Canon 6D Issue

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got a bit of weird issue with my Canon 6D. Two days ago it refused to work with shutter speeds slower than 1/30. Although it took pictures, it also displayed "Error 30" and the exposure was not correct. This error stands for shutter mechanism problem. I have tried turning on/off, removing and reinstalling the battery, different battery, using several different lenses but the issue was persistent and the error appeared every time when I used anything slower than 1/30. I decided the camera is faulty and contacted the retailer, which advised to send for repair. I have removed the strap, lens, battery and memory card and left it with the idea to pack and send later.

However, just before to start packing, I decided to test again. When I inserted the battery (genuine one), it said "cannot communicate with the battery". I have seen that several times before, so I have cleaned the contacts and eventually it accepted it. And once it started, the Error 30 problem disappeared. I was testing whole evening and it works flawlessly. So now I am not sure whether I should sending it at all. Most probably they won't be able to replicate the issue and being without camera and risking transport is a bit of pointless.

Anyway, the actual question is: Is it possible I was getting "Error 30" because of unreliable battery contacts? What concerns me now is I am not very confident the camera won't let me down another time, when I really need it. In the same time I am not sure sending it for repair without reproducing the problem reliably will help too.

Anyway, the actual question is: Is it possible I was getting "Error 30" because of unreliable battery contacts? What concerns me now is I am not very confident the camera won't let me down another time,

That's the important line, if you've lost confidence then send it away. But, include a letter detailing the problems as you've mentioned above.

What make lens was you using and was it a 3rdparty battery you had in it when the error first occurred. Sometimes, 3rd party accessories can be the cause of such problems I have read and with it being a newish released camera I would most definitely be inclined to send it back anyway just to have it checked over.

I think I'd be speaking to Canon @ Elstree and explaining the problems I've had and see what they suggest, they maybe able to suggest a reason...but I tend to agree with Andy and I think I'd be sending it off as you've lost confidence with it (totally understandably).

I presume it's a UK sourced body...

Hope you get it sorted

Thanks for the reply guys. I am using only genuine batteries. I have one Tamron lens, but everything else is Canon too. I am quite confident it's not the lens or the battery. Today camera is working flawlessly again.

It is a grey import but the retailer told me to send it to authorized Canon service. I guess I will speak with the service first to see what they would recommend. It's true lost of confidence is a problem, but if the issue is not replicable and they cannot do anything there is no point of sending it too. Thanks for the advices though. They were useful.

Back