Canon 5D v 5Dii

User.82148

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a 5D which I really enjoy and a 7D ii when I need better AF and speed. Is the 5D ii much better or is the 6D a significant improvement?

I don't think the 2 was much of an upgrade, the MK1 was (is still) a terrific camera, limited only by poor, by today's standards, iso performance, albeit great in normal light. AF on the 2 wasn't much of an improvement afaik.
Keep the mk 1 and get a 6 would be my option.
Matt

6D is a significant improvement in some ways but worse in some ways. It has no 8 way controller or tough body. And the 2 lcd`s are plastic instead of toughened glass. The centre AF point focuses is moonlight which does actually come in handly more than you might think

I think the 5D2 was quite a big jump over the 5D in terms of resolution and video features (i.e. taking videos, live view etc.). In terms of autofocus there wasn't much difference.

Performance wise the 6d kills it dead, its better in every area, as you'd expect. The sensor is infinately more capable.

6D is a significant improvement in some ways but worse in some ways. It has no 8 way controller or tough body. And the 2 lcd`s are plastic instead of toughened glass. The centre AF point focuses is moonlight which does actually come in handly more than you might think

its just as well built as the 5d, its only the top plate thats polycarbonate so that the GPS and wifi can transmit. Otherwise it all mag alloy.

Last edited:
Performance wise the 6d kills it dead, its better in every area, as you'd expect. The sensor is infinately more capable.

its just as well built as the 5d, its only the top plate thats polycarbonate so that the GPS and wifi can transmit. Otherwise it all mag alloy.

Big plastic LCD at the back and plastic LCD at the top

VS

Toughened glass all around on a 5D.

You might not think that counts for anything but I think it is a big deal.

Big plastic LCD at the back and plastic LCD at the top

VS

Toughened glass all around on a 5D.

You might not think that counts for anything but I think it is a big deal.
TBH it makes little difference, toughened polycarbonate is stronger than 'toughened' glass (you need thick glass to toughen, toughened camera screen glass is just mixed with - you guessed it, plastic! Which is why they make high impact protective stuff from polycarbonate mixes and not glass). Neither screen has scratched on my 6d.

Last edited:
5d 11 had significant improvement in terms of the viewing screen, not just in terms of size, but also colour rendition. You would never have appreciated it on a mk1, but after using a mk2 the difference was massive. ISO did show improvements, as did resolution. Don't know about the 6d. Never used one.

Back