Canon 5DSR owners - any real life shooting scenarios YOU'VE had where moire has been an issue?

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
No
I'd like to hear about them, I'm tied between the 5DS and 5DSR at the minute, and wanted to hear how often these things occur and what your subjects are.

Cheers
Graeme

I owned the 5dsr for a few months before I sold it ( not because it was awful etc because I wasn't using it as much as I should and have all 3 sony a72 bodies) I never noticed any morie whatsoever.... if I was using it purely for photography would get the r as the lack of filter makes it a tiny bit sharper.... if for video would stick with the s if you are worried they are both fab

I understand its mostly on fabrics ,Iv not had any problem with birds or other wild life .

Rob.

I understand its mostly on fabrics ,Iv not had any problem with birds or other wild life .

Rob.

Yes, fabrics are probably the most common cause of moire, though the 5DSR's high pixel count helps to minimise potential problems. I've been using a 5DSR a lot recently, and photographing camera bags and backpacks for work. There were some real problems, though the moire local adjustment tool in Lightroom is very effective at sorting it out. Easy enough, though it takes time if you have a lot of images to do.

I might go back to the 5D2 for that job next time, though that's not completely immune to moire either. As a comment though, moire problems wouldn't stop me buying a 5DSR. On the other hand, the sharpness advantage over the 5DS, with AA-filter, can only be seen in very critical work.

bump - would i notice this in weddings?
With the amount of shots taken at weddings, will you want to fill your cards and PC with such huge files when cameras like the 5/6d are so good for weddings? It's low light performance is also well below par compared to the 5/6d.

I wouldn't use the 5ds/r for wedding personally, but not because of the moiré.

Last edited:
bump - would i notice this in weddings?

Yes, if they're wearing clothes ;)

The problem with the camera bags was the coarse weave of the fabrics when, at a certain distance, it clashed with the pixel grid. So less likely with the smoother fabrics of wedding wear I would guess, though it will happen from time to time with fine patterns like maybe some lace on the bride's dress, tweedy jackets, fine herringbone perhaps.

I'm not a wedding photographer but like Jim says, I think high ISO performance is important and the other thing is file sizes when weddings can rack up a couple of thousand images. You'll be needing to double up on memory and looking to a turbo charged PC.

Yes, if they're wearing clothes ;)

The problem with the camera bags was the coarse weave of the fabrics when, at a certain distance, it clashed with the pixel grid. So less likely with the smoother fabrics of wedding wear I would guess, though it will happen from time to time with fine patterns like maybe some lace on the bride's dress, tweedy jackets, fine herringbone perhaps.

I'm not a wedding photographer but like Jim says, I think high ISO performance is important and the other thing is file sizes when weddings can rack up a couple of thousand images. You'll be needing to double up on memory and looking to a turbo charged PC.
With the amount of shots taken at weddings, will you want to fill your cards and PC with such huge files when cameras like the 5/6d are so good for weddings? It's low light performance is also well below par compared to the 5/6d.

I wouldn't use the 5ds/r for wedding personally, but not because of the moiré.

It was more for the high resolution really, and was curious about the wedding front but i'd use my 1DX for that, no doubt. Maybe good lighting situations outside the 5DSR.
5DSR I'd like to use for wildlife, that would be my main application i think, on those good light days. Any thoughts regarding this?

In addition i feel it would be a great combination to have a 1DX and 5DSR in the bag - anyone disagree?

Why not a 5d3 or is it specifically that u wanted the 50 megapixels?

It was more for the high resolution really, and was curious about the wedding front but i'd use my 1DX for that, no doubt. Maybe good lighting situations outside the 5DSR.
5DSR I'd like to use for wildlife, that would be my main application i think, on those good light days. Any thoughts regarding this?
The 20 + MP of the 5/6d is more than anyone would need.

Ultra + res for weddings is counter productive, think portraiture, a lot of people might not want every blemish or wrinkle sharply rendered at 50mp :)

Also, with what format would they actually be able appreciate the resolution?

The only application I could see that sort of resolution being useful is for serious cropping, such as wildlife, as long as your technique and lens can take advantage of that kind of resolution, which most lenses (even Canon L glass) can't yet fully resolve.

Last edited:
Why not a 5d3 or is it specifically that u wanted the 50 megapixels?
sold my 5d3, wasn't seeing use with using the 1dx, AF is so much faster and just generally a better camera, in so many ways i can't even describe the differences.
The 20 + MP of the 5/6d is more than anyone would need.

Ultra + res for weddings is counter productive, think portraiture, a lot of people might not want every blemish or wrinkle sharply rendered at 50mp :)

Also, with what format would they actually be able appreciate the resolution?

The only application I could see that sort of resolution being useful is for serious cropping, such as wildlife, as long as your technique and lens can take advantage of that kind of resolution, which most lenses (even Canon L glass) can't yet fully resolve.
Wildlife with my 800mm would be useful, and i am mostly a nature photographer. As for the modelling front, i'm not so sure, i could always downsize the image but then you lose the advantage of the resolution, i just thought it would be a good way of making use of all the power of the lenses and getting the best quality shots. Pretty sure even my 800mm can only resolve around 38mpx of the sensor, lol.

sold my 5d3, wasn't seeing use with using the 1dx, AF is so much faster and just generally a better camera, in so many ways i can't even describe the differences.

QUOTE]

the 5ds and 5dsr use the same af system dude................[/

the 5ds and 5dsr use the same af system dude................[/

Well the 5dsr is a good bit slower than the 1dx the high res also tends to need a faster shutter speed too ,Im just waiting to see how the 1dxmkII works Iv seen a few shots now that make me interested even though at first I did not see it as much of an upgrade for stills .

Rob.

I can't see much reason to upgrade to the mark II, someone give me a good reason to justify the cost. A few more megapixels, and a bit of a sensor improvement? no thanks. Not for 5k, anyway.

I don't think its a case of justifying the cost its more if you can afford it and will it give a better hit rate on shots ,if your photographing still shots then a 6d will be just as good but for Birds my main interest were I go out sometimes sat half in a ditch cold and wet waiting for an owl I want every bit of help I can get .
So even though its a small upgrade If it performs better I want it .

Rob.

I can't see much reason to upgrade to the mark II, someone give me a good reason to justify the cost. A few more megapixels, and a bit of a sensor improvement? no thanks. Not for 5k, anyway.

Depends what you do.... Better dr.... Better low base iso....faster af....faster fps....f8 autofocus...illuminated points....better noise/iso.... 4K video.... Quite a bit let's be honest

Depends what you do.... Better dr.... Better low base iso....faster af....faster fps....f8 autofocus...illuminated points....better noise/iso.... 4K video.... Quite a bit let's be honest
If one cannot achieve amaznig images with the current equipment i'd be surprised. I mean let's face it look how much of an upgrade the 1DX was over the flagship at the time, 1D4. I don't see that massive improvement, more incremental. My 1DX does more than enough on that front, I find it fine for using it up to ISO6400 for birds (if light's worse than that I'm probably not going to be want to be shooting anyway), and even sports shots up to 12800.
The speed of the current 1dX is phenomenal anyway and 4k video sadly doesn't interest me but i can imagine filmmakers being happy with that!
I know i seem critical but i am a little disappointed i suppose! Maybe I will await for it to drop in price and wait to see what people think hands on, unless stuff has already been posted.
I will be happy if AF points ARE more spread across the viewfinders, that is my only gripe with the 1DX to be totally honest.
I try to think from a practical perspective as I shoot a lot of nature/wildlife and important sports events and the current 1DX I have never known a body so perfectly suited for it.

Back OT
Would the 5DSR be a good body for wildlife where the subject is static and distant? my thoughts are it would be combined with my 800mm f5.6 ! I currently use my 1DX and while it's brill the 1.3 and 1.6 crop modes do intrigue me and obviously light dependant as well.

I didn't take my 5dsr birding etc when I had it :-( so cant comment the fps is obv a lot slower than 1dx though :-(..... why not get a 7d2 until the next 5d is announced at the moment we are in a bit of unknown territory with whats coming

I didn't take my 5dsr birding etc when I had it :-( so cant comment the fps is obv a lot slower than 1dx though :-(..... why not get a 7d2 until the next 5d is announced at the moment we are in a bit of unknown territory with whats coming
Aww lol
Are canon intending on making an equivalent quick 'upgrade' to their high mpx bodies like nikon and the 810?
The 1DX I'd use where action is needed, like for ex my sports events, and the 5DSR for times with wildlife where they are distant and I need as much 'reach' as i can get, obviously light permitting, like when i chase rarities. Thoughts?
you think canon will release or announce a new 5d body soon?

yep pretty sure 5dx etc will be summer......... or before

5DX ?!
yep pretty sure 5dx etc will be summer......... or before

Taken from canonrumors
"
We knew well in advance that the EOS-1D X Mark II was coming, and knew after that announcement that we’d get the EOS 80D. What’s coming next is currently unknown. Which tells us, there is nothing on the immediate horizon.

The next big show will be NAB 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada starting on April 16, and we expect a few Cinema EOS announcements, but not a DSLR announcement.

We know that the replacement for the EOS 5D Mark III is likely the most highly anticipated Canon imaging product. We don’t think Photokina in September is when the camera will be announced either. We think that show will be used by Canon to show off their new EOS M line of products and perhaps the EOS 6D Mark II. We also don’t think that the EOS 6D Mark II will be announced before an EOS 5D Mark III replacement.

This leaves us with part of April, May and June for an announcement. Nothing ever happens in July and August as far as major product announcements. We are hearing nothing concrete about any other DSLR outside of what has been recently announced.

Going back to NAB, if they do decide to announce a DSLR for that show, it has to shoot 4K video or the poor folks at the Canon booth will be in for a very long week

Read more: http://www.canonrumors.com/the-next-dslr-from-canon-will-be-2/#ixzz42D19sig3"

That statement contradicts itself. It says that they don't think that the 5D3 replacement will be announced in September but that the 6D MkII might be. It then says that the 6D MkII won't be announced before the 5D3 replacement which suggests they the 5D3 replacement could come sooner.

Anyway I know someone who has a friend who beta tests for Canon and they have the 5D3 replacement on test and have had for a little while.

That statement contradicts itself. It says that they don't think that the 5D3 replacement will be announced in September but that the 6D MkII might be. It then says that the 6D MkII won't be announced before the 5D3 replacement which suggests they the 5D3 replacement could come sooner.

Anyway I know someone who has a friend who beta tests for Canon and they have the 5D3 replacement on test and have had for a little while.
Interesting! how are they finding it? what is the megapixel count and how does it differ to the 5D3?

That'll be NDA then or we'd all know by now.
Well if someone's going to post a statement like that, then people will be curious and ask. Doesn't have to disclose too much information, no more than Canon Rumors gets anyway I imagine!
Share if you know something or say nothing is what i say otherwise it adds nothing to the conversation but unknowns and baseless speculation if you can't back it up.
If it was really NDA, then he wouldn't have shared it with his friend in the first place.

Last edited:
Well if someone's going to post a statement like that, then people will be curious and ask. Doesn't have to disclose too much information, no more than Canon Rumors gets anyway I imagine!
Share if you know something or say nothing is what i say otherwise it adds nothing to the conversation but unknowns.

It did add something, we know its in testing, via another source. These rumour companies just pretty much guess till the cameras almost on our doorsteps anyway and then its probably the manufacturer leaking the info to generate hype anyway. I think we can all play the guessing game as to what the specs will be based on the 1DXii.

It did add something, we know its in testing, via another source. These rumour companies just pretty much guess till the cameras almost on our doorsteps anyway and then its probably the manufacturer leaking the info to generate hype anyway. I think we can all play the guessing game as to what the specs will be based on the 1DXii.
I guess so, but we could all say we have a mate that's testing it , how do we know this to be true? we don't as we have no source, not information regarding the camera, so to me it doesn't add anything. CanonRumors would have it if that was the case. I am excited to see what they'll come up with, but I don't imagine the camera will be announced until next year. There was a timeline i saw somewhere showing the history and the likelihood of when it'd be announced and it pointed to next year.

I guess so, but we could all say we have a mate that's testing it , how do we know this to be true? we don't as we have no source, not information regarding the camera, so to me it doesn't add anything. CanonRumors would have it if that was the case. I am excited to see what they'll come up with, but I don't imagine the camera will be announced until next year. There was a timeline i saw somewhere showing the history and the likelihood of when it'd be announced and it pointed to next year.

I didn't say that I had a mate testing it. The person who told me is not the sort of individual to make it up to make themselves look good and I certainly can't be bothered making up stuff like that.

I can tell you no more than this. The person who told me shoots with a 5D3 and said that the replacement looks good. I didn't ask what else they knew about it as it wouldn't seem fair.

Why would Canon rumours have that info. I don't follow it religiously but I can't recall them saying that Andy Rouse had been beta testing the 1DX MkII. I didn't know who was doing the testing but I knew it was being tested a few months ago, again from a conversation with someone. Turned out to be true.

Quite honestly Graeme after reading the first line of your reply if I did know anything I wouldn't post it now.

I didn't say that I had a mate testing it. The person who told me is not the sort of individual to make it up to make themselves look good and I certainly can't be bothered making up stuff like that.

I can tell you no more than this. The person who told me shoots with a 5D3 and said that the replacement looks good. I didn't ask what else they knew about it as it wouldn't seem fair.

Why would Canon rumours have that info. I don't follow it religiously but I can't recall them saying that Andy Rouse had been beta testing the 1DX MkII. I didn't know who was doing the testing but I knew it was being tested a few months ago, again from a conversation with someone. Turned out to be true.

Quite honestly Graeme after reading the first line of your reply if I did know anything I wouldn't post it now.
Apologies, reading it back my comments were generalised, and I made the assumption you weren't sharing the info, and I shouldn't have done that. I guess from my own experiences with birders and the nature community makes me quite cynical in that regard and I shouldn't have made that judgement of you or brought that in in a broader sense and been more mindful, so I sincerely apologise for that. So in short, sorry if I came across as a dick. I'll reign my neck in.
Sounds promising anyway from what you are saying! :)

Last edited:
After many years in the press nobody dare mention an nda if they are under it ;-)

Back