Canon 5D MKIII battery grip

Why?? the cost is just silly, we have both 5dmk2 gripped with 3rd party about £35 from memory, you would never tell the difference.

We also use third party batteries, never ever had an issue.

The originals if they were priced right would sell, it's just that they are ridiculously priced....

So you buy a Porsche 911 and stick budget tyres on it or cheap break pads from Euro's :wacky:

I tend to agree with mark, I mean you wouldn't buy a top end lens with highly polished elements then stick a cheap u.v. Filter on it. Would you ?

Would you ?

At the end of the day we all purchase what we think is going to help or improve our photography & if the individual thinks it's justified then go for it.

Unless I had money to blow I personally wouldn't get the official grip. I could swallow up to £120 for the official grip, but £300 for a hollow battery container with a few buttons? Having a laugh. I can think of better ways to spend £300 on photography equipment. £300 would get you/contribute to a nice piece of glass.

I think I'm going to eventually buy a Meike for my 5D3. The only thing that slightly concerns me is the tripod thread.

Last edited:
Unless I had money to blow I personally wouldn't get the official grip. I could swallow up to £120 for the official grip, but £300 for a hollow battery container with a few buttons? Having a laugh. I can think of better ways to spend £300 on photography equipment. £300 would get you/contribute to a nice piece of glass.

I think I'm going to eventually buy a Meike for my 5D3. The only thing that slightly concerns me is the tripod thread.

Mine turned up yesterday it looks as good as i was expecting, also had no problem with my last Meike grip for 7d(including the tripod threads)

Also about the porsche think and the uv filter

putting cheap brake pads on you car would give poor performance while braking.

putting a cheap uv filter on a expensive lens might affect quallity of your picture.

3rd party grip? how does it really affect the performance of the camera or the final image?

3rd party grip? how does it really affect the performance of the camera or the final image?

One example could be: the 3rd party, cheap grip blows your £3k camera up, try getting an image with it then, regardless of what lens/UV filter or memory card you have for it.

You have to understand these chinese copy grips go through next to no QC and the manufacturers could not care one tiny amount about you or your camera.

As has been said, there is no right or wrong answer here because its down to what you perceive value in, personally I don’t consider the price of an item to be the reason for buying, I look at the quality and overall reason behind the product.

10% of the value of the camera to spend on a grip is not excessive, this would fall in line with grips for 7D etc (circa £100-£120) but at the end of the day if you feel its too expensive then don’t buy it, no one has a gun to your head. From my experience of using genuine, original kit (touch wood) I have never had an issue, in fact the ONLY time I have ever had an issue with anything was when I first started out I bought a Sigma 70-300 and it had to be repaired under warranty as the AF stopped working. Since then I have stuck with Canon kit and L lens and never had an issue. For me, its worth the extra but like I said, I don’t consider the cost of something to be the reason for buying it, or not.

I know what you saying i have a 7d with a Meike grip(made in japan) never had a problem with it and a 40d with a genuine Canon grip(made in china) with the plastic wheels inside breaking so the grip cant be removed from the camera, so i would hardly say the canon one it better made probably made using the same material :)

Same could probably be said about grey import lenses they are all made in the same factory.

One example could be: the 3rd party, cheap grip blows your £3k camera up, try getting an image with it then, regardless of what lens/UV filter or memory card you have for it.

You have to understand these chinese copy grips go through next to no QC and the manufacturers could not care one tiny amount about you or your camera.

As has been said, there is no right or wrong answer here because its down to what you perceive value in, personally I dont consider the price of an item to be the reason for buying, I look at the quality and overall reason behind the product.

10% of the value of the camera to spend on a grip is not excessive, this would fall in line with grips for 7D etc (circa £100-£120) but at the end of the day if you feel its too expensive then dont buy it, no one has a gun to your head. From my experience of using genuine, original kit (touch wood) I have never had an issue, in fact the ONLY time I have ever had an issue with anything was when I first started out I bought a Sigma 70-300 and it had to be repaired under warranty as the AF stopped working. Since then I have stuck with Canon kit and L lens and never had an issue. For me, its worth the extra but like I said, I dont consider the cost of something to be the reason for buying it, or not.

^^THIS 100%

And the possibility of this happening.. Has it ever happened? Rough stab in the dark but I'm guessing no.

Mark, you pay your money you make your choice .... Your call.

If I was giving advice to a friend that's parted with 3k on camera equipment, It would not be to purchase a 50 quid grip off ebay, as I would feel responseable IF anything was to go wrong.

As already said, many people use third party grips with no issues.

If your looking to save money, why not buy a cheaper camera?

Edit: just to add, if my so called friend bought a used 400d then I would have no
problems recommending a non Canon grip, on a 5dIII ... Its a No!

Last edited:
Have a look on the Meike website http://www.mkgrip.com/en/products.aspx?typeid=80 Do you honestly expect us all to believe that a company of this size and diversity has no quality control and that the people working there are just chucking the stuff together. They are a multi million pound company, not just someone in a garage making bits up. Do you still see China and Japan as some 3rd world country that haven't a clue or aren't interested in quality. They are responsible for some of the best technological breakthroughs of the last half century.

The Meike grip on the wifes 650D started off nearly 2 years ago on my 550D (my first dslr) and has been used to take thousands of photos and has been screwed onto a sling strap loads of times and used to carry the body with a Sigma 150-500 OS with no problems whatsoever. I've had Meike grips on 2 7D's, a 60D, a 5D2 and now a 5D3 and I've had ZERO problems with any of them. Most of the time with larger lenses the strap is connected to the lens foot anyway so that negates the weight problem on the grip.

Last edited:
The Greek said:
If your looking to save money, why not buy a cheaper camera?

What a ridiculous thing to say.. I want the best camera available to me and the 5D3 fitted that bill.

I also wanted it gripped but felt that canon grossly over priced their grip for it.. So after recommendations I went for a cheaper option.. Not because I couldn't afford it or was being miserly.. I just felt it was grossly over priced for what it is and still do.

As my first post said my own grip has given me minor problems but nothing that I see as being dangerous, so I'll be looking at replacing it, and if I can't find another better priced option then I'll stump up and get the canon one.

Oh and just to put a bit of reasoning behind my choice.. My first ever grip was a canon one.. Owned from new along with body it was on.. And the shutter button jammed on it.. So even the big boys aren't perfect by any means.

Edit> oh and it wasn't 50 quid and it didn't come from eBay!

Last edited:
What a ridiculous thing to say.. I want the best camera available to me and the 5D3 fitted that bill.

I also wanted it gripped but felt that canon grossly over priced their grip for it.. So after recommendations I went for a cheaper option.. Not because I couldn't afford it or was being miserly.. I just felt it was grossly over priced for what it is and still do.

As my first post said my own grip has given me minor problems but nothing that I see as being dangerous, so I'll be looking at replacing it, and if I can't find another better priced option then I'll stump up and get the canon one.

Oh and just to put a bit of reasoning behind my choice.. My first ever grip was a canon one.. Owned from new along with body it was on.. And the shutter button jammed on it.. So even the big boys aren't perfect by any means.

Edit> oh and it wasn't 50 quid and it didn't come from eBay!

Sorry Mark, I didn't mean it to come across as you can't afford one, just ment in general, would it not be best to buy a cheaper body and a Canon grip and lens rather than third party.

Anyway, everyone has a different opinion, nothing wrong with that.

The Greek said:
Sorry Mark, I didn't mean it to come across as you can't afford one, just ment in general, would it not be best to buy a cheaper body and a Canon grip and lens rather than third party.

Anyway, everyone has a different opinion, nothing wrong with that.

But then I'd be buying a body that had significantly less capability, I use L glass and would never buy anything of a lesser standard than that, a grip doesn't affect performance or picture quality so why waste money.

As you say everyone has a different opinion, if I was running about all day in the rain with bodies bouncing off each other I could appreciate the need for magnesium and weather sealing, for what I do I can get away without it.

Back