Canon 60D or Nikon D7000

Name
Donna
Edit My Images
Yes
I know this is asked all the time, but really want your advice. Yes, it has a lot to do with the special offer of the 60D+17-55 lens...

I think the 7D is too large for me, so hence am looking at a smaller camera. I have a 450D at the moment and was hoping for a decent upgrade that is going to last for a few years (spec wise).

I do have some Canon lenses, but if I was going to make the change to Nikon, now is the time.

I like shooting street photography, with a bit of landscape and kids.

if it's the tesco deal with the 60d and 17-55mm then you can forget it as it was a misprice and people have had cancelation emails ...have a look at hotukdeals. nikon d7000 is fab , had it briefly before moving over to the pentax k-5

It's a difficult one as the D7000 does have a few advantages.
The D7000 has a metal body, a slightly superior sensor (shadow dynamic range and ISO performance), more sophisticated AF, dual card slots etc.
But the 60D has a control layout more like you're used to and should still be a great upgrade from the 450D, plus you can keep whatever lens investment you've already got.

Have you tried handling the D7000 and 60D? you may love or hate the D7000 after shooting canon for a while.

What lenses do you have? Might be worth checking the nikon lens range, they don't have equivalents to a few nice canon lenses (like the 70-200 f/4L), but they also have a few gems of their own like the 35mm f/1.8 DX

Last edited:
I tried handling both these on the weekend, and yes, the 60D felt much more familiar to what I am used to. I didn't like the Nikon feel initially but they let me hold it for quite a while and I spose I would get used to it. I was looking at the 7D, but felt it was too big for me, and probably a bit on the high price also.

I have a 15-85 (which is currently in for calibration/repair), 50 1.8 and was looking at getting the new Tamron 70-300.

I am only taking photos for enjoyment, but have got to the stage that I want more IQ to what I am currently getting.

I dont' think either the 60D nor the D7000 will greatly improve image quality (unless you're printing massive or very heavily cropping). Image quality is mostly defined by the lens and your technique and post process skills.
What they will improve on is noise at higher ISO (a bit more so and with more dynamic range in the case of the D7000) and usability, with more external controls and larger viewfinders etc.

The 15-85 and 50mm f/1.8 are both great lenses within their class, and I don't think their nikon equivalents are better at all.

Unless you're shooting really fast moving stuff where the D7000's AF might come in handy, or shooting stuff where you need to plus shadows up by 4 stops, the 60D should suit you nicely.

On a side note, have you considered the 70-200 f/4L instead of the tamron 70-300? The f/4L can't be beat from image quality in this price bracket.

squishy said:
On a side note, have you considered the 70-200 f/4L instead of the tamron 70-300? The f/4L can't be beat from image quality in this price bracket.

I was looking at the 70-200 but saw a recent review in PhotoPlus and the Tamron came out as the 'best on test', but I am open to opinions on this...

I am really interested to hear that the 60D may not be an enough of an upgrade to warrant a purchase, so I may look at lenses instead. Is this the general opinion?

Back