Canon 5D with Speedlight 580Exii problems

Keltic Ice Man

Glossary King
Name
Allan
Edit My Images
Yes
ive just got a canon 5d mk1 and put my canon speedlight 580EXii flash on, sometimes the flash works ok, in Ettl, other times i see the screen on the flash change to ttl and the whole flash is dumped when i take a picture.

Ive tried my canon speedlight 430 exii and it seems to always go to ETTL and works fine.

My Speedlight 580Exii works perfectly in Ettl on my 7D. So im wondering is it the hotshoe on the 5d mk1, is it a setting, is it im a newbie with that camera and im missing something stupid :)

Any thoughts?

Hi Allan,

Slightly different kit, but my 5Dmk1 does something similar with my Nissin di866. Just checked my last shoot and I got 2 full power pops out of 80ish frames. Flash appears to function perfectly on all of my other bodies.

I always assumed there was a little problem with either flash or camera (or combination of body with my flash) but as it is only the occasional frame i am not too concerned.

Will be interesting to see if others have had similar problems!

It is almost certainly not a setting. I used to have two 580exII on my 1DmkIV, I found a similar scenario where it would occasionally do a full power dump. This was really annoying as I have to keep chimping the screen to make sure I got the shot. Cleaning the contacts on both the flash and camera hotshoe with a special cleaning pen seemed to reduce these occurances. As I need reliable flash I have now bought three of the 600EX-RT, I have had one occurance of a full power dump, not enough to draw any conclusions yet. The wireless link works flawlessley.

But don't get me started on Canon making parts of their new flash incompatible with all cameras more than 1 year old! (groups, sync speed)

Last edited:
Back