canon 60d owners thread

From the Canon website

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Cons...x?DLtcmuri=tcm:14-937139&page=1&type=download

Description
Changes Firmware Version 1.1.1 incorporates the following fixes. 1. Fixes a phenomenon where the camera's serial number that is displayed in the shooting information of the image does not display the correct serial number. *1) 2. Corrects errors in the Greek, Italian, and Portuguese menu screens.
*1) If the camera's serial number is 2147483648 or higher and the camera firmware is Version 1.1.0 or earlier, the images captured with the camera will be affected by the phenomenon listed in 1. above. This phenomenon only affects the EOS 60D, and does not affect the EOS 60Da. Both of these cameras are equipped with the same firmware. To obtain the serial number correctly in the shooting information of images that are already captured using the old firmware, we are preparing updates for Digital Photo Professional and ZoomBrowser EX / ImageBrowser applications. Once the software updates are ready, we will make an announcement on our Web site.
Firmware Version 1.1.1 is for cameras with Firmware Version 1.1.0. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.1.1, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

brad28 said:
Going to hold off for a while on that, just incase there are any bugs. if there's no noticeable difference I wonder what's different!

I think that's fair - the only reason I updated was that Magic Lantern needs the newer version of the firmware and I wanted to try it out.

dubzter said:
I haven't tried magic lantern yet, is it easy to use? Does it have an intervalometer?

It's fairly easy to use, it sort of puts a layer over the top of the Canon system that introduces loads of new functionality, including an intervalometer. I wanted it for focus peaking when shooting video which works pretty well. Overall I think that if there is something it does that you are interested in then it is well worth trying.

Last edited:
I like so many others have also upgraded from the 450d. Better ISO and feels a lot more substantial to hold and grip.

I haven't tried magic lantern yet, is it easy to use? Does it have an intervalometer?
i got and been using the 1.1.0 magic lantern and its rocks it dont affect your cam perm just turn the cam off and remove the card with ML on it and your cam go back to the normal system and for your question think it dose this what ml had to say
Magic lantern said:
Timelapse: intervalometer (for photos and movies), silent pictures without shutter actuation.

Going to hold off for a while on that, just incase there are any bugs. if there's no noticeable difference I wonder what's different!

From the Canon website

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Cons...x?DLtcmuri=tcm:14-937139&page=1&type=download

Description
Changes Firmware Version 1.1.1 incorporates the following fixes. 1. Fixes a phenomenon where the camera's serial number that is displayed in the shooting information of the image does not display the correct serial number. *1) 2. Corrects errors in the Greek, Italian, and Portuguese menu screens.
*1) If the camera's serial number is 2147483648 or higher and the camera firmware is Version 1.1.0 or earlier, the images captured with the camera will be affected by the phenomenon listed in 1. above. This phenomenon only affects the EOS 60D, and does not affect the EOS 60Da. Both of these cameras are equipped with the same firmware. To obtain the serial number correctly in the shooting information of images that are already captured using the old firmware, we are preparing updates for Digital Photo Professional and ZoomBrowser EX / ImageBrowser applications. Once the software updates are ready, we will make an announcement on our Web site.
Firmware Version 1.1.1 is for cameras with Firmware Version 1.1.0. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.1.1, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

Just checked my camera and some images I've taken and sure enough the serial number in the exif is different from the number on the base of the camera, gonna update asap.

I bought one reconditioned from canon uk on ebay its a great camera and i find it very easy to get to grips with as an upgrade from my old pentax k20d. My only problem has been a focusing issue and its curently away back to canon for repair/recalibration, cant wait to get it back.

Hi folks,

Been lurking for a while and mulling the options... I'm really interested now in getting myself a 60D teamed up with the 18-135 lens. I have to wait patiently though but hopefully in the early parts of 2013 I'll be able to get one!

I really rate the 18-135. You'll love the weighty feel of the 60D too. I took mine along to a work xmas do last night and I think about 3 people are now going to buy one on the strength of the photos I produced. Dark restaurant, no flash, nifty 50 set to F2.8. Great!

Hi there Justin. Whereabouts in Leics are you, I'm in Fleckney with a 60D!

It's a cracking camera and I'm sure you will enjoy using it:).
Andy

No kidding! I'm in Kibworth, what a small world indeed. :cool:

I am excited to be able to get my hands on another body, I'm out of practice but hopefully in time I'll be able to pick it up and learn a whole lot more!

Wood.Justin said:
No kidding! I'm in Kibworth, what a small world indeed. :cool:

I am excited to be able to get my hands on another body, I'm out of practice but hopefully in time I'll be able to pick it up and learn a whole lot more!

Lol 2.5 miles away!!

You will pick it up very quickly. Give me a shout if you have any problems.

Andy

Lol 2.5 miles away!!

You will pick it up very quickly. Give me a shout if you have any problems.

Andy

Never did I expect someone to live the next village over on this site!

I certainly will, thanks Andy! :D

It's been beautiful today, unfortunately I never managed to get outside today though!

Cheers,
Justin.

Wood.Justin said:
Never did I expect someone to live the next village over on this site!

I certainly will, thanks Andy! :D

It's been beautiful today, unfortunately I never managed to get outside today though!

Cheers,
Justin.

Yes but very windy!

It's a very small world. For example in 2002 my wife and I went to the Maldives. We stayed on an island that had 22 bungalows but only half were occupied the first week so about 22 guests. Well one couple were on their honeymoon and the groom worked with my brother!! Unbekievable!!

Andy

Yes but very windy!

It's a very small world. For example in 2002 my wife and I went to the Maldives. We stayed on an island that had 22 bungalows but only half were occupied the first week so about 22 guests. Well one couple were on their honeymoon and the groom worked with my brother!! Unbekievable!!

Andy

Of all the places and what an interesting link to you and your wife. I guess in the grand scheme of things the probability isn't as wide as one would imagine. :LOL:

I am placing the 60D order tonight, as soon as my partner is back from Paris with my plastic, watch this space!

Wood.Justin said:
Of all the places and what an interesting link to you and your wife. I guess in the grand scheme of things the probability isn't as wide as one would imagine. :LOL:

I am placing the 60D order tonight, as soon as my partner is back from Paris with my plastic, watch this space!

Where are you ordering from Justin?

Andy

There was a recon with 18-135 on ebay the other day for around £550 with a years warranty from canon outlet not sure if its still there though

Had a looky for that, can't find it! Does Canon have a specific eBay user ID?

Think they are called canon outlet if you search referb canon you should find them it could be canon uk though i can check when i get home but that wont be till around 10

I found them! Thank you mate. (y)

Hey guys. Sorry to but in, I spend a lot of time around Leicester, Coventry and Northampton with my work. Can you recommend anywhere for wildlife, nature shots. Thanks

Hey guys. Sorry to but in, I spend a lot of time around Leicester, Coventry and Northampton with my work. Can you recommend anywhere for wildlife, nature shots. Thanks

Hi Chris,

I'm not so familiar with local knowledge having only lived in The Midlands for 2 years myself.

Bradgate Park is rather quite good, you can take photos of Deer roaming and it's also quite pretty.

Beacon Hill is definitely worth the visit, it's views are quite something to be honest with you.

Foxton Locks is worth the visit, it's nice to walk around and capture the scenery.

Rutland Water is very good, it's massive and lots to see as well.

Not sure if Andy has any other places to recommend!

Cheers,
Justin :D

Justin has just about covered it. You can always try the many reservoirs that are around, your best bet is to arm yourself with a map and/or Google your local area.

There are also some bird sanctuaries like the one near to Desford.

Andy

Justin has just about covered it. You can always try the many reservoirs that are around, your best bet is to arm yourself with a map and/or Google your local area.

There are also some bird sanctuaries like the one near to Desford.

Andy

Oh yes the Tropical Bird place, we ventured there during the summer there is potential for some good close ups there. (y)

I agree with Andy, definitely Google/Maps are your friend. Feel free to PM if you need any advice.

Well I got my 60D yesterday and I love it!!! Went up on to Dartmoor with my 70 - 200 lens on and took some quite good pics :) Love the chunky feel of it. I have PSE 7 on my laptop and I have discovered I can't upload pics if I have shot in RAW but can if I have it set on RAW and JPEG, I seem to remember reading something about this on here somewhere. Is there a solution to this problem or will I need to get a newer version of photoshop? Need to read my manual from cover to cover but due to hysterical excitement wasn't able to do this yesterday!!!!!! Torrential rain today so will start reading now :)

You can do in camera conversion from RAW to JPG. Look in the settings

Thanks guys, just reading the manual so shall look for the intructions :)

Finally got around to ordering this camera and it should be with me tomorrow. I had to settle for the single lens(18-55) and order from amazon though because I had nothing but grief from trying to order a double lens kit with Panamoz. I tried 3 times and failed and the bank were never off the phone making calls about fraud prevention so I just gave up and decided to order the single lens & will buy a longer zoom when the sales start after christmas.

Its my first dslr so should be quite a learning curve compared to my powershot sx20is but I've been doing lots of reading about this camera so am expecting better pics with this new camera compared to my sx20is once I get the hang of things.

Finally got around to ordering this camera and it should be with me tomorrow. I had to settle for the single lens(18-55) and order from amazon though because I had nothing but grief from trying to order a double lens kit with Panamoz. I tried 3 times and failed and the bank were never off the phone making calls about fraud prevention so I just gave up and decided to order the single lens & will buy a longer zoom when the sales start after christmas.

Its my first dslr so should be quite a learning curve compared to my powershot sx20is but I've been doing lots of reading about this camera so am expecting better pics with this new camera compared to my sx20is once I get the hang of things.

There's no rush. Just start snapping away. I find it quite good to watch youtube videos too and always try and learn new techniques to put into practice. It's a hobby after all.

So, I have finally got around to saving some pennies :)

Im stuck between 60D and the 650 though.

Initially I will be buying with the kit lens but hopefully in a few months be able to upgrade.

Any advice at all would be great. At the min I am leaning more towards the 60D

ElCapone said:
So, I have finally got around to saving some pennies :)

Im stuck between 60D and the 650 though.

Initially I will be buying with the kit lens but hopefully in a few months be able to upgrade.

Any advice at all would be great. At the min I am leaning more towards the 60D

I watched a YouTube review video and it swayed towards the 650D especially with the new touch screen.

How happy are you with your 60D Brad? How long have you had it? Have you had any problems with it?

At first I imagine I will be taking photos of almost anything but my main use will be taking pictures of my kids. I will also like to get in to landscape photography and do some macro work eventually.

I was thinking the 60D and then buying the 15-85mm lens in a few months time and possibly the 70-200L lens further down the line.

I got my 60D with standard 18-55 lens which went straight up for sale. I wish I'd got the 18-135 kit which I currently use allot as an all rounder and it produces great shots.

For landscapes i would strongly recommend the 10-22 Lens as it produces fantastic wide angle shots.

The 60D itself is a great camera and for once in my life I don't want to upgrade !!
I like the controls (apart from the awkwardly placed delete button). The screen is useful when taking pictures, I also tend to rotate the screen so the glass is covered facing the body so when I put my face to the viewfinder, I don't get the screen all messy with my face on it.
I've had a fair few good pictures with it.
I like the size and weight :- not too big, but very comfortable to hold.

I'd rate it as a camera. I don't think you'd be disappointed.
The reason why i mentioned the 650D review on YouTube is because I'm no expert, I like playing with my camera trying to get nice effective shots!

Have you held either of them? There is a totally different feel. I think if you got the 650D you'd always be a little bit disappointed.

Also, I'd say very important is a speed light. I just got the EX430 II and I absolutely love it. Totally transforms your indoor photography.

chimpsinties said:
Have you held either of them? There is a totally different feel. I think if you got the 650D you'd always be a little bit disappointed.

Also, I'd say very important is a speed light. I just got the EX430 II and I absolutely love it. Totally transforms your indoor photography.

I have the 430EX I on my 60D aswell.

Back