Canon 5D Owners name frustration

Name
Marcus
Edit My Images
Yes
I've worked out why there is always another name in my exif when I open up in photoshop/bridge. My used Canon 5D has the previous owners name embedded in the camera.

I have searched and played for hours to try and make my EOS Utility connect properly to the 5D but when I try to coneect using 'Camera settings/Remote shooting' it says the PC Connect must be enabled on the camera, and when I do it and reconnect it then greys the 'Camera settings/Remore shooting' out.

My conclusion is that I think the modern EOS Utility isnt fully compatible with the 5D. I've tried original EOS and the different updates one at a time. It works exaclty the same on Windows 7 and XP with Sp3.

I don't care about making the EOS Utility work, I just want to change the owners name to either mine or blank.

Help!!!!!!!!

I managed with Windows 7, I don't know why it wont work on yours but is there any chance of getting access to a different PC and giving it a go?

Failing that will clearing all settings clear the name?

Try re-installing it... could just be a little glitch... also is the camera firmware up to date??

I've just tried setting the name in my 5DMkII and once connected the copyright option is greyed out. Followed the manual to the letter and still haven't been able to do it. And this is using the software that came with the camera. Frustrating isn't it Marcus, but you're not the only one.

I think the problem is that software seems to be so full of bugs and conflicts and it's sometimes pretty much impossible to work out why things that should work don't.

Your best chance may be to load the Canon software onto another machine and hope it works.

I had the same issue on my 550D but changed it on-camera. The setting was under Copyright Information.

Is there no such menu option on the 5D?

I had the same issue on my 550D but changed it on-camera. The setting was under Copyright Information.

Is there no such menu option on the 5D?

The 5D has a menu system which is comparable to the 30D or 20D, which is a bit limited, so unless it is a hidden option, then no.

If you can't load the software onto your pc you need to get access to another. It's a two minute job once you can get it going. Is there no chace of getting access to another pc? Family? Friends? Work?

If you can't load the software onto your pc you need to get access to another. It's a two minute job once you can get it going. Is there no chace of getting access to another pc? Family? Friends? Work?

One PC with windows 7 and a laptop with XP. Same problem.

Try running the software as a admin - works fine for me Windows 7 X64

and try a different cable

Last edited:
Try running the software as a admin - works fine for me Windows 7 X64

and try a different cable

Windows 7 X64 as admin.

With a USB 2.0 cable, USB 1.0 cable, random freebie cable.

No difference.

Anyone else?

I use EOS Utilities version 2.6.1 with my 5D running on XP SP3 - no probs :D. I know that some of the later version of EOS Utilities do not support the 5D, hence why I stayed with 2.6.1.

Back