Canon 5d mk III + 300mm f4 is usm

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
Has anyone got any experience of using a canon 300mm f4 is usm with canon 5d mk III + extender as wondering if it would be ok for wildlife photography. thanks

What extender are you using? I have that lens which I mount on either my 5D Mk II or 50D. I also have a 2x teleconverter. If I fit that to the 300mm (making it a 600mm f8) the auto focus won't work as it's too slow. Other than that it's an OK lens, a f2.8 would be better but don't have that sort of spending money, basically you make the most of what you can afford. I've not had it long and so far still playing around with it but I'm happy with it.

Hi I will me using 2xlll extender , according to canon the autofocus should work

Centre point only will work F4 plus 2x teleconference on a 5D MK3. Personally I love mine without the converter so long as I can fill the frame, with converter it slows down a bit and I struggle to keep a bird in the frame, you may have more luck.

Last edited:
I found a good alternative to the canon t.c's was the kenko 1.4 HD it allowed for all focus points even with the sigma 150-600 sport ,not sure about the 2x though .

Does auto focus still work with or without the extender
That's because you have a MK2 and a 50D, neither were designed to work with an effective f8 aperture, although both would work with a 1.4 converter on an F4 lens. A MK3 (and MK4) is designed to work centre point only af with an effective f8 aperture.

Back