Canon 5D2 v Canon 5D3

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I am just about to take ownership of a brand new 5D3 after having the 5D2, I would like to know what views people who have done the same upgrade are, did you think 'wow' or were they too similar etc

Thanks.

I went from a 5Dii to a 5Diii back in 2012. I was so impressed with it, that I bought a second one as a back-up! They are not similar at all and you won't regret it. (y)

One tip though - don't let anyone give you a shot of a 1Dxii....... :naughty:

I was the same, mightily impressed with the jump from the 2 to the 3. Cant see what would make me want to move from it now its so good.

The 5D3 was certainly a ' WOW ' for me and still is. It was what the 5D2 ought to have been. While the earlier model was pretty good at low light in its heyday, those 9 points and somewhat wanting AF were its ' Achilles heel '. The 5D3 on the other hand with even more points, AF zones and the AF system out of the 1Dx makes it IMHO a most worthy body in every way. It certainly is for me as an event shooter. It could be a little lighter I suppose but that apart and given the range of Canon's lenses, the 5D3 is the perfect body for me.

PS - the 5D4 has just been announced at £3,599.....

Canon are really being more than a little presumptuous!!!

As mentioned I went from the MK2 to MK3 and found it a massive difference. The focus points alone were brilliant and all the different case for Servo were awesome, I then went to a 1DIV, found that better than the MK3 but had the smaller crop of 1.3, then went to a 6D and then 1DX then a 1DXII. The 5D3 is still a camera id use as a back up and may pick one up soon.

As mentioned I went from the MK2 to MK3 and found it a massive difference. The focus points alone were brilliant and all the different case for Servo were awesome, I then went to a 1DIV, found that better than the MK3 but had the smaller crop of 1.3, then went to a 6D and then 1DX then a 1DXII. The 5D3 is still a camera id use as a back up and may pick one up soon.

How did you find the 6D? (I'm considering one or a 5Diii)

How did you find the 6D? (I'm considering one or a 5Diii)
the 6d is ok, think of it as an upgraded mk2. if you want the mk3 i cant say too much against it, brilliant body. I was going to get a mark 4 but if the price further up this thread of £3599 is right. F**k that ill get the 5ds!!

The 6D has pretty much the same focus as the 5D2 but its way better in darker conditions, I enjoyed it a really good camera. Even after using the 5D3 the wifi was brilliant.

AF system can handle different situations well on the 5D3. It's less hit and miss. A lot less. Learn to use it properly and it serves very well indeed. Much better with people shots wide open on fast glass. Nails focus most of the time.

Worth the upgrade alone for the AF system. Best I've used in a camera !!

This. Also the AA filter is a lot weaker, so the real life resolution gain is quite substantial.

Back