Canon 5D Mk2 infrared

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I did a quick search (throughout the entire internet) and haven't been able to find any info on this.
Basically, I'm trying to find somewhere in the UK that hires out Canon 5D Mk2's converted to shoot IR. It's crucial they're converted and not just using filters as I need to shoot colour infrared, and also need the video function.

Have tried a few London hire companies but none seem to have this camera conversion, or know anywhere that does. So, does anyone here know anywhere I could hire this kit from? Getting very desperate now!

there was a camera that had the IT filter on the sensor removed
for astronomy...but it was a bridge camera.
is this the sort of thing you're talking about?

I can't see anyone having even converted a 5D MK II to IR, never mind have one to rent out, it just wouldn't be financially viable.

Seems like a very expensive camera to modify just to see through womens clothes :)

How? The colour of an object is made up by the wavelengths of light that it reflects. If you're only using a very narrow part of the infrared spectrum then you aren't going to record colour.

You certainly aren't going to record in any colours that humans can see anyway.

That's colour and infrared, not colour infrared.

If you want to be pedantic, the term "infrared" photography is incorrect too. What we refer to as infrared is, in fact more correctly called "near-infrared"

The pictures in the link are the only type of "colour infrared" that you can get from this type of photography....

4C.jpg

can you get this effect with just a slot in/screw on filter? (obv not colourised sky)

How? The colour of an object is made up by the wavelengths of light that it reflects. If you're only using a very narrow part of the infrared spectrum then you aren't going to record colour.

You certainly aren't going to record in any colours that humans can see anyway.

Depends what filter they use. Some filters only allow IR light in and that is B&W but the most common filters used for this sort of photography allow other wavelengths of light in so you start to get some colour creep in the image.

The way most modern sensors work is by placing filters in front of each element of the sensor in order to isolate (eg) red, blue and green wavelength photons. These are then recombined to generate the colour image. If you were to change these filters to allow three different bands of infrared you would end up with a "colour infrared" image. Alternatively, a photo-reactive material could "translate" the infrared light into red or even green wavelength photons.

Hope that all makes sense, although it is late, and this is relying on my memory of my physics degree almost ten years ago!

Back