Canon 6D - 24-70 f4/24-105 f4/24-70 f2.8 + 1 prime

JJ!

Edit My Images
No
My good friend at work is now getting a Canon 6D so wasnted to get some opinions/suggestions from you guys.

I also have some interest as I may well be borrowing the kit he gets for a small registry office wedding in a few weeks as after speaking to Nikon my camera is not looking liekely to be back.

General use:

Walk about
Portraits
Some weddings

Options:

24-70 f2.8
24-70 f4 is
24-105 f4 is

Then a nice light walk about prime for low light situations - general options look like the 35mm f2 is or maybe if his budget stretches the 35mm f1.4 or going longer a 50mm f1.4 usm or again depending on budget 50mm f1.2.

Any suggestione/alteernatives welcome, we are going to Park Cameras over bank holiday weekend so I can check out the XT1 too so will look in to any options given whilst there!

I have had a 6D and also 2 of the three lenses you list.

The 24-70 f2.8 is a really good lens but it deserves its nickname the brick. It is really heavy- which may or may not be an issue for your friend.

I have not used the 24-70 f4 but its reputation is that it is not as sharp as the f4 version nor does it have the range of the 24-105.

The 24-105 is a very good lens, perhaps not quite as sharp as the 24-70 f2.8 but obviously it has more reach.

IMHO really sharp lenses are perhaps not the best for portraits as they show every pore and blemish so my advice all things considered would be the 24-105.

Looking at other manufacturers the Tamron 24-70 lens gets great reviews. I sold my 24-105 and kept the Tamron.

As far as primes are concerned the Sigma 35mm Art is my choice - it is one sharp lens and very well built.

I have the Tamron the same as @Grumps1974 and rate it very highly on my 6D. If you were pixel peeping It's not quite as sharp as the 24/70 2.8 II from Canon but beats the original version of the lens and has VC / IS which neither 2.8 Canon does. For the money i have no hesitation in recommending it. The 24/70 f4 from Canon is well regarded and meant to be sharp plus has IS, it's also smaller and lighter than the 2.8 versions. It's just if the f4 is a limitation or not.

And for light and compact prime the 35mm f2 is meant to be excellent, the f1.4 versions stop being light and compact... Consider the 40mm f2.8 stm as well, it's a pancake lens and cheap as chips :)

Last edited:
35 f2 looks pretty good. How is the 85mm f1.8 USM?

I think if he goes primes he will get the 24-70 or 24-105 F4 versions depending on handling

The Tamron 24-70 (certainly in Nikon mount!) is excellent but I've always seen great shots taken with the 24-105L too, which would be my pick if I bought a Canon...
The 35mm f2 also gets incredible reviews given its price, I almost picked one up to use with an adapter when I had a Sony A7ii.

My good friend at work is now getting a Canon 6D so wasnted to get some opinions/suggestions from you guys.

I also have some interest as I may well be borrowing the kit he gets for a small registry office wedding in a few weeks as after speaking to Nikon my camera is not looking liekely to be back.

General use:

Walk about
Portraits
Some weddings

Options:

24-70 f2.8
24-70 f4 is
24-105 f4 is

Then a nice light walk about prime for low light situations - general options look like the 35mm f2 is or maybe if his budget stretches the 35mm f1.4 or going longer a 50mm f1.4 usm or again depending on budget 50mm f1.2.

Any suggestione/alteernatives welcome, we are going to Park Cameras over bank holiday weekend so I can check out the XT1 too so will look in to any options given whilst there!
You want a nice light prime? 40 STM is the one you are looking for. It's fantastic on a 6D. Those two combined and chucked in a little Manfrotto holster are my walkabout setup.

And for light and compact prime the 35mm f2 is meant to be excellent, the f1.4 versions stop being light and compact... Consider the 40mm f2.8 stm as well, it's a pancake lens and cheap as chips :)

You want a nice light prime? 40 STM is the one you are looking for. It's fantastic on a 6D. Those two combined and chucked in a little Manfrotto holster are my walkabout setup.
As above, the 40mm pancake is great. absolutely love mine, made travelling a breeze cos it was so light! Really dig the 40mm focal length as well, just a little wider than "normal" but still tight enough so not everything is tiny in the frame, a nice balance for a walkabout prime lens imo :)

Back