Canon 5D MKIII battery grip

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
I just can't decide whether to get one or not. What you guys thing of it who got one one.

I don't have a 5D mk III, but do use a grip on my 7D as I find the controls on the grip very convenient when holding it in portrait mode, also like the chunky feel of the camera in my hand, others will say it makes the camera too heavy,

I honestly couldn't imagine using a camera without a grip. I've been fortunate to have a1D MkIIN and a MkIV and if I pick a camera up without a grip it feels unbalanced to me.

All down to if you want the extra weight and size . I have my 5D3 gripped and love it, it helps balance out the camera when I have the 100-400mm lens on it and the extra buttons for using in portrait mode really help. I have just recently started taking a lot more landscape shots so the extra battery life helps with the battery usage in live view.

I honestly couldn't imagine using a camera without a grip. I've been fortunate to have a1D MkIIN and a MkIV and if I pick a camera up without a grip it feels unbalanced to me.

^ this - camera bodies don't feel or look right unless they're square with a vertical shutter

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but do third party grips fare well against the official Canon ones? Im looking to buy one for my 5d3

Ghostface said:
Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but do third party grips fare well against the official Canon ones? Im looking to buy one for my 5d3

No problems be interests to know this too and which brand?

Hello rookies

I just went for a 5d mk3 a few weeks ago, I also wondered wether to go for the battery grip, as I had one on my 50D and got used to it I went for one. Although I have not really had chance to use the new camera yet, I found it to be brilliant on the 50D so I think it will be the same on the 5D. I did quite a bit of checking on the internet, did not find many good opinions on the 3rd party grips, the general comments seemed to be that they felt flimsy and had a cheap feel to them.

Last edited:
As much as I'd love to grab a bargain and most times 3rd party is sufficient I'd only ever get the official grip for bodies I buy

(lovely Great Dane there Terry!)

I've had grips on all the bodies I've had (a 550D, 60D, 650D, 2 7D's, a 5D2 and now a 5D3) as I have large hands and they fit better. They also make the camera balance better with a heavy lens on it. I've had 3rd party grips for all the bodies and they have all been fantastic.

They have worked flawlessly with all the bodies and the only one I've had any problem was the Pixel grip for the 5D3 (occasional battery drain while turned off) and after contacting the makers they emailed to say they would exchange it for a brand new one if I sent it to them. (It's in the classifieds cheap as the wife got me another grip and I can't be bothered to send it off http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=452775 )

With the amount I've saved by buying 3rd party grips I've managed to buy a Canon 70-200 f4L and a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 HSM lenses, although the 70-200 has since been sold on. I've also used 3rd party batteries in the grips and had just as good performance from them as I have the Canon originals.

Last edited:
modchild said:
I've had grips on all the bodies I've had (a550D, 60D, 650D, 2 7D's, a 5D2 and now a 5D3) as I have large hands and they fit better. They also make the camera balance better with a heavy lens on it. I've had 3rd party grips for all the bodies and they have all been fantastic.

They have worked flawlessly with all the bodies and the only one I've had any problem was the Pixel grip for the 5D3 (occasional battery drain while turned off) and after contacting the makers they emailed to say they would exchange it for a brand new one if I sent it to them. (It's in the classifieds cheap as the wife got me another gripand I can't be bothered to send it off http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=452775 )

With the amount I've saved by buying 3rd party grips I've managed to buy a Canon 70-200 f4L and a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 HSM lenses, although the 70-200 has since been sold on. I've also used 3rd party batteries in the grips and had just aas good performance from them as I have the Canon originals.

Which 3rd party batteries use please and what brand your new grip :)

terrysphotoz said:
Hello Buckas

He was my boy, we lost him over the Christmas holidays 2005, still miss him, but every time I log on I get to see him.

Bless he such a nice dog. I know how it feels when you lose a pet you love

I have the 5d3 and have had it gripped since day one, I have tried it without the grip but the balance and feel in the hand is just wrong. It works very well with the grip and all the buttons you use in landscape orientation are repeated on the grip for vertical use, including the little joystick for AF points.

In my humble opinion I would not buy a 3rd party grip, there are a multitude of things housed within the grips and it only takes one thing to not be quite 100% and could knacker the entire camera up! Plus the genuine grip keeps the weather seal intact were as I doubt a cheaper brands would.

So in short, yes its much better with the grip (assuming you don’t have tiny hands) but buy the genuine Canon one as you get all the functions Canon intended and retains the weather sealing etc etc. (The grip is also made of Magnesium, same as the body).

As much as I'd love to grab a bargain and most times 3rd party is sufficient I'd only ever get the official grip for bodies I buy

(lovely Great Dane there Terry!)

Why?? the cost is just silly, we have both 5dmk2 gripped with 3rd party about £35 from memory, you would never tell the difference.

We also use third party batteries, never ever had an issue.

The originals if they were priced right would sell, it's just that they are ridiculously priced....

Never felt the need to buy a grip for any of my cameras,

I've used a load of canon bodies & never needed extra battery power & never felt the need to add more weight to make it feel more balanced.
My cameras pretty much live on a wimberley so that sorts out any balance issues.
I own a couple of bodies that have the "grip" built in & still think it makes no difference
For me as long as the shutter release is in a comfortable place I'm a happy chappie.

I have the original grip on my 5D3, warranty warranty warranty if it all goes tits up !

The balance is great and the battery life is fantastic with two batteries. Original batteries too.

Never understood why people spend so much on a body and chuck a 3rd party grip on...

Probably because people are hacked off with being charged £300 for what is essientially a hollow battery container with a few buttons attached... :wacky:

Probably because people are hacked off with being charged £300 for what is essientially a hollow battery container with a few buttons attached... :wacky:

This^
If a 3rd party lens is the best bang for buck, only an idiot would choose the Canon one because of the brand. Yet there a number of items where people fail to see them this objectively.

Check the list and think through why you'd go for the camera manufacturers own (or even whether you'd even consider them)
Lenses
Flashguns
Straps
Filters
Batteries
Grips
Bags

I'm guessing its mostly FUD and many Internet postings by paranoid people.

When I get my 5D3 I will be getting a grip.

I have one for my 7D, genuine Canon, but I never use it. The shutter button feels different which is annoying, but the grip design is bloody awful, not even remotely ergonomic. Looking at the 5D3 grip they seem to have sorted out the ergonomics somewhat.

As for Canon vs 3rd party. TBh if the third party grip is absolutely 100% as good as the Canon, I would be fine with that. But experience with chinese copies of other stuff leaves me a little bit cautious...

Had the Pixel Vertax grip for 5D3 for Christmas. Shutter release not working from new :( Reviews seem quite positive for this grip, following initial problems with power draining. When I get the exchange unit, I'll have a better idea, but TBH my first impressions aren't favourable. Seems cheap, buttons don't have the Canon feel at all. Will probably end up with a genuine grip.

There's probably no real absolute justified reason or advantage over the genuine one other than if you afford it, get one.

I'd still never get a 3rd party one. All my equipment is for business use so wouldn't trust cheap copies

Last edited:
Which 3rd party batteries use please and what brand your new grip :)

I've now got a Meike grip for both my 5D3 and my 7D and I'm thrilled with the way they both work. They're very well made and very reliable too. I got one for my 550D about 2 years ago and it's still working perfectly on the wifes 650D now. For the price you can't really go wrong.

As for batteries, I got some of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-NEW-BA...69?pt=UK_Camera_Batteries&hash=item20c48318c9 last time. They charge as quick as Canon batteries, they hold the charge very well when not in use and they last at least as long as the originals do as well.

As my 5D3 and 7D are both gripped and both use the same (as did my 5D2 when I had it) I've now got 10 batteries, or 5 pairs, and only 1 pair are original. I've taken thousands of photos with these batteries and never had a problem with any of them.

Going back to the Vertax Pixel grip that does have the battery drain problem, the only reason I bought that make was they were the first to release the non genuine grip. I was very pleased with the way it performed when taking shots as it was perfect, if it hadn't of had the drain problem I would still be using it now.

Here's a pic of the Meike grip on the 5D3, as you can see it's a very good fit and all the buttons are in the perfect place for me.
8252449068_e0fd1405ee_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

There's probably no real absolute justified reason or advantage over the genuine one other than if you afford it, get one.

I'd still never get a 3rd party one. All my equipment is for business use so wouldn't trust cheap copies

that statments makes absolutley no sence ! apart for saying you have more money than sense !

I will stick to the copies, after all thats what they are :) and the cash can go on something else.

Last edited:
How do the buttons feel compared to the body - ie is there much difference in the shutter & AF ON button?

that statments makes absolutley no sence ! apart for saying you have more money than sense !

I will stick to the copies, after all thats what they are :) and the cash can go on something else.

Makes a lot of sense. Folk making money from their camera equipment can want to know they can rely upon it to work. The failure rate of chinese copies across the market (not just grips) is quite high, due to lower manufacturing tolerances.

Yes, there will be lots of folk who have never had a problem, but if you do not trust a piece of equipment it is worthless.

If somone earns their living from their camera they need to feel confident that what they are buying is going to do the job for them. And after shelling out that much for the body and probably several grand for lenses I don't see the problem with the price of the grip.

It's not about more money than sense. It's about being sensible enough to minimise any loss of income by buying the best for your needs.

If others are happy with their Chinese or Taiwanese grip then that's the best buy for them.

Last edited:
Never understood why people spend so much on a body and chuck a 3rd party grip on...

Surely that depends on what they are doing with it.

I've had a genuine Nikon D80 grip, and a Meike D7000 grip. I'll never buy another genuine grip again. But then I'll never be a pro photographer.

If you have several thousands of pounds invested and earn a living from it then to a point I could understand it, but for everyone else who is doing it as a hobby I've seen no benefit to spending so much more on a genuine grip. If anything the Meike D7000 grip actually had a shutter release that more closely matched the camera than the D80 one from Nikon. That might have just been my sample.

It's a hollow box with a couple of buttons, dials and contacts. And for many cameras a Meike grip is under £40. That's in gift territory for a lot of people with wives/parents/etc. The MB-D11 for £150 (Amazon) however is not.

Hmmmmm ...wonder who would win between a GENUINE GRIP and a FAR EAST COPY? ...

only one way to find out,,,,, FIGHT!!!!!

I had a pukka Canon grip on my 5D and then got a Mieke grip for my 5D Mk2. While the Canon grip seems a bit better made the difference isn't particularly huge.

For my amateur needs the Mieke one makes far more sense for me. (Fully accept and agree with the "insurance" value of spending more on the Canon one if you're earning your living from it though.)

As to whether to buy a grip or not - the Mieke ones are thirty something quid and seeing as removing or fixing the grip onto the camera takes a matter of seconds then you could always take the view that if you've bought one you have the choice on a particular day whether or not to use it, but if you haven't got one then you don't have the choice.

Last edited:
my experience of chinese copies are that, without much exception, they are made as cheaply as possible with little to no QC. This is more from my experience with other imported goods rather than specifically relating to photography equipment as, to be honest, because of my other experiences I won’t buy chinese 3rd party gear. All my kit is genuine Canon and my cards are Sandisk, you might say I’m an idiot and I have overpaid and could have got a ningkwahtahnafo whatever for a third of the price BUT when I come to sell any of my gear, it will be worth a fair bit more than some chinese copy and not only that, everything I have has been tested and designed to work together in any combination of what I choose to attach. Why spend so much money on the camera and then flake out over a measly couple of hundred quid on the grip? Just my point of view, it doesn’t really require an answer as you will never change my mind. Brands have something to loose called reputation, which the chinese copy factories do not.

How do the buttons feel compared to the body - ie is there much difference in the shutter & AF ON button?

That has always been the problem with the 3rd party grips I have tried. The button feel and response is so much different.

I think it's one of those items where I'd rather have the Canon item!

Well I personally would rather buy another body with the savings, so on that theory our second 5dmk2 was FREE and the grips (touch wood) have never ever failed or missed a beat.

Each to there own is suppose :)

We have no resell value attached, as they get binned when they fail and replaced so that's a factor for us as well.

How many people use genuine car parts? Or iMac memory? Ect its a long list :)

Last edited:
It depends whether you're working outside or not. I wouldn't trust a £40 grip in my line of work.

After seeing the range of products that Meike make I'd be surprised if they were inferior to the originals in any electrical way. They're not mag/alloy bodied and probably wont have the same level of weather sealing as the Canon but they are a fraction of the price and for general day to day shooting by an amateur they are strong enough and reliable enough.

There's many stories of people buying the expensive own brand items only to get them home and they don't work on the net if you look, and a fair few similar for off branded gear as well, but there's thousands of people who get theres any never have a minutes problem with it.

Out of 8 grips for the 7 bodies I've had the only problem has been an occasional battery drain while it was turned off. All have worked perfectly well whilst taking photos and I've never given a minutes thought about it going wrong while I'm using it. If it did I'd just remove the grip and put the battery door back on and keep shooting, easy as that.

I've now got a Meike grip for both my 5D3 and my 7D and I'm thrilled with the way they both work. They're very well made and very reliable too. I got one for my 550D about 2 years ago and it's still working perfectly on the wifes 650D now. For the price you can't really go wrong.

As for batteries, I got some of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-NEW-BA...69?pt=UK_Camera_Batteries&hash=item20c48318c9 last time. They charge as quick as Canon batteries, they hold the charge very well when not in use and they last at least as long as the originals do as well.

As my 5D3 and 7D are both gripped and both use the same (as did my 5D2 when I had it) I've now got 10 batteries, or 5 pairs, and only 1 pair are original. I've taken thousands of photos with these batteries and never had a problem with any of them.

Going back to the Vertax Pixel grip that does have the battery drain problem, the only reason I bought that make was they were the first to release the non genuine grip. I was very pleased with the way it performed when taking shots as it was perfect, if it hadn't of had the drain problem I would still be using it now.

Glad i just read that i to have a Meike grip for my 7d and just ordered one for 5D3(y)

I went for the genuine grip. Mainly because I use a Black Rapid Strap mounted to the tripod socket. It comes down to the quality of materials and did I trust the 3rd party materials ( normally plastic) to hold circa 2kg. Same goes for tripods, if you use a tripod then again that little screw is holding a lot of weight. Just my opinion.

I went for the genuine grip. Mainly because I use a Black Rapid Strap mounted to the tripod socket. It comes down to the quality of materials and did I trust the 3rd party materials ( normally plastic) to hold circa 2kg. Same goes for tripods, if you use a tripod then again that little screw is holding a lot of weight. Just my opinion.

Good point Chris

I got the pixel grip for my 5D3 when I got it, had battery probs, sent it back and got a replacement, this has worked fine for about 3 months but now this has developed battery probs so I guess canon grip here I come.

I'll give a brand a fair go based on others recommendations but I've come to realise its more hassle to me having send these grips back than it is to just stump up for best right at the start.

Back