Canon 5D mkIV vs 5DsR (vs mk3)

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
[Censored] Fruitcake Bat
Edit My Images
No
Hopefully in 2019 I will be upgrading one of the bodies. I have two obvious choices, and perhaps some less obvious ones (1DX, Sony) but let's focus on 5D mk IV and 5Ds R

What are the main differences in real life? Is one significantly better in any areas concerning in particular landscapes (I want max resolution, natural colours and a little better dynamic range), interiors (max dynamic range and don't care about res), and it would be nice (but not essential) to finally get a video that at least sort of works without the need to hire focus puller. Portraits and all cheaper interior jobs will still likely get done on the old mk3 so it is really for the personal projects and most demanding customers.

I can't say mk3 is bad in any way but really when you print at 36x24" or above you could do with a little extra.... same for dynamic range... and the bloody SD card could work at full speed.

I have no experience of the 5DsR but I can say that the 5DmkIV is a completely solid all round update from the mk3. If you are a Canon user with any sort of investment in Canon lenses then it is the way to go for an all rounder unless you need to knock nails in with your camera body, in which case the 1DX mk2 is the better choice.

Hopefully in 2019 I will be upgrading one of the bodies. I have two obvious choices, and perhaps some less obvious ones (1DX, Sony) but let's focus on 5D mk IV and 5Ds R

What are the main differences in real life? Is one significantly better in any areas concerning in particular landscapes (I want max resolution, natural colours and a little better dynamic range), interiors (max dynamic range and don't care about res), and it would be nice (but not essential) to finally get a video that at least sort of works without the need to hire focus puller. Portraits and all cheaper interior jobs will still likely get done on the old mk3 so it is really for the personal projects and most demanding customers.

I can't say mk3 is bad in any way but really when you print at 36x24" or above you could do with a little extra.... same for dynamic range... and the bloody SD card could work at full speed.

Skip canon, get something with Sony sensor. Even APS-C Sony sensor match FF canon sensors for dynamic range. There isn't shortage of manufacturers that use Sony sensors.

Skip canon, get something with Sony sensor. Even APS-C Sony sensor match FF canon sensors for dynamic range. There isn't shortage of manufacturers that use Sony sensors.

I'd rather not to be honest. Aps-c output is very poor and overprocessed so much so it is hard to edit. They are fine for consumers but not much more. Canon colours are way more accurate.

A7riii is the only Sony I'd consider today - and they are EXPENSIVE - but only as a second body. The ergonomics are not pretty for every day tool. Too small and no real viewfinder.

Confess to never using either but touchscreen for navigating the menu`s is truly fantastic. I had it on a Nikon d5500 and never wanted to be without it. Now cameras without it feel horrible

I'd rather not to be honest. Aps-c output is very poor and overprocessed so much so it is hard to edit. They are fine for consumers but not much more. Canon colours are way more accurate.

A7riii is the only Sony I'd consider today - and they are EXPENSIVE - but only as a second body. The ergonomics are not pretty for every day tool. Too small and no real viewfinder.

It does have a real viewfinder just not a OVF. Colours can be sorted easily and canon is oversaturated but I don't want to get into the colours argument here since is counterproductive.

As I mentioned there is no shortage of manufacturers that use Sony sensors - Nikon D810, D850, Z7, Pentax K1.
Plenty options about and ones with OVF too. :)

It does have a real viewfinder just not a OVF. Colours can be sorted easily and canon is oversaturated but I don't want to get into the colours argument here since is counterproductive.

As I mentioned there is no shortage of manufacturers that use Sony sensors - Nikon D810, D850, Z7, Pentax K1.
Plenty options about and ones with OVF too. :)

I have too many canon lenses. Good and great lenses... I have less than ZERO intention of selling it all at a huge loss even if D850 is about the best DSLR out there right now. Let's just leave it at that. A7RIII could adapt some of it, except the wideangle would more than likely have sharpness issues in the corners and that is the one I need working well the most. 5D form factor is perfect, the sony is very far from it for me personally.

Canon is oversaturated???? Which one??? XXXD series / the cheap consumer ones? That's why we pay extra for 5D and 1D series.

5DsR has amazing resolution (if you have the lenses and technique to realise it - seriously, it's not easy) but offers nothing else over a 5D3. 5D4 has a bit more resolution, and surely enough for most things, much more dynamic range and an almost ISO-invariant sensor, plus it's a way better camera in all sorts of other ways. Only you know if those extra features will ring your bells but from what I know of your work it may be a closer call than for most of us. I'd go straight for a 5D4.

Or wait. A 5D MkV may be round the corner, or Canon might spring a nice surprise with the next EOS-RII. Either way though, it'll be quite a wait before actually getting one in your hands, and it'll be a lot more money than a grey 5D4 right now.

The 5DSR is a superb camera when paired with top notch lenses but you need a solid tripod If your subjects are moving then very high shutter speeds (or flash duration) are required.....anything less and you're diluting it's advantages

Last edited:
I picked 5DsR over after trying 5D4 (rented) ... 5DsR is like 5D3 but I felt it has slightly better AF than 5D3, not 5D4. Buffer sucks if you into the high frame area. The thing I appreciate most is the sensor resolution and the ability to shoot via phone, the Canon App is very good.

I am now testing Sony A73 with MC-11 and Canon lenses and beginning to like it.

I have too many canon lenses. Good and great lenses... I have less than ZERO intention of selling it all at a huge loss even if D850 is about the best DSLR out there right now. Let's just leave it at that. A7RIII could adapt some of it, except the wideangle would more than likely have sharpness issues in the corners and that is the one I need working well the most. 5D form factor is perfect, the sony is very far from it for me personally.

Canon is oversaturated???? Which one??? XXXD series / the cheap consumer ones? That's why we pay extra for 5D and 1D series.

You asked for the best tool, I suggested the best tool :D

I suppose you didn't actually lol but you did mention less obvious suggestions. Apparently with the latest metabones the UWA lenses work well to the corners on Sonys.

I hear you on ergonomics, but in my personal opinion its a matter of time before you get used to pretty anything unless it's truly horrible which no latest cameras are

If I had to pick a canon I'd pick EOS R for the EVF. Followed by 5D4. The 5DSR is a no go for me. That sensor has nothing going for it apart from the resolution. While I love having 42mp and more in future it's not the only measure for me. As you mentioned dynamic range is important and also ISO performance for me.

Last edited:
I picked 5DsR over after trying 5D4 (rented) ... 5DsR is like 5D3 but I felt it has slightly better AF than 5D3, not 5D4. Buffer sucks if you into the high frame area. The thing I appreciate most is the sensor resolution and the ability to shoot via phone, the Canon App is very good.

I am now testing Sony A73 with MC-11 and Canon lenses and beginning to like it.

The 5dsr works with the canon phone app....? Didn’t know that......[emoji106]

Back