Canon 6D mkii for landscapes

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
So I'm in a position to change systems back to Canon from Fuji and to go full frame.

The 5D4 is the better sensor by all accounts but the budget doesn't really stretch to that, even used.

So is the 6D2 a good camera for landscapes, I've read that it's dynamic range isn't great.

What do you guys think, and do any of you use the 6D2 for landscapes.

Cheers.
Mark

I have the 6D original. I am answering the question as the sensor performance is very similar. In my opinion it could be used if you are prepared to use graduated filters as I find that shadow recovery is good to about 2 to 3 stops. The main advantage(re landscape shooting) of the 6Dmkii vs the mki is the movable screen at the back for composition. From what I understand the performance of the Fuji sensors is very good probably on par with the 6Dmkii up-to iso 3200. If you know someone who has one of the Canon cameras try it and compare it to your Fuji before switching systems. There is no point lugging extra weight if there is no real world benefit.

Last edited:
Alternatively, if a flip-up screen isn't a deal breaker, why not consider a lightly used original 6D? The image quality is on a par with the 5D Mk III and there have been plenty of good looking landscape shots taken with those. You should be able to find a mint-ish, low shutter-count 6D with good warranty from a reputable dealership for between £600 & £700 (or maybe less). That would probably leave you enough money for a lightly-used 'L' lens compared to what you'd be forking out for a new 6D MkII body on its own; or a good start towards saving up for a lightly-used 5D Mk iv body, which are only going to get cheaper as time goes on. If you don't regularly need extra focus points, a flip out screen or improved video then why spend the extra money on a new 6D II?

Last edited:
I'd like to think the 6D2 would be great for landscapes.
The limitation will more likely be your lens selection.

I can't answer the 6D question but I find that I edit every landscape shot I take. So - poor dynamic range would be less of an issue with landscape photography (filters or bracketing would solve this). I also shoot at base ISO almost all the time. So that would help.
A flippy screen is a definite advantage.

Just to add you can get a grey market 6D brand new for £740 from digital rev. I just got a second hand one for £400 with a. Low count. I’ve owned one before and they are great.

Can't say I'm any good at landscapes but have owned a 6d for over 6 years. I agree with the above comments regarding bracketing shots for the range issue if needed. The original 6d is fab in my opinion so can't see why the mark 2 wouldn't be suitable for you

Gaz

There is a website called pixelpeeper that has hundreds of photos taken with every body and lens going.

Don't take this the wrong way but go and have a look because there will be loads of landscape shots there taken with the 6d mk 1, 6d mk 2 and every other camera you can think of.

As for dynamic range I cant actually tell the difference with my eyes personally between one body and another.

Just my 2p.

I would look at lenses first then decide on a camera that will fit! Personally I love my Canon 24-70 F2.8 Mk2, not because it is F2.8 but because it takes wonderful images on any camera that I have put it on. You may prefer a different focal range or primes that's fine, what is important is that you use the best lenses you can rather than worrying too much about the camera body.

Features like flippy screens etc can be handy but IMO the lens is the key - whatever is left from your budget will cover the camera, hopefully!

I would be more than happy with anything in the 6D range or 5D range with the right lens.

Back