canon 60d and tamron 17-50 vc fell of tripod

Name
bleddyn
Edit My Images
Yes
i went to margam park in south wales yesterday with taff63 off here.the day started great taking pics of the big house in the sunshine.so after an hour we decided to go somewhere else in the park so i picked up my tripod with the camera still attached and they just fell off the tripod landing on the path but as the camera bounced i managed to deflect the camera and lens on to the grass.

i was gutted felt sick and i was not looking forward to picking the camera back up off the floor.
after a bit of effing and blinding i picked it up to asses the damage the camera looked ok at an inital glance the memory card slot door had popped open but i only found one scuff right behind the hotshoe mount and veiwfinder eyepiece so i was pleased with that considering what had happened.
now it was the lens turn for a look over and it was clear the zoom ring was out of line by around 3mm and it wouldnt autofocus and the vc had stopped working luckiley i had the hood on
well there wasnt a lot i could do now so we decided to find the dear then i could stick my sigma 150-500 and see if the camera was still working ok.on the way to the dear i was messing with the 17-50 and i managed to get the focus ring back in line and the auto focus now works but there is no vc and the lens now feels notchy and i now need to test the lens and camera to see if they both work tidy when i can bring myself to check them

anyhow photography wise i realy didnt feel like it for the rest of the day but i had a laugh with taff63 in the glorius sunshine and i did manage a couple of decent shots before the accident.

i couldnt believe this happened i have seen loads of photographers carrying tripods with heavier cameras and lens combos over there shoulders and they seem fine.i dont think i will ever use the tripod and head again in fact i cant believe i didnt lob it in the lake.

bleddyn

i went to margam park in south wales yesterday with taff63 off here.the day started great taking pics of the big house in the sunshine.so after an hour we decided to go somewhere else in the park so i picked up my tripod with the camera still attached and they just fell off the tripod landing on the path but as the camera bounced i managed to deflect the camera and lens on to the grass.

i was gutted felt sick and i was not looking forward to picking the camera back up off the floor.
after a bit of effing and blinding i picked it up to asses the damage the camera looked ok at an inital glance the memory card slot door had popped open but i only found one scuff right behind the hotshoe mount and veiwfinder eyepiece so i was pleased with that considering what had happened.
now it was the lens turn for a look over and it was clear the zoom ring was out of line by around 3mm and it wouldnt autofocus and the vc had stopped working luckiley i had the hood on
well there wasnt a lot i could do now so we decided to find the dear then i could stick my sigma 150-500 and see if the camera was still working ok.on the way to the dear i was messing with the 17-50 and i managed to get the focus ring back in line and the auto focus now works but there is no vc and the lens now feels notchy and i now need to test the lens and camera to see if they both work tidy when i can bring myself to check them

anyhow photography wise i realy didnt feel like it for the rest of the day but i had a laugh with taff63 in the glorius sunshine and i did manage a couple of decent shots before the accident.

i couldnt believe this happened i have seen loads of photographers carrying tripods with heavier cameras and lens combos over there shoulders and they seem fine.i dont think i will ever use the tripod and head again in fact i cant believe i didnt lob it in the lake.

bleddyn

Oh dear sorry to hear that bleddyn. Hope you sort out the 17-50. Glad the camera is ok. Now onto the tripod. Maybe invest in a better head. The red snapper legs are amazing. If I remember its this one it's only rated for 2kg.

http://www.redsnapperuk.com/camera-accessories/RSH-24_3-Way_Panning_Head.html

This is the one I have it's so sturdy rated for 10kg :)

http://www.redsnapperuk.com/camera-accessories/RSH-12_Ball_head.html#nogo

Last edited:
i aint investing money in anything else mate to be honest with you i dont even know if the camera is ok yet and.the vc on the lens is definatley not working and im not sure if the focus is accurate either i was going to try it out today but never got it out the bag.i will try it one day when my anger has subsided.

i know the tripod head is only rated at 2kg but the camera and lens are nowhere near that weight sureley it shouldnt just fall off.i might shoot the tripod manufacture a email two see what they say.

if the camera is damaged thats the end of photography for me:(

bleddyn

well i decided to try the tamron 17-50 vc today as the weather was nice and i havent tried it properley since it fell off the tripod.well i hadnt taken a shot and i dropped the camera and lens again:bang::bang::bang::bang:.lucky it landed on grass this time no further cosmetic damage to camera or lens but i didnt know if it would work so i shot a couple of shots and it all still works but its pretty soft at f/2.8 i will have to try it on the tripod tommorow.and the funniest thing is the vc stopped working the first time it fell but after it fell today it seems to work a little bit not perfect so im going to send it off to get it all checked out

heres one from after it fell

anybody know what bike it is

019 by bledd125, on Flickr

bleddyn

i know the tripod head is only rated at 2kg but the camera and lens are nowhere near that weight sureley it shouldnt just fall off.i might shoot the tripod manufacture a email two see what they say.

The camera and lens are probably 1.3-1.4kg, the additional force of swinging it on the tripod would cause extra force to be exerted and if it is a lightweight tripod (what make/model was it?) I could see it being enough stress to cause separation.

I wouldn't think carrying it around connected to a lightweight tripod would ever be a good idea (I know, hindsight, and all that :shake:).

i know mate the strap is still in the box unopened.in fact i think i will get it out and put it on now.

bleddyn

The camera and lens are probably 1.3-1.4kg, the additional force of swinging it on the tripod would cause extra force to be exerted and if it is a lightweight tripod (what make/model was it?) I could see it being enough stress to cause separation.

I wouldn't think carrying it around connected to a lightweight tripod would ever be a good idea (I know, hindsight, and all that :shake:).

the first time it fell was from the tripod it was a redsnapper one with a basic 3 way head thats rated for 2kg.i picked the tripod up and leant the camera forward walked about 20 yards and it just diconnected and hit the deck.today i was getting the camera out of the bag and i just dropped it by accident:bonk::bonk::bonk:.

bleddyn

the first time it fell was from the tripod it was a redsnapper one with a basic 3 way head thats rated for 2kg.i picked the tripod up and leant the camera forward walked about 20 yards and it just diconnected and hit the deck.today i was getting the camera out of the bag and i just dropped it by accident:bonk::bonk::bonk:.

bleddyn

Swinging almost 1.5kg around on a 2kg max tripod was always going to be dangerous, I suppose your example of seeing others doing it was probably people with heavy duty tripods (someone else mentioned having a tripod rated for 10kg).

An example of what you did is as if you used a single thread of cotton as a strap because you've seen others using a camera strap to carry their camera.

It might hold for a while, but any extra force and snap....

How did it just fall off the tripod?

I don't see anywhere you say something snapped or broke on the tripod, did it?

How did it just fall off the tripod?

I don't see anywhere you say something snapped or broke on the tripod, did it?

It was a £15 head if the previous link was correct, with a plastic quick release plate. Swinging the tripod with the camera still attached probably caused camera, lens and QR plate to disengage.

RSH_24_3_way_head_zoom.jpg

i thought the tripod head had a rating of 5kilos but i was wrong very wrong. when i got home from the trpod accident i attached the camera to the tripod the locking arm clicked into place but i could move the quick release plate quite a bit in either direction and lift the camera of the tripod when it wasnt lined up correctley fair play tp joe at redsnapper he sent me a ballhead free of charge.

ive learnt my lesson now it wont happen again

bleddyn

i thought the tripod head had a rating of 5kilos but i was wrong very wrong. when i got home from the trpod accident i attached the camera to the tripod the locking arm clicked into place but i could move the quick release plate quite a bit in either direction and lift the camera of the tripod when it wasnt lined up correctley fair play tp joe at redsnapper he sent me a ballhead free of charge.

bleddyn

yes indeed i have one of those heads came with the tripod i also got the RSH-12 Ball Head. the only head i trust my £1100 camera plus lens on is the ball head. the only use that the cheap one has is putting my 430ex off cam on

bleddyn

Good idea, I don't think it's ever worth trusting a QR plate enough to risk swinging the camera around connected to the tripod.

Use the quick release, hang the camera around your neck and carry the empty tripod over your shoulder. Much more sensible ;).

:LOL:
Swinging almost 1.5kg around on a 2kg max tripod was always going to be dangerous, I suppose your example of seeing others doing it was probably people with heavy duty tripods (someone else mentioned having a tripod rated for 10kg).

An example of what you did is as if you used a single thread of cotton as a strap because you've seen others using a camera strap to carry their camera.

It might hold for a while, but any extra force and snap....

yes the RSH-12 head i use is rated for 10kg and the redsnapper legs are rated for 8kg. i have no combo that exceeds that weight. but i prefer to be safe than sorry. quick release are the work of the devil :LOL:

Thanks
Rob

Last edited:
It was a £15 head if the previous link was correct, with a plastic quick release plate. Swinging the tripod with the camera still attached probably caused camera, lens and QR plate to disengage.

RSH_24_3_way_head_zoom.jpg

thats the one that quick release plate as it is in that picture without camera i couldnt move with my hand but with the camera attatched i could mov ot quite a bit.

bleddyn

Sorry to hear about the lens, get it off for a checkup, and claim on the insurance if it's worth doing so.

Still not the worst thing I've seen at Margam though, I have photo's of Carlos Sainzs car stopped by the lake, yards from the finish line of Rally GB, cost him the World Championship.

According to the DVLA website it is a 1450cc Harley Davidson manufactured in 2002, or at least thats what it was prior to the custom work.

Just noticed the other image on Flickr. To be precise, it's a Harley Davidson FLSTFI 1450 Fatboy.

I'm of of those folk you would see carrying the camera around on the tripod. I do it all the time.

However, when doing so I also have the camera strap wrapped around something too. Usually either my arm around the tripod for short trips or if I'm walking more than about 5 minutes I'll loop round my neck.

Didn't used to, had a near miss. And since I find the supplied strap woefully unpleasant in every way I bought a different one that is comfortable.

Back