Canon 5D mk II official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D2

Hi all, I finally got a 5D2.

I want to dabble in video but I am having trouble with editing.

I've got a trial of Neoscene, which has allowed me to convert my video to .AVI, which I understand will allow for easier editing.

I've also got Premier Pro, which I have loaded the video into, and played around a bit with. However I am really struggling to adjust the colours to make the videos look better. I have one clip in particular which was shot at home, in the evening, under tungsten light. The result is a REALLY orangey video.

Would this have been fixed by changing the white balance on the camera?

I've played around with colour correction in Premier Pro, but it just looks crap.

Finally, does anyone have any links to some good online guides to help me get started with video?

Thanks

Ok, so I did another video tonight and set the white balance from the off on camera. It was still a little orange/yellow, but this was easily corrected in Premiere Pro.

It's only a quick silly video:

[youtube]tsYGqjhJrv0[/youtube]

I also took some photos of my cat :)

5262162896_002c20f1a8_b.jpg

5262001456_15628e5993_b.jpg

I recently upgraded from my Canon 400D to a 5D MKII. So far im really happy with it! But have had so much to do that i haven't taken that many pictures. Looking forward to christmas and new year being over and work chilling out a bit so i can get out and get some cracking shots. January i am building my poortfolio up for for uni :D

Hi all, a work friend of mine is hopefully buying a 5D Mk2 in the next week as he's waiting for payday on the 20th. Now last week i sent him a link to Jacobs who were doing the Mk2 with the 24-105 f4 for £2029 without taking into account the student cashback which he was unable to claim. Thing is when he looked last night its went up again to £2249! Hes gutted atm and is wondering what to do next. Hes on a year exchange at our work from France so his English isnt the best and im trying to help him. What do you guys make of the Sigma 24-70 lens?
http://camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod171.html
Some say its good while others might say its a backwards step with such an expensive body. That would be another option as he could buy the body then this lens to stay in budget or are there any better options.
He has just over £2000 and has been saving for ages. He was getting the 7D originally so thats why he hasnt quite got the £2200. Ive heard Kerso mentioned before, is he an Ebay seller?
Thanks in advance, Phil

Hi all, a work friend of mine is hopefully buying a 5D Mk2 in the next week as he's waiting for payday on the 20th. Now last week i sent him a link to Jacobs who were doing the Mk2 with the 24-105 f4 for £2029 without taking into account the student cashback which he was unable to claim. Thing is when he looked last night its went up again to £2249! Hes gutted atm and is wondering what to do next. Hes on a year exchange at our work from France so his English isnt the best and im trying to help him. What do you guys make of the Sigma 24-70 lens?
http://camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod171.html
Some say its good while others might say its a backwards step with such an expensive body. That would be another option as he could buy the body then this lens to stay in budget or are there any better options.
He has just over £2000 and has been saving for ages. He was getting the 7D originally so thats why he hasnt quite got the £2200. Ive heard Kerso mentioned before, is he an Ebay seller?
Thanks in advance, Phil

PM Kerso. He's an independent importer who gets stuff from the US, but supplies from the UK with full warranty. You just get a different plug on the charger.

He sells through ebay, but is cheaper if you deal direct. Contact details are in the trade advertisers section here. He's very well known and trusted. Kosher. Ask for a price on the 5D2/24-105L kit, cheaper that way. Leave the Sigma.

PM Kerso. He's an independent importer who gets stuff from the US, but supplies from the UK with full warranty. You just get a different plug on the charger.

He sells through ebay, but is cheaper if you deal direct. Contact details are in the trade advertisers section here. He's very well known and trusted. Kosher. Ask for a price on the 5D2/24-105L kit, cheaper that way. Leave the Sigma.

Thanks Hoppy, ive spoken to him and got a price. I'll speak to my mate 2mrw and take it from there.
Phil

Thanks Hoppy, ive spoken to him and got a price. I'll speak to my mate 2mrw and take it from there.
Phil

And what was it then?

Well it's taken forever but i've finally got one. Just downloaded the latest firmware all ready to rock...

My question is aimed at all those who've upgraded from the 5DI to the 5DII and is this: what have you gained from the upgrade? (Apart from video of course!)

My 5DI is my grab camera for landscapes and portraits and general use where I don't want to take my 1DII. Lenses vary from MF prime lenses through EF 50 f/1.4, 16-35L, 70-200 f/4.0 L IS and 100-400L (oh and a sigma fisheye).

I think I want the upgrade, I know I'm ready to take advantage of the technology (I'm not likely to be using auto ISO and will shoot in Aperture, Shutter and Manual). To fund the upgrade now I'll have to make some sacrifices of the "selling stuff I'll never get back" variety which I seem prepared to do.

I didnt upgrade, I turned my backup 1d3 into a 5dI because I prefer the feel of the 5d

over my 5d my mkII gives me:
-Between 1 and 2 stops of extra iso, the 200-800 range on a mkII is fairly seamless if exposed properly
-A Sexual screen (not to be ignored as it helps a lot with in field testing)
-The more modern menu system letting me control a speedlight fully from the lcd (letting me use a 10m ttl cord and change ratios and zoom on my key which controls the other lights - if I were a hardcore wireless ettl user this would give me another 580exII)
-Way more pixels which lets you crop very very creatively, I have a shot in my port that I saw in pp and I love, completely different composition
-gets dirty slower and I hate sensor cleaning
-the controls are just better, dunno why but they are
-a few cosmetic things like the finish and the hotshoe

personally I really rate it as a camera, its the first body I use every single time, but I don't know about selling stuff I could never get back to make the leap

I didnt upgrade, I turned my backup 1d3 into a 5dI because I prefer the feel of the 5d

over my 5d my mkII gives me:
-Between 1 and 2 stops of extra iso, the 200-800 range on a mkII is fairly seamless if exposed properly
-A Sexual screen (not to be ignored as it helps a lot with in field testing)
-The more modern menu system letting me control a speedlight fully from the lcd (letting me use a 10m ttl cord and change ratios and zoom on my key which controls the other lights - if I were a hardcore wireless ettl user this would give me another 580exII)
-Way more pixels which lets you crop very very creatively, I have a shot in my port that I saw in pp and I love, completely different composition
-gets dirty slower and I hate sensor cleaning
-the controls are just better, dunno why but they are
-a few cosmetic things like the finish and the hotshoe

personally I really rate it as a camera, its the first body I use every single time, but I don't know about selling stuff I could never get back to make the leap

^^^ what he said. All those things, especially for me the cropping ability and the screen with live view.

I use the cropping ability when shooting two people portraits and a solo head shot comes up that I either didn't see or couldn't get. I can pull that out and get similar quality to my 40D (which I traded up from).

LCD is fab and I use live view far more than I ever imagined. Basically, when the camera is on a tripod, live view goes on.

Lots of other detail improvements over the 5D1, like AF microadjust.

Last edited:
Well my 5D mkII arrived today so I guess I can officially join this thread!

Thinking about getting a better guide book for it - does anyone have any recommendations? Apologies if this has been asked before but I did try searching and didn't find anything.

Bythesea said:
Well my 5D mkII arrived today so I guess I can officially join this thread!

Thinking about getting a better guide book for it - does anyone have any recommendations? Apologies if this has been asked before but I did try searching and didn't find anything.

Best book i'be found is easily David Busch's Canon EOS 5D Mark II Guide to Digital SLR Photography

Best book i'be found is easily David Busch's Canon EOS 5D Mark II Guide to Digital SLR Photography

Thanks, that was one of the four I found on Amazon but always best to hear from someone who has actually seen it :)

(And you aren't too far from me - often go down your way fishing)

Bythesea said:
Thanks, that was one of the four I found on Amazon but always best to hear from someone who has actually seen it :)

(And you aren't too far from me - often go down your way fishing)

Ahhh cool, let me know if you ever down this way and want to take a few snaps :)

Ahhh cool, let me know if you ever down this way and want to take a few snaps :)

Cheers Julian - will do. Just had a look at your Flickr - some great shots there! :clap:

Received Canon 5D MK II off Kerso and and various other stuff. Feels very nice in the hand compared to my 450D. I like the interface too and hopefully tonight after work I play about with the settings and get it right as well as do some reading on how to use my new 580EXII with it.

Is ISO expansion good? DO people here use it?

I've never used the ISO expansion at the higher end other than for testing as there's too much noise. Good to know it's there if you're absolutely stuck though.

ISO 50 can occasionally be useful though to help reduce shutter speed and essentially looks no different to 100.

I've posted this in the beginner's forum too, but no resolution. My RC-6 was fine instantly firing my 500d (on timer mode), when using live view. I use this to minimise shutter shake from press and mirror.

On the 5d2, there's only a 10 sec timer, and 2 sec timer. When I press the RC-6, it starts video. How can I achieve instant photo firing?

TIA

I've posted this in the beginner's forum too, but no resolution. My RC-6 was fine instantly firing my 500d (on timer mode), when using live view. I use this to minimise shutter shake from press and mirror.

On the 5d2, there's only a 10 sec timer, and 2 sec timer. When I press the RC-6, it starts video. How can I achieve instant photo firing?

TIA

Tom, I answered your other thread a week ago, to which you have replied :thinking:

You need an RC-5 or RC-1, as per the 5D2's handbook.

I've used iso expansion, good is a bit open to interpretation, been glad its there but those files aint clean by any stretch :p

I've used iso expansion, good is a bit open to interpretation, been glad its there but those files aint clean by any stretch :p
I assume you just mean the expansion at the high end? Or have you had trouble at ISO 50?

The RC-6 is also specified in the 5D2 user guide....

<snip>

That's interesting Tim! My 5D2 handbook (hard copy, p102) reads exactly the same as that, but doesn't mention the RC-6!

That's interesting Tim! My 5D2 handbook (hard copy, p102) reads exactly the same as that, but doesn't mention the RC-6!

Yes, thanks for your reply on my other post Hoppy, but it's still not resolved - as above, it SHOULD work...

Put it on remote/timer, fires instantly or 2 secs delay. Also works on B as a T setting - press once to open, press again to close (y) I use that for long exposures with a dark ND filter. Did you know that on B the frame counter counts the seconds? I discovered that by accident - very handy.

It has feeble range in daylight though. You need direct line or sight, which is not easy because the lens and hand grip get in the way. But it will fire under any conditions if you are right up close - like as close as you would have to be with a normal cable anyway. Brilliant little tool, and so cheap :)

Can I confirm, this works when you are on liveview too right? When you say remote/timer mode, do you mean 10 sec timer or 2 sec timer?

I got my 5DII well over two years ago - the RC-6 wasn't released until much later.
I've just received my RC-6 and it works fine.
Canon sure managed to hide the instant v 2s timer switch well; I bet loads of people never find it.

About time we had one. Any chance this could be a sticky?

Edit ..should it be owner's or owners', or either, or both?

Last edited:
My English was always terrible so that looks fine. Now how do we get this stickied?

About time we had one. Any chance this could be a sticky?

Edit ..should it be owner's or owners', or either, or both?

Owners' or owners (either makes sense really when you think about it).
Owner's would imply it's a thread possessed by just one 5DII owner.

Last edited:
Better post a picture. Nothing special as the weather has been a bit naff since I got it but I just loved the colour and crispness. Really looking forward to Autumn to get some quality shots

6092391686_47414da1fd_b.jpg
[/url] IMG_0423 by PCPhilpot, on Flickr[/IMG]

Strewth, where did that come from?

I think we have to say that we're late adopters. A gap from February until our activity :crying:

Nonetheless, what we lack in speed we will more than make up for in enthusiasm, naivety and sheer bloody mindnessness :D

Back