Canon 5dMk3 and 70D - quandry

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
For the past two years I have used a Mk3 for my hobby photography - I use it for photographing birds, planes, animals in zoos, landscapes, macro shots of flowers and insects predominantly.

However healthwise carrying a heavy camera and all the various lensesand bits around (wide angle, tele-zoom and macro plus flashes, tripod) I'm finding increasingly more difficult.

I therefore am considering selling the full frame Mk3, and buying a new 70D - this would also allow a bit of movement to upgrade a couple of accessories / lenses financially.

I have read so many reviews on the Internet now, that my bias is towards the 70D.

However I would appreciate input from people on here in light of my comments above.

Thanks all

70d is lighter and smaller and very good, pretty pleased with mine over the last 11 months even if I have not managed to use it much.. The moving screen is very handy for Macro. Af is fast, accurate and tracks well. Only issues I find with mine is sports in dark indoor halls FF higher iso would be a help so I'm thinking of moving from a 70D to 5dMkiii. Maybe pop to a local store and have a play with a 70D if you haven't already.

The lens add lots of weight to your bag to carry about so this is a key area to get right if you want to lose the weight. What lens do you have now and what lens are you planning to go with the 70D?

24 is too wide on 70d. You might need to look a 17-55 f2.8 or 15-85. I have 17-55 f2.8 and 70-200 L F4 IS both are super lens. For a walk around lens the 15-85 might give the perfect range but it depends if you need the lower f stop.

Andrew have you actually had your grubby little hands on a 70D to judge for yourself weight size etc?

good if not i am local to you so if you wanted a handle look take some sample shots you are more than welcome

There is no comparison between 5D and cheap half frame consumer body. Well, there is 100g difference, or a few snackbars if you like that notation better. I suggest you organise your bag better and pick only what you need for the job. I'd also think if your bag is made to be comfortable and whether it distributes weight properly. Many bags like slings are simply not suitable serious use and pose health damage.

Intriguing comment when you say no comparison, which seems to run contrary to a lot of comparisons I have read so far. I know historically the claim that crop sensors are not as good as full frame was the case, but is it really that big a difference in this scenario? Can you tell me more on how you arrived at your decision. FWIW it is not just total bag weight that I am considering it is the onset of arthritis in my hands and wrists that is making me look at options.

24 is too wide on 70d. You might need to look a 17-55 f2.8 or 15-85. I have 17-55 f2.8 and 70-200 L F4 IS both are super lens. For a walk around lens the 15-85 might give the perfect range but it depends if you need the lower f stop.

Totally agree, your 24-105 will effectively become a 38-168 on a 70D, which is a totally different lens. If your trying to cut down on weight then you don't want to be carrying a wide lens as well, surely? So if I was you I'd lose the 24-105 and get a 15-85, which is effectively 24-136 and lighter than the 24-105 as well.

Last edited:
Intriguing comment when you say no comparison, which seems to run contrary to a lot of comparisons I have read so far. I know historically the claim that crop sensors are not as good as full frame was the case, but is it really that big a difference in this scenario? Can you tell me more on how you arrived at your decision. FWIW it is not just total bag weight that I am considering it is the onset of arthritis in my hands and wrists that is making me look at options.

You'll understand when you try it. Colour rendition, sharpness and clarity are not the same.

You also don't realise that gripping a smaller body will make life HARDER, not easier. Weight difference is MINIMAL. Otherwise you may as well go for the horrible (in my opinion, of course) Sony things.

350D, 40D, 70D also a variety of lenses, I love my 70D but to be honest swapping from a 5D is something I would seriously think about depending on what type of shooting you are into, if landscape, low light then it is according to reviews then you might end up dissappointed, having said that I have used iso6400 perfectly acceptable. The biggest downside for me is the 70D does not have the joystick which i customized to af selection point, it can be done on the 70D via the joypad but not so effective in use as the joystick in my opinion.
one main reason for me upgrading from 40D was video mode as I have a grandaughter, I have got 2 stm lenses for that purpose

Must admit my gut reaction is re your health issues are handling not sure you are going to gain anything, weight wise carry less but of course you are the best person to make the decision.

if you want a meet up mate will bring my lenses aswell, we could wonder around the harbour for a couple of hours and chew the cud :) let me know if you wish to have a good handle of the kit

If you like the FF how about the 6D. Same weight as the 70D

Back