Canon 5d vs Canon 40d

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I am thinking of getting myself a 5d and am a bit torn to go for a 40d instead, so here is the question to owners of both.

Apart from the obvious sensor size and MP's etc, what are the difference between the two on performance and quality and build quality. What I mean is do I spend the chunk extra on a 5D ???

5d: full frame, pro camera
40d: crop sensor, semi pro - dont know much *** this camera tbh
To be honest, these two are completely different camera's in their own right, so pretty hard to say really. I am about to get my 5d, and i cannot wait!!!
What are you going to use it for mainly?

Yes. Once you experience that full-frame goodness, every other cropped viewfinder just makes you squint :)

What do you like to shoot? The full frame 5D is better suited to landscapes and people (i.e. static and slow-moving things). The 40D has a faster frame rate, and the cropped sensor lends itself to nature and motorsport, for example: these are only guidelines, of course! I went through the same dilemma in December. In the end, I looked at what I shoot the most, and realised that if I went for the 40D, I'd always end up wondering what the 5D would've produced under the same circumstances. So the decision was easy for me.

The 5D isn't a pro camera, the 1-series bodies are Canon's only pro cameras.

5D is full frame, nuff said for me. Oh and the files it churns out are lovely.

Thats strange, i was chatting to canon guys at the focus show, and they seem to think it was????
Ah, i dont care, cant wait to get me grubby mits on it :)

Canon's press material for the EOS 5D states that it 'defines (a) new D-SLR category', while we're not typically too concerned with marketing talk this particular statement is clearly pretty accurate. The EOS 5D is unlike any previous digital SLR in that it combines a full-frame (35 mm sized) high resolution sensor (12.8 megapixels) with a relatively compact body (slightly larger than the EOS 20D, although in your hand it feels noticeably 'chunkier'). The EOS 5D is aimed to slot in between the EOS 20D and the EOS-1D professional digital SLR's, an important difference when compared to the latter is that the EOS 5D doesn't have any environmental seals. While Canon don't specifically refer to the EOS 5D as a 'professional' digital SLR it will have obvious appeal to professionals who want a high quality digital SLR in a body lighter than the EOS-1D. It will also no doubt appeal to current EOS 20D owners (although lets hope they've not bought too many EF-S lenses...)

i have to say the 5d is a fantastic camera and a good price . for a semi /pro camera

santana007(y)

having a quick look through your threads it seems to mainly be people and landscapes you shoot. On that basis I'd have thought the full frame of the 5D would probably be the one to go for.

Well i already have a 1DmkIIn so its to compliment it. Im after a good portrait camera but can't quite afford a 1DsMkIII or MkII for that matter so I thought a 5D might fill the gap.

I know the 5d is not a pro build but I was after input from someone who owned both to compare the picture quality (forget full frame'e'ness). One uses the digc II and the other Digic III so there must be a bit of difference I would have thought.

having a quick look through your threads it seems to mainly be people and landscapes you shoot. On that basis I'd have thought the full frame of the 5D would probably be the one to go for.

Top man, well spotted.

I am very tempted by the 5d but having got myself a 1d its another chunk of cash to add on for just an amateur :)

I recently had to make the same decision, and as much as I love the full frame on the 5D I personally think I made the wrong choice, and would have been much better opting for the 40D and a new bit of glass. In terms of image quality, the 5D is a little better than the 20D, and the higher IQ at higher ISO is certainly very noticable, but with the right light, you'd be hard pressed to tell the two apart.

Honestly I miss the 1.6 crop, and would have loved some of the features of the 40D. So I guess it just depends on what you're going to use it for.

Couple of other threads on the topic

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=53692
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=53435
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=52159

I'll ignore the full frame v crop, etc.

In terms of build the 40D feels very solid but there's not much in it - neither are sealed so the same precautions will be needed for both. Performance the 40D has faster AF and fps and the newer menu system and control layout which is something I've really appreciated over the 30D (which is almost identical to the 5D).

But really at the end of the day the type of shots will determine the body to go for. If you're leaning towards action then the 40D seems to make more sense, landscapes the 5D would be better.

Well i already have a 1DmkIIn so its to compliment it. Im after a good portrait camera but can't quite afford a 1DsMkIII or MkII for that matter so I thought a 5D might fill the gap.

I know the 5d is not a pro build but I was after input from someone who owned both to compare the picture quality (forget full frame'e'ness). One uses the digc II and the other Digic III so there must be a bit of difference I would have thought.

I have 2 x 1DMKii's, a 5D, and a 1DMKiii. In order of image quality I would rank them :

1st - 5D
2nd - 1DMKiii (although better than the 5D @ 1600 & up)
3rd - 1DMKii (a long way back)

I thought the 1DMKii files were fantastic until I bought the 5D, and soon started using the 5D and MKii at weddings in favour of 2 x MKii's

The 5D has one major failing however - the centre focus point is the only one worth bothering with, try the outer ones and you might as well be playing pin the tail on the donkey. Actually two failings, there is a large shutter lag compared to shooting with a 1D, but you get used to it.

Plenty to mull over, I will have a bit more of a read but must admit I am leaning towards the 5d.

But I am one for changing my mind every ten mins :)

I've got a 5D and a 20D and I think there is a huge difference in the image quality. I've shot the same pics in a studio using both cameras side by side and there was a discernable difference in how the images were recorded.
I keep the 20D to use with the 100-400 when I want the field of view offered by the crop sensor. The rest of the time? Give me the 5D anyday.

After owning a 300d and then a 20d prior to getting my 5D, i can say one thing......i'm not going back to a 1.6x crop!

the 5d's image quality is :love:

I've got a 5D and a 20D and I think there is a huge difference in the image quality. I've shot the same pics in a studio using both cameras side by side and there was a discernable difference in how the images were recorded.
I keep the 20D to use with the 100-400 when I want the field of view offered by the crop sensor. The rest of the time? Give me the 5D anyday.

I agree, as I have the same 2 cameras. I use both cameras at Weddings with different lenses on and even though both cameras are set up the same, the colour quality of the 5D is far superior to the 20D and so is the IQ especially at high ISOs

I don't have a 5D (yet) but...

Almost all of the shots I see on here from the 5D show really rich colours and they have a better "clarity". I'm sure it's down to the full frame sensor, but it may just be rose tinted specs....

If you're not doing wildlife or motorsport, where the 6.5 fps and extra reach come in handy, then the 5D is the better unit. It's heavy though (well, compared to my lickle 350D anyway).

Steve

Has no one mentioned the fact that the 40D is now £499 after cashback and the 5D is more than twice that at £1,100+...................?

I would hope a camera which is £600 more is quite a bit better............

As this thread is about comparing the 5D with the 40D, for twice the price is the 5D worth it ?

As this thread is about comparing the 5D with the 40D, for twice the price is the 5D worth it ?

Hell yes!
It is to me anyway.
i think the reason why it is so much more expensive is it uses a full frame snesor, and i dont think they come cheap?? Am i right?
:)

well heres a different view at it.
5D Pros: Full frame, 12.8mp, very low noise.
40D Pros: New camera, Digic III, 10.2MP, low noise, 3" LCD + Live view, EOS 1 menu

5D cons, its the oldest camera in the line up, old technology, slower than 40D, 2.5" LCD
40D cons, inferior image quality.

Now if you put a L series lens on a 40D you will get a brilliant photo.
Not everyone can afford the 5D, hence why the 40D is so much more popular.

If money was no object i would get the 5D.
but money is the object for most of us and value for money leans towards the 40D

Atp: money is an object for me too, i didnt mean too sound like that! lol. I have saved really hard for over a year now to be able to get that, and trust me, wont be upgrading for a longggg time! hehe
:)

One uses the digc II and the other Digic III so there must be a bit of difference I would have thought.

If you're a raw shooter, the processing engine doesn't matter all that much (unless it processes raws somehow too).
Now I've only seen sample jpegs (full size) and I haven't played with sample raw files ( http://raw.fotosite.pl/ is my source for raw samples ), but if you really are after better image quality, raws are often the better way to go. I only have a D50, but I'm able to get cleaner shots and crops from raw almost every time.

That said, both the 40D and the 5D have pretty good in-camera processing, so if you don't print them big, it could save you some time.
The resolution and clarity of 5D shots is excellent, but probably all shots I've seen were made with lenses that are excellent as well.

Well being as I already own a crop camera albeit 1.3x I think I will go with the full framey luvliness of the 5D. After cashback and kerso about 1050ish which is bloody good me thinks :)

Back