Canon 6D Outer Focus Points

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon all,

Just been thinking about the new Canon 6D, and wondering if anyone could give feedback about the outer focus points usability at a wedding or fairly low light venue.

I appreciate that the centre AF point is going to be better, and to be used ideally... but I wondered how bad / or good the outer ones are and whether they can actually be used reliably.

I am mainly talking about One-Shot accuracy / ability to lock

Hi!

I've had my 6d for a couple of weeks and it's good. The focus points are reliable and it feels much better than the focus system on a 5d2.

I'd say that indoors in low light the outer focus points are very usable (even with a single incandescent bulb in the corner of the room) - I wouldn't have trusted them on a 5d2 as much.

It feels a lot more reliable - it doesn't hunt like a 5d2 did in my house! I haven't had any situations (even shooting in the dark mornings) where I've thought I needed to use the center to get solid focus.

I think you'll be really happy with it.

Any other questions fire away :)

Inclined to agree - to a point. That said I still prefer to use the centre crossed hair point and then recompose the shot. Takes a fraction of a second to do this and the centre focus point is the best.

I find the non-centre points accurate but noticeably slower in very low light. They do the job though.

The centre point could lock on to a black cat in a coal mine!

Back