

5Df1_zps58ca0bfa.jpg

Last edited:
Yea, Photobucket is a pain at times ok!

Haven't had any time to do landscape photography, mainly work night shifts, or to be honest been a bit lazy. I really need to get outta bed at silly 'o'clock and head off and set-up well before day break etc...

Watch this space.....

Well I've just read all 26 pages of this thread and it has inspired me to post about my own 5D experiences.

Long-time Canon user who started in 1980 with the A1 and bought a T90 the instant it was released...wonderful camera.

Went digital with 10D but couldn't get used to the 1.6 'crop' factor as my eye instinctively knows which lens I need to reach for. Missed the wide end but the extra perceived reach on the top end was handy...I mean you can buy an extra-wide cheaper than you can buy a super-tele! (y)

I must say though that I really liked the pictures taken with it.

I bought a 20D but never really got on with it...still struggled with the crop but I only took 8 photos with it in the 3 months that I had it. :thinking:

Then Canon released the 5D. Just what I wanted. Park Cameras were kind enough to give me full price back on the 20D and so I went back to full-frame. Perfect. :D

It seemed an easy camera to master and I took everything from landscapes to fast moving jet aircraft with it. Whoever said that it can't focus on anything that moves was 100% incorrect. :wacky:

Loved it but when I had the chance to go watch the last shuttle launch last year I figured the newer 7D with its 1.6 crop to help my 100-400mm and the addition of HD video was a better choice so I reluctantly chopped in my 5D for the 7D on the way to the airport. :crying:

The 7D was loaded with really nice features but with that came an extra level of complexity and I am ashamed to say that I never really took to it. I rang the camera shop while I was still in the US and asked them to save my 5D as I wanted to buy it back on my return but this didn't work out. :shake:

Never really used the 7D so am probably being unfair to the camera but I really didn't have the same attachment to it as I did with the 5D.

Earlier this year I bought a nice low-use, boxed 5D and although I still have the 7D I always reach for the 5D first. :thinking:

A few weeks ago I was in Wales and took both bodies out to photograph the ubiquitous waterfall with a slow shutter speed.

When I got back I saved the pictures onto the Mac an just went through my usual culling procedure.

Despite both cameras taking the same view from the same viewpoint (and purely without realising it) I was left with images from the 5D...there was always something about the output that just looks nicer to my eye. Please don't ask me to explain it! :nuts:

Of course I have my wide end back (although I did buy the 10-22mm when I was in the US) but I am now getting interested in birding and so the extra 'reach' of the 7D would be handy but still I grab the 5D first. Weirdo... :wacky:

Thinking about it my ideal camera would be the MKIII with its full-frame goodness and advanced 7D-like features and even better focus but oh...the price! :bang:

And once more with all those features comes the extra complexity which as you get older seems to become harder & harder to master.

So...another vote for the original, 5D which can be had these days for between £400-500 and is an absolute steal at that price. ISTR paying £2200 for mine way back in 2005 :eek:

Fully deserves its reputation as a classic IMHO

-=Glyn=-

Oh I suppose I'd better post a picture of a moving object to back up my claim of it being able to focus on one!

This was taken in RAW and converted to jpg in DxO for posting online with no cropping or other treatments;

Red Arrows Hawk T1 by GlynH, on Flickr

In the original you can count the rivets on the fuselage...and the tip of the nose of another Red Arrow in the lower left hand corner!

-=Glyn=-

Last edited:
Well I have found my way back to this thread... I'm itching again! The wife's pretty much decided on getting a 600d for herself so she's happy. I on the other hand am thinking again of selling up, 500d, sigma 10-20, 18-55is and a few other things and trying to get myself a 5d and a 24-105 keeping my nifty.

Wise or no wise? What would I miss from the 500d? Live view, more reach and the wide end of the 10-20... Any other things? what would I gain? Is it really worth it?

Convince me guys! I would need a remote as well and cf cards to boot so looking at spending £900 fair to say?

Yup, get a 5D by all means but don't stick a ho-hum all purpose f4 zoom on it... go for something sexy :D

My fav lenses on my 5D are Siggy 50mm + 85mm f1.4's, 150mm f2.8 macro and 12-24mm. If you must have a "standard" zoom at least go for a f2.8 :D

One more thing...is there anything so far that you miss over the 40D, or an area where the 5D is weaker (other than the obvious burst rate, which I personally hardly ever use)?

Hi, sorry for my slow reply, forgot i posted on here.

Im probably too late now, but in answer to your question. It really all depends what you want from your camera. For me, the 5D just produces better quality images more often than the 40D. Many people say it, and i agree that there is just something different and almost film like with the images the 5D.

Having said that, if you can afford to keep your 40d too you have a great combination of cameras. The 40D is a more modern camera with a better LCD, auto focus system, and as you mentioned, fps. If you do a lot of sports photography then you may miss some of these features over the 5D.

In my experience with both cameras i would say that the 5D handles noise slightly better than the 40D, so you would be gaining in Noise handling , but i do i feel that the 40D focuses more quickly and accurately in low light than the 5D.

I still have my 40D and if i am shooting some motorsport or such like, then the 40D is used, for most other subjects, i grab the 5D.
So, to put it simply if I just had the 5D i wouldnt miss the 40D or its features very often, where as if i had to lose the 5D and keep the 40D, I would always long for a 5D back again.

Cheers

Pete

Last edited:
Yup, get a 5D by all means but don't stick a ho-hum all purpose f4 zoom on it... go for something sexy :D

My fav lenses on my 5D are Siggy 50mm + 85mm f1.4's, 150mm f2.8 macro and 12-24mm. If you must have a "standard" zoom at least go for a f2.8 :D

Or alternatively stick with your 24-105 get a 5d and whack the ISO up, the 5d is good for it...

Back