canon 60d owners thread

to be honest the 150-500 is superb, the only benifit at all I see of the 50-500mm is the extra 100mm down low, its wether that is worth the extra money.

If i went back again, I probably would of gone for the extra but the 150-500mm is absolutely stunning lens.

Just do a search for both lens, they both capture superb detail

I had the 150-500 and it was superb but, sometimes, the 150 was too long so I sold it and got the 50-500 instead. I haven't regretted the change for a moment: the extra 100 at the short end is well worthwhile and the results I get from the lens are excellent.

after years of using a 170-500 I went to the 50-500 principally because with my short lens being a 17-50 I was also having to carry my 70-200 to cover all focal lengths

and that's a heavy baby

60D is Just £409 delivered now and the price looks like it's on the downward spiral pending the 70D and for the money it's a fantastic camera reading all the reviews and just as good as the 7D PQ without the pro controls.

to be honest its just as good as the 7d without the af and the 19points, the controls are still "pro" type.

Just a 8way pad as opposed to a joystick, its a fast camera.

on a 60D you'd be better off with 17-55 because 24 will be a bid narrow for wide angled shots

but if you are thinking of upgrading to FF any time soon, get the 24-70 because the 17-55 is dx only

on a 60D you'd be better off with 17-55 because 24 will be a bid narrow for wide angled shots

but if you are thinking of upgrading to FF any time soon, get the 24-70 because the 17-55 is dx only

Thanks mate, no only just bought the 60D :)

tamron 17-50 f2.8 is also an option if you want a cheaper alternative

The Tamron looks a good option and priced reasonably well.

is it the Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD IF ?

B005 (VC)
A16 (non-vc)

Last edited:
yep - I got mine from the classified on here (non VC model)

I just want to sing the praises of E-Global digital as my 60D arrived this morning 10am and considering I only ordered it yesterday and it was coming from HK there service is second to none and was all online tracked from when it was collected all the way to UK out for delivery, unbelievable Service highly recommended indeed.

All I have to do now is get taking some shots with it but before that I need to learn the camera first but I am sure I will get to know my way around it in no time.

Got mine as a second body for a wedding, and I'll probably keep it after that. I love it. Thought about getting a second hand 7D but they both have the same sensor and I'm not all that fussed about the processor speed anyways so seemed like a bit of a bargain.

I'm still amazed how quick it arrived 1 day from when I ordered and not forgetting it would have been in the air for at least 12 hours of that day.

I was also surprised with the quality and the feel of the camera the grip is well nice to hold and the rubber grips are very good.

Do I need to charge the battery before I use it or do they come charged.

Nice, can't say fairer than that for delivery!

This little one runs or hops around the garden daily at ours

Decided to pick up a 40mm 2.8 pancake from DV as they are under £100 at the moment.

Is there a code for DR as the price shows £103 at the moment for me.

Thanks Mark for the reply and I am seriously tempted as looking at the MTU values it scores pretty high for not much money.

Thanks Mark for the reply and I am seriously tempted as looking at the MTU values it scores pretty high for not much money.

No problem, hopefully I should have the lens by the weekend, I'll try and post up some pics. But yeah it's supposed to be a good little lens for the money. Might compare it with the cheap plastic fantastic 50 1.8.

Well I'm the proud new owner of a 60d and can't wait for it to be delivered tomorrow. Just out of curiosity, I understand they are weatherproof but was wondering as to what extent they are weatherproof ( very light rain, a moderate shower ).

It's a great lens and very sharp. I use it on my 5d2 and 60D and it's great on both bodies. Coupled with the 60D it's a great lens for walkabouts.

Well I'm the proud new owner of a 60d and can't wait for it to be delivered tomorrow. Just out of curiosity, I understand they are weatherproof but was wondering as to what extent they are weatherproof ( very light rain, a moderate shower ).

Mine spent a day in a snow storm (in and out of a bus) in Iceland and survived despite looking like it had been in the shower. And that was with the 17-85 kit lens.

That said, I wouldn't recommend it. My mate (5dmkii) was the same and he wasn't happy about testing it in that way. Just keep it under something waterproof where possible and get a good case in case it rains, I like the Lowepro ones which are pretty waterproof alone and with the extra cover on... well I've been in Scottish weather with that on and it was 100% dry :LOL:

One thing to note, and this is a general SLR point but it didn't affect my mates (more sealed(?))... One time I got back onto the bus and the damn sensor misted so I couldn't take shots for a while. I've seen it since, but only in conditions like Norway (going from -10C (or below) to +20C) or when walking into tropical greenhouses.

Have fun and do your best, but don't be too afraid of rain :)

1st Coupon of the season came in so treated myself to a wee upgrade to a 60d and a Tamron 17-50 f2.8

Trusty 350d is going to the wife.

Should be here tomorrow....canny wait :clap:

I finally sold my 60D on to a good home.
It's been a heart warming revelation :)

It the daughter of some neighbours who has occasionally looked after my cats when I've been away; she's now studying fashion.
She was told by her course to get a 'proper' camera to document her designs instead of using her phone.
And she wants to use it to photograph a Ceilidh this weekend; in my experience those are horrendously tough lighting conditions!
So I threw some training into the deal to give her a fighting chance of getting some keepers.

Putting it mildly, she was both a quick learner and seems to have an eye.
She quickly worked out that the conditions I'd set up to practise in were really tough and that the camera was struggling, and was more than happy when I suggested going to full manual.
Showed her how just the once and then she just got on with it.
Astonishing!

Definitely gone to a good home :)

is she cute ?

Is an upgrade from a 550D to a 60D a good move. Money wise it would be at the top of my budget.

Is an upgrade from a 550D to a 60D a good move. Money wise it would be at the top of my budget.

short version - yes

Slightly longer version , yes , but if money is short you could also look at a second user 50D (or indeed a second hand 60D check out MPB photopgraphic) - the xxD range is a big step up from the xxxD in terms of handling and intuitive control

But i guess the main difference between the 550D and the 60D is how it handles, not IQ?

But i guess the main difference between the 550D and the 60D is how it handles, not IQ?

Yes but there does appear to be subtle differences between all the sensors.

No two sensors will be identical just like no two engines will but as we have seen the 60D "appears" to handle higher iso shots better than a 7D or the others by what we see.

How true it is we don't know as not everyone that owns a 7D isn't on this forum but personally I love the 60D's.

They handle better are faster and built to be used in the work place.

Does anyone use the Magic Lantern Firmware on their 60d?
What are your thoughts on it and is it a worth while addition to the 60d?

I have had the ML firmware on since new with no problems what so ever. it's possibly the tiniest bit slower to wake from power save but other than that you wont know it's there until you use it.

For me the high points are:
  • Focus peeping
  • Focus Zebras
  • Motion detect
  • Auto HDR
  • mirror lock up on self timer only

Highly recommended and I'm just waiting for a final version for the 5D3.
Darren

ML does HDR? That's cool. Will have to look at getting this tonight. I've always had one of my Custom functions set to shoot bracketted exposures and doing the hdr manually in post which is time consuming.

Back