Canon 5dmk4 Thread

Edit My Images
No
hi all.

Canon are about to announce the new 5d series camera in a couple of weeks time and i am sure some of you are eager to find out what specs/improvements it will have. So here is a dedicated thread all about this camera.

what i personally want from the sequel to the 5d4 to make it worthwhile to upgrade are the following:

• Built in IS in the body
  • Wifi so i can transfer high res JPEGS to my phone on the fly
  • dual Compact flash or dual CFast cards(skip sd card slot altogether
  • 8-10fps
  • 30mp+ sensor
  • DR thats as good or better then the A7r2
  • 1 stop or more better ISO performance compared to 5d3
  • Able to remotely control the camera and take images using my android phone connected to the camera
  • AF that matches the 1dxmk2
So far only a handful of the above have been almost confirmed such as the mp count and wifi. link > http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-specifications-and-image/

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Specifications rumours.

• 30.4mp
  • 7fps
  • Compact Flash/SD Card Slots (No CFast)
  • Built-in Wifi
  • 24/30fps @ 4K
  • 60fps @ 1080
  • 120fps @ 720
  • 4:2:2
  • 8bit 500mbps MJPEG
  • USB 3
  • Cable release port moved to the front of the camera where the “Mark XX” badge was.
  • A lot more touchscreen functionality than the EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Other ergonomic changes, such as a new “locking switch” on the rear of the camera.

Do note that regardless of what specs is in this camera, it will most likely not be ugraded again for the next 4-5 years. Had canon upgraded there cameras every 2 years, i could live with minimal improvements over the 5d3 but because we will have just this camera for the next 4-5 years, tech and specs will be outdated rapidly especially when the likes of sony keep innovating and churning out new cameras and tech/features almost once a year.

Surely Sony will catch up in the areas it is lacking such as AF and buffer/speed within the next 2 years way in the lifecycle of the 5d4 and possibly surpass it in every shape and form?

That is my worry. It seems that canon are like iOS,. its reliable and does the job well but compared to Android, it is lacking in some killer features and nowadays, Android has a larger market share and more fanbase then iOS now.

Will canon continue to do do incremental updates on there bodies once every 4 years or will they either churn out more incremental updates every 2 years? Or for every 4 years, do a major upgrade/change?

If they include all the stuff i mentioned, that to me is a major update .

What do you guys think?

Im not such a fan of touchscreen, but frame rate increase would be good. Would give just a little more versatility for action shots. That said, Canon might not want to push it too far so as not to encroach on the 7dmk2. I cant see myself wanting to upgrade as just so pleased with my existing MK3.

Dont honestly think they will be marketing it at the 5D3 owners whatever the improvements are.

Well my guess is below.

• Built in IS in the body - Won't see this happen in Canon's sensor.
  • Wifi so i can transfer high res JPEGS to my phone on the fly - This will be a good option to have.
  • dual Compact flash or dual CFast cards(skip sd card slot altogether - Wishing for CFast and an updated SD slot.
  • 8-10fps - Might be 7fps only, but would be nice if it hit 8fps but can't see this happening.
  • 30mp+ sensor - Yay.
  • DR thats as good or better then the A7r2 - Will see improvement, but my take will be lacking A7R2.
  • 1 stop or more better ISO performance compared to 5d3 - My prediction will be the same performance as 1Dx or half stop better.
  • Able to remotely control the camera and take images using my android phone connected to the camera - Build-in Wifi with dedicated Canon Android and iOS App.
  • AF that matches the 1dxmk2 - Plausible.

I'll play..

I'd like to see sensor kept below 25mp - if you need a pixel beast then canon have two cameras already to satisfy your lust for pixels, I'd rather have fewer pixels in place of better ISO performance thanks to a lower pixel density

FPS 5-6 - again I don't really need a fast frame rate if I'm perfectly frank so would rather keep it slower and smoother, and again if you need fast well then canon has you covered with 7D2 and 1DX2 etc

ISO - I'd really love to see decent performance even at the higher ISO values, usable files at 25000 would be lovely but we will see clean 6400 would be a dream

DR - who doesn't want more dynamic range, the more the better

CF cards only 2 slots, I've found I only use the CF slot on my mk3 these days unless a back up is crucial I just don't trust SD cards or me with them anymore they are so flimsy in comparison to a CF

Video - I could live without it if the truth be known so if it must be on the camera I'd life AF in video and high frame rates just as I do love a bit of slow motion

LP-E6 compatibility as well as the new version of the battery

That's about it for me

5D3 is a fine camera as it is. Only let down by extreme situations, pretty much like all top end cameras.
It not a fine camera anymore. Tech moves on. Sensor is outdated as well as its features and af system.

It's like saying today the 5d classic is a fine camera and no need to upgrade

It not a fine camera anymore. Tech moves on. Sensor is outdated as well as its features and af system.

To play devils advocate, it depends how you define what is a good camera. I would argue that the 5DMK3 is a very fine camera. I am sure the 5D classic is as well. In fact my first camera was an Olympus OM20 and that was also a fine camera. Yes, technology moves on, but that doesn't stop the other cameras from still being good. In most cases I believe the additions may make photography easier, or give us more options, such as higher iso capbability, but the majority of shots can still be achieved using older technology but it may be necessary to employ more technique.
I am a bit of a gear geek, so always want the latest tech, but I don't believe something new necessarily detracts or lessens what went before. Of course there are limits but as a general rule believe this is true.

To say the mk 3 isnt a fine camera is ridiculous. I think you should go and check out Jerry Ghionis work with a 5d classic.... he would blow the rest of us out of the water with our "very fine cameras". A good or bad camera is only determined by the hands it is in.

I use a 5d3 and still a 5d2(shame on me) on a daily basis. When I bought the mk 3 I didnt become a better photographer the same way a mk4 wont change me. It entertains me to see gear heads buy the latest and greatest and look bemused as to why their images are not any better LOL

To say the mk 3 isnt a fine camera is ridiculous. I think you should go and check out Jerry Ghionis work with a 5d classic.... he would blow the rest of us out of the water with our "very fine cameras". A good or bad camera is only determined by the hands it is in.

I use a 5d3 and still a 5d2(shame on me) on a daily basis. When I bought the mk 3 I didnt become a better photographer the same way a mk4 wont change me. It entertains me to see gear heads buy the latest and greatest and look bemused as to why their images are not any better LOL

Absolutely, 5D3 can deliver perfect A2 and even A1 prints any day and if that isn't "fine" the problem lies elsewhere. We are sure the mkIV will be even finer and hopefully this is what we are still discussing.

my point was when someone said why bother getting a mk4 when the mk3 is fine.

I then replied and said well why bother with a mk2 when the 5d classic was fine?

Tech moves on that allows us to capture things better in extreme conditions, Capture things easier, recover images shot in harsh conditions etc.

By some of your logic, why dont we stick with a canon rebel then? Why do you guys have full frame cameras when other cheaper cameras do the job?

Last edited:

I was referring simply to the statement above. I know what you are getting at but just disagree with this statement.

Why would we buy a Ferrari or Porsche if we are trying to get from A to B a Skoda would do (to use an out of date cliche on the quality of Skodas) - for various reasons of course speed, reliability, quality etc. However, when Porsche release a 2016 911, does the 2014 version suddenly cease to be a good car? Can that car still get from A to B in style, with speed and comfort? Of course it can, it just might spin off the road easier in the wet without the latest traction gizmos if the driver isn't very competent or loses concentration easier than the latest model. The 2014 is still a "fine" car, its just that its been improved upon.

Possibly not the best analogy, but what I am getting at, is because something is better, it doesn't make the existing product worse. The 5DMK3 is an exceptionally fine camera to my mind.

OK fair enough. i just think differently as the 5d3 did not just come out last year with yesterdays tech/features. Its features, tech and performance is over 4 years old to be honest and the next 5d will have to last a further 4-5 years before the next upgrade.

Surely this depends on your requirements. I'm looking forward to see if the MKIV a improves on the MkIII, I'm sure it will. If it follows Canon recent efforts with better dynamic range at low ISO that in itself will be a good start.

However there are many who don't need a better sensor or dynamic range to get the images that they need, people who don't shoot in extremes of light.

The 7DMkII is a fine camera if you dont want to shoot at high ISO. If you do then it isn't so good so you buy the tool that allows you to do so. Same with the MkIV when it arrives. Some will buy it coz they have to have the latest others will think it's not giving me anything I don't already have.

Sony drive forward with a lot of clever innovations and their AF is advancing and its probably already passed DSLRs for some photographers. For others however it's doesn't cut the mustard so if and when I see the photographers at the Olympics using an A7R II then I will think maybe it's worth a look but until I do I will pass it by.

my point was when someone said why bother getting a mk4 when the mk3 is fine.

Tech moves on that allows us to capture things better in extreme conditions, Capture things easier, recover images shot in harsh conditions etc.

By some of your logic, why dont we stick with a canon rebel then? Why do you guys have full frame cameras when other cheaper cameras do the job?

Using your analogy, many photographers don't 'need' to buy the latest model to deliver results that work for them. Whilst dynamic range and high ISO performance are obviously benchmarks, not everyone shoots in a cave at midnight. I'm sure there are a lot of wedding/portrait photographers shooting on crop sensor cameras and still getting paid for it quite happily.

There are also photographers who 'have' to buy the latest model just because it's been released and the perception is that it will make them deliver better results. Please don't take this the wrong way, but the shots you recently took in Peru with the highest level of Sony kit are excellent but on the whole you weren't really pushing the kit because you were shooting in bright sun in a country with lots of colour etc. If you were shooting underground in the middle of winter I'm sure the Sony sensor would outperform the Canon which comes back to your comment about delivering better results in extreme conditions which is where they will shine.

Using your analogy, many photographers don't 'need' to buy the latest model to deliver results that work for them. Whilst dynamic range and high ISO performance are obviously benchmarks, not everyone shoots in a cave at midnight. I'm sure there are a lot of wedding/portrait photographers shooting on crop sensor cameras and still getting paid for it quite happily.

There are also photographers who 'have' to buy the latest model just because it's been released and the perception is that it will make them deliver better results. Please don't take this the wrong way, but the shots you recently took in Peru with the highest level of Sony kit are excellent but on the whole you weren't really pushing the kit because you were shooting in bright sun in a country with lots of colour etc. If you were shooting underground in the middle of winter I'm sure the Sony sensor would outperform the Canon which comes back to your comment about delivering better results in extreme conditions which is where they will shine.
Thats what i was saying. By definiton, none of us need FF sensors but we still have right?

Also there is one thing that hasnt been mention yet and thats enjoyment. I read an article somewhere by a known togger that mentioned that even though camera x has a small upgrade or is overkill for their needs, the sheer joy of using that specific equipment should not be overlooked whatsoever as it forces you to go out and shoot and enjoy it.

some of my pics in peru i had to pull the shadows up as i did not want to destroy the highlights of the sky. infact many of the shots in machu pitchu were like that. If i could show you the before and after shots you will see how much i actually did stress the capabilities of the sensor.

Earlier in the winter i actually did shoot during the night handheld manual focus as well thanks to (another feature missing in canon dslr) focus peaking.

Trust me i have shot in extreme conditions from low light to shooting low shutter speeds without a tripod(IBIS).

Also, since owning a sony, its almost always in my bag due its size and weight.

So in theory, for me features and sensor performances are vital for my shooting and for my enjoyment.

Also , coming back to the original guy saying (this camera is not aimed at existing 5d3) are you kidding? Canon wants to pull all existing 5d3 owners to once again buy there new generation of camera plus try to entice none 5d/FF owners to buy there 5d4 instead of a 5d3..

Its like apple saying (The iphone 7 is not aimed for existing iphone 6 users...)

Last edited:
Thats what i was saying. By definiton, none of us need FF sensors but we still have right?

Also there is one thing that hasnt been mention yet and thats enjoyment. I read an article somewhere by a known togger that mentioned that even though camera x has a small upgrade or is overkill for their needs, the sheer joy of using that specific equipment should not be overlooked whatsoever as it forces you to go out and shoot and enjoy it.

some of my pics in peru i had to pull the shadows up as i did not want to destroy the highlights of the sky. infact many of the shots in machu pitchu were like that. If i could show you the before and after shots you will see how much i actually did stress the capabilities of the sensor.

Earlier in the winter i actually did shoot during the night handheld manual focus as well thanks to (another feature missing in canon dslr) focus peaking.

Trust me i have shot in extreme conditions from low light to shooting low shutter speeds without a tripod(IBIS).

Also, since owning a sony, its almost always in my bag due its size and weight.

So in theory, for me features and sensor performances are vital for my shooting and for my enjoyment.

Also , coming back to the original guy saying (this camera is not aimed at existing 5d3) are you kidding? Canon wants to pull all existing 5d3 owners to once again buy there new generation of camera plus try to entice none 5d/FF owners to buy there 5d4 instead of a 5d3..

Its like apple saying (The iphone 7 is not aimed for existing iphone 6 users...)

I get the enjoyment factor and that's got to be near the top of the list for most photographers. If you don't enjoy using the kit, you will struggle to get the results you like and in return you will start to resent it. The well worn phrase about the best camera being the one you have with you is true (whether it's an iPhone, Polaroid or FF).

My point is that you specifically appear to feel like you 'need' to have the latest kit and when the latest model is released, the previous generation suddenly stops delivering results which isn't true. I agree that newer tech brings newer developments and in some cases they bring improved results. Things like focus peaking and IBIS, which are less likely to make it into a Canon body due to their preference for in lens stabilisation and the LiveView implementation on a DSLR not being as good as a mirrorless body, are welcome additions.

As per your comment, the Sony seems to be the best all round solution for you because it fits your requirements technically and physically. For other photographers, a previous generation FF body, whether that's Canon/Nikon/Sony etc will still deliver excellent results within its technical capabilities. As an example, the last wedding I shot this year was covered by a Nikon D750 and a Sony A6000. I didn't get any complaints from the clients and the split of final images was around 60/40 to the Nikon so a crop camera is able to deliver results where needed. I'd agree that FF delivers a different look but that doesn't mean it's the only option.

Last edited:
I've moved away from DSLR's but I had Canon DSLR's for over 10 years so I still like to follow developments and as an outsider looking in it seems to me that this new 5D will be a perfectly adequate camera but just without any particular killer feature or WoW factor. As the car analogy has been made I'd say this Canon is a people carrier, conservative, sensible and a day to day workhorse so maybe WoW isn't strictly necessary for this role but as jonney points out a little joy is always nice :D

I've moved away from DSLR's but I had Canon DSLR's for over 10 years so I still like to follow developments and as an outsider looking in it seems to me that this new 5D will be a perfectly adequate camera but just without any particular killer feature or WoW factor. As the car analogy has been made I'd say this Canon is a people carrier, conservative, sensible and a day to day workhorse so maybe WoW isn't strictly necessary for this role but as jonney points out a little joy is always nice :D
In a way I was expecting it to be more exciting, touch screen is a welcome addition, I wonder if it is fully implemented? I would have liked to have seen a flip screen, but I doubt it would ever find its way to a pro body from canon

Nothing really too ground breaking really, we will have to see if Nikon and Sony have anything in store for Photokina..... I'm pretty certain Sony will announce the Sony A9.

Well I'm actually delighted at those specs as they're resisted the temptation to whack a monster sensor in the some 50+ beast, some other interesting improvements however not enough for me personally that I'd feel the need to upgrade from the mk3 I own so it means I don't need to save a few thousand pounds lol or can save it but for some other need :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I'd be interested to see what the mk4 offers !

Also when will stupid arguments about the latest and greatest tech end.

Amuses me no end

What I said earlier was that the 5D3 is a fine camera in all but extreme conditions and by that I meant we are close to getting to the point where only very extreme conditions render the new technology worthwhile. For every day use the 5D3 is a much better camera than the classic in terms of af, colour rendition, iso performance etc and the mk4 will be a better camera but I doubt it will be the quantum leap the 3 was over the 2 or even the classic. So it won't be aimed at mk3 owners in much the same way every new model canon have launched has not been aimed at the previous model but one maybe 2 or even 3 models previously released as such the latest model is a good leap forward, for mk3 owners I think we will need to wait until the mk5 before it is worth jumping, unless of course you are latest obsessed or have worn your mk3 out. It's your money and I am not going to tell you what you can spend it on!
Matt

Last edited:
My thoughts on this...
  • Built in IS in the body - won't happen, - Canon have nailed their colours to the mast with in lens IS.
  • Wifi so i can transfer high res JPEGS to my phone on the fly - again won't happen, they can only do this with a polycarbonate top plate, and Canon know much of their target market demands metal.
  • dual Compact flash or dual CFast cards(skip sd card slot altogether - why? more likely to be 2 SD cards nowadays.
  • 8-10fps - maybe 8 (depending on resolution) - I doubt they'll go to 10 as it'd barge in to the 1dx market.
  • 30mp+ sensor - perfectly reasonable
  • DR thats as good or better then the A7r2 - I've no idea what that means, but there's every chance of a step change in DR / noise as they've changed the proximity of the processor (as in 80d)
  • 1 stop or more better ISO performance compared to 5d3 - as above, you can safely expect this.
  • Able to remotely control the camera and take images using my android phone connected to the camera - requires WiFi, see above, unlikely to happen.
  • AF that matches the 1dxmk2, - it'll probably be a step behind as the 5dIII was.

Back