Canon 5D mk II official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D2

Out of morbid interest I followed a couple of allegedly new 5D2's, one was still at £250 with 8 hours to go. Lost sight of it last night but had a email from ebay today [I had emailed seller with a 'leading' question, no reply] to say that they had pulled the ad as they thought it was fraudulent! The seller was Thom12, he/she of course might have had their name hijacked, their payment terms was by BT only....
Be careful out there!!

Dunc

Bought my 5D2 yesterday, in a kit with 24-105L. I was going to get it from Kerso who quoted a really good price a few weeks ago, but that has since gone up so I paid an extra £100 and collected it from Calumet for £2350 (y)

Image quality is wonderful. So effortless :) Reminds me of medium format film, which is pretty damn amazing really. I'll miss the reach of my old 40D and 100-400L, and the frame rate, but for most of what I do - walkabout, landscapes, portraits - 5D2 is better.

I also had a quick play with the micro-AF adjustment and was 'disappointed' that both my lenses (other one is 70-200L 4 IS, with 17-40L to come) were spot on :D Though TBH it's very hard to see any errors because of the DoF at f/4, unless you go really close, which is unrealistic (and they were also dead on there anyway). Might try again, just out of interest really.

So do these display the power when inserted in the grip, as I keep my grip permanently attached? :)

I could have given you some duff info here - :bang: I'm using 1 Canon and 1 of the battery's posted in the link at the same time so it may just be reporting the Canon battery :thinking:

I could have given you some duff info here - :bang: I'm using 1 Canon and 1 of the battery's posted in the link at the same time so it may just be reporting the Canon battery :thinking:

No problem mate, although I guess if the camera uses the power from both batteries equally, it would still be useful info, I don`t know if that`s the case though. :)

No problem mate, although I guess if the camera uses the power from both batteries equally, it would still be useful info, I don`t know if that`s the case though. :)

Yep, it seems that the 5D2 uses power equally from both batteries. Every time I've looked the other unit has only been 1 shot behind...

I was out with a friend the other day doing some long exposures and I happened to mention that I could do with a timer release so I didn`t have to count the seconds. He told me that in bulb mode his 20D had a timer appear on the top LCD display, I said I didn`t think mine had this function but I tried it and, hey presto the timer appeared (once the shutter was pressed). :clap:

Now I may be on my own here but I didn`t realise it was there and it really does help. So if everyone knows about the feature, I appologise for mentioning it, but I thought it may be useful to some.

It may be on every other SLR ever created but I thought I`d post it here. (y)

There is only small snag - and this is maybe why I've never spotted it....
Long exposures at night - too dark to read the LCD.
I'm not going to touch the camera to turn on the backlight and I'm not going to shine a torch anywhere near the camera while the shutter is open.
I don't feel such a numpty now :bonk:

There is only small snag - and this is maybe why I've never spotted it....
Long exposures at night - too dark to read the LCD.
I'm not going to touch the camera to turn on the backlight and I'm not going to shine a torch anywhere near the camera while the shutter is open.
I don't feel such a numpty now :bonk:

Very true, I suppose it`s only useful for daytime long exposures when using NDs. :)

Ok , so i am now a proud owner of the 5d mark ii. happy to join the elite club!!!
was wondering if people would like to share their tips and advice for using this camera.
will mainly being using my recently bought 24-70mm 2.8L. 50mm 1.4 and 200mm 2.8 on it. any help or advice?

Just bought a 5DMk2 off Kerso this evening. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Right, well I am nearing my birthday, and along with the cash I have been saving, this should be enough for me to be able to join the club. There is one thing bugging me, that is AF.

I shoot a 40D currently. What I need to know is how does the AF of the 5DII compare with this?

Anyone who can comment on this would be very helpful, as would anyone who uses the 5DII for shooting music photography. The iso I know will work wonders over the 40D, but just need reassurance on the AF being as good as or better than the 40D

as would anyone who uses the 5DII for shooting music photography

The 5D2's AF is great for music photography. I use a 24-70L and 70-200L both wide open at f/2.8, and have no trouble focusing. The IQ at high ISO is great as well.

Here are a couple of shots I did earlier :D

freddie1.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

A.

Right, well I am nearing my birthday, and along with the cash I have been saving, this should be enough for me to be able to join the club. There is one thing bugging me, that is AF.

I shoot a 40D currently. What I need to know is how does the AF of the 5DII compare with this?

Anyone who can comment on this would be very helpful, as would anyone who uses the 5DII for shooting music photography. The iso I know will work wonders over the 40D, but just need reassurance on the AF being as good as or better than the 40D

Cant help with a 40D but i dont notice any difference from a 50D :shrug:

I came from a 40D to a 5D2 and I haven't noticed much difference in AF performance.

Certainly the centre high performance (f/2.8 lenses or faster) cross-type AF point is just as good.

While the remaining points are still cross type on the 40D, they are just standard on the 5Dmk2.

However, the 5D2 also has the 6 extra hidden assist points which the 40D doesn't.

With the 40D (and now the 5Dmk2) I shoot with the centre AF point only (AF on the back button not the shutter) and I'm happy with the performance for what I shoot.

I have to echo everyone else on how good the 5D is :) i've had it 2months now and can't wait to pick it up and shoot :) its a very pleasing camera to use and the quality destoyed my 50D :) can't believe i didn't buy one sooner.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2597/4299163718_6607c59f1e_b.jpg

Shot taken at london zoo

Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 200 mm
ISO Speed: 2000

Its a little soft but far more useable then anything my 50/40Ds could produce.

4301512325_f761f7af40.jpg

Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 70 mm
ISO Speed: 1000
No noise reduction on either shots :).

Admittedly the i7 920 with 6GB of RAM may have been a slight overkill....*

*This has been entered for the understatement of the year award, 2010.

I dunno, whilst not as fast in the CPU dept, my Q6400 O/C to 3.2GHz regularly encroaches on all 8GB of its ram doing large batches in LR...

I was out with a friend the other day doing some long exposures and I happened to mention that I could do with a timer release so I didn`t have to count the seconds. He told me that in bulb mode his 20D had a timer appear on the top LCD display, I said I didn`t think mine had this function but I tried it and, hey presto the timer appeared (once the shutter was pressed).

My old 450D had this, but lit up on the rear screen, so you could see it - a bit more accurate than staring at my analogue watch! I can't see it costing Canon much to include it, so why take it off such a high-end camera?

I dunno, whilst not as fast in the CPU dept, my Q6400 O/C to 3.2GHz regularly encroaches on all 8GB of its ram doing large batches in LR...

My old 450D had this, but lit up on the rear screen, so you could see it - a bit more accurate than staring at my analogue watch! I can't see it costing Canon much to include it, so why take it off such a high-end camera?

You can have it on the rear screen, I`ve just discovered, so that`s pretty useful. I had a 450D and I never knew it was there, DOH :bonk:

Running MBP, 4GB 2.5GHz dual core and importing a full CF into LR and trying to edit and sift through LR at same time takes alot out of my laptop :).

Anorakus what iso are those shot at? Noise looks almost non existant

5D2 is pretty amazing at high ISO's.. both these were shot at ISO 2500.

In my experience noise on the 5D2 only really starts to kick in at around ISO 5000, although 6400 is quite acceptable. A tip - make sure you expose adequately - pushing exposure on RAW files tends to exaggerate noise in dark areas.

A.

:( My planned rig to cope with 5dII RAWs is an mpb

I've a MBP 2.5GHz as well. I wouldn't say that performance crunching RAWs from the 5D2 is that bad. Could be quicker for sure. Would probably help if I installed W7 64-bit so I could use all 4gb of memory.

I'm not regularly batch processing hundreds of images mind.

Think I will be installing a new HDD/SSD at some point to give things a bit more zip.

The following picture of the Second Hand Marching Band was taken in almost darkness at the Captains Rest in Glasgow. It was taken at ISO5000 with the 24-105L at f/4, 1/50th.

4075804759_ba319546f4.jpg

Dave

I've a MBP 2.5GHz as well. I wouldn't say that performance crunching RAWs from the 5D2 is that bad. Could be quicker for sure. Would probably help if I installed W7 64-bit so I could use all 4gb of memory.

I'm not regularly batch processing hundreds of images mind.

Think I will be installing a new HDD/SSD at some point to give things a bit more zip.

I'm either going for the 3ghz or waiting till the next model depending on when I have funds available

Just about to upgrade from the 50D (after a few months) to the 5dmkII and was wondering as I used my Sigma10-20 a lot, what is the nearest lens to this on the 5DmkII, will that be the 17-40L? or is there another better landscape lens out there?

TIA (y)

17-40 is a great alternative, superb quality, I use mine alot. There is a much more expensive 16-35 IS but not sure if the IS is worth it, not needed I don`t think for a wide lens.

17-40 is a great alternative, superb quality, I use mine alot. There is a much more expensive 16-35 IS but not sure if the IS is worth it, not needed I don`t think for a wide lens.

17-40L is the one. 16-35L is f/2.8, but doesn't have IS. It's no sharper either.

I've got a 17-40 and it produces very good results be personally i find it a bit tooo wide and i hardly use it down at the 17mm end, i may just change to 24-70mm or 24-105 :thinking:

17-40L is the one. 16-35L is f/2.8, but doesn't have IS. It's no sharper either.

What's the 16-35L's corner performance and distortion like at the wide end (stopped down for landscape shot use) when compared to the 17-40? That's the crucial foactor for me when going for an UWA landscape lens.

What's the 16-35L's corner performance and distortion like at the wide end (stopped down for landscape shot use) when compared to the 17-40? That's the crucial foactor for me when going for an UWA landscape lens.

16-35L is worse than the 17-40L at the edges. I've never really used the 16-35, only played with it, but that seems to be the consistent feedback. And it's heavier and twice the price. It's f/2.8 of course though, and that's not an unusual penalty for twice the light.

Canon's MTFs show it very clearly. So do other reviews and while I tend not to trust any test that invloves shooting a flat 2D target at very close range with a wide angle (as all others do) their field assessments also confirm it.

Canon MTFs here:

16-35L
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=148&modelid=14907

17-40L
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=148&modelid=8940

There seems a mixed bag of reviews over on FredMiranda site. Some reviews point out the 16-35 lens is center sharp but very bad at the corners. The 17-40 has the most reviews and generally receives good praise, although some folks have gone from the 17-40 to the 16-35. I'd like to know if the cost difference really makes a difference?

Last edited:
Back