Canon 5DS or 5 DS R

Name
Nick (yes there is more than one of us)
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all, yes an older camera.

I am thinking about picking one of these machines up, I fancy the 50Mb sensor.

However one thing, that seems divide the various reviews online/YouTube is it's AF performance.

I know that it shares the same AF options as the Canon 1Dx / Canon D5 IV so would have thought that it should perform on pare with them.

So, the question is, has anyone used one of these machine for anything other than static subjects, so motorsport, trains. birds in flight or anything moving, how did you find the AF, good, so so, not as good as the other two but OK?

Cheers.

1. I'm not convinced there is much point in getting such high resolution camera for moving things because any potential motion blur will negate extra resolution
This is a tripod and studio camera. Really.

2. You will need mega sharp glass to make the full use of the sensor. Most canon EF zooms are not up to the task except may be the sweet spot are. Think sigma art primes and big whites

3. Noise is a thing. I really don't like taking it over iso 800 even as a last resort, and ideally just left at 100 on tripod. Unless you fancy spending ages denoising and at the end of it resizing down

4. R5 is not a miracle but around 2 stops cleaner. That's expected progress in 7 years

5. AF is as good as 5d3. Which means they are both not very good, just that 5ds shows the flaws much better. It focuses better with art glass and hates EF ones. Go figure that out.

6. 5dsr > 5ds. AA filter is annoying. You still get moire so that's a lose lose situation. To compensate for filter you need only the best of the best glass at optimum apertures.
F8 is diffraction limit, so anything higher will result in lower effective resolution

To reiterate the only point of getting 5dsr is all that 50mp resolution at the expense of absolutely everything else including your old lenses and even sanity

Last edited:
@LongLensPhotography Hi thanks for the response, I had a feeling that I might get that reply and was thinking that "it only really works on a tripod".

So I can now cross that off the list :)

@LongLensPhotography Hi thanks for the response, I had a feeling that I might get that reply and was thinking that "it only really works on a tripod".

So I can now cross that off the list :)
It's not as bad, it also works with studio strobes :LOL:

As an all rounder you are better off with something a little more modern that has features like pixel based AF and ibis

Back