Canon 6D vs Canon 5DmkII

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Will be using for both video and photo (60/40). I'm really stuck as to which one to go for.

In my mind:

6D - Newer, better ISO performance, better autofocus
5DmkII - Magic Lantern, dual card slots

Dual card slots are a biggie for me, had a few SD card failures which has not made clients very happy! But at the same time I'd really like to take advantage of the higher ISO performance of the 6D.

5DmkIII is out of the picture at the moment, would be the perfect camera but I'll be looking to buy one of those next year at some point and keep the 6D/5DmkII as backup.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm sure that the 5D2 is only a single memory card camera, though CF is to my mind a more reliable card type :) does the 6D feature AF for video?

Hmm, appears your right! Not sure why I thought mk2 had a dual card slot, but still my point kind of stays - as you say CF is definitely a lot more reliable than SD.

Using manual focus in video, meant the autofocus is better in the 6D for photography. :)

I'd look at the aliasing and moiré reviews for both. Then decide based on what you're shooting.

6D has Unbelievably bad aliasing

7:20~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eiFBV70Z5E

Looks like there's no optical anti-aliasing filter. Although I can see one for sale for $350. But that may knacker the ability to take stills.

The aliasing is so bad that it's going to take a lot of bitrate to encode, so the rest of the image will soften.

For even worse moire, look at: http://vimeo.com/58335679

For those who don't know what they're looking for, check out the Brick wall in the first shot.

Last edited:
Going to bite the bullet and get the 5d3 I think. Have seen too many videos of the moire on 6D videos. It would annoy me too much, especially knowing my student loan goes in next week. :nuts:

Going to bite the bullet and get the 5d3 I think. Have seen too many videos of the moire on 6D videos. It would annoy me too much, especially knowing my student loan goes in next week. :nuts:

If you bite that bullet you'll not regret it mate ;) you might want to consider ordering a better camera strap, as trust me the weight increase over your XXXD it not insignificant and I found using the optech strap so much easier on my neck over the crap canon one ;)

If you bite that bullet you'll not regret it mate ;) you might want to consider ordering a better camera strap, as trust me the weight increase over your XXXD it not insignificant and I found using the optech strap so much easier on my neck over the crap canon one ;)

Awesome, thanks for the tip mate! I'm sure I won't regret it, despite it being more money than the 6D I'd have more regret for not biting the bullet in the first place.

Quite excited now.. :nuts: I'll PM you Matt. (y)

Hey, I went from a 550d to a 6d and my main use is video. My friend has a 5dmk3 and it is better due to it having a built in anti aliasing filter. Although what I will say is the video on the 6d is still amazing, forget 720fps though as you will notice the moire due to the ratio of the line skipping, but in 1080p 30fps the video is incredible and you don't notice the difference too much from the 5d.

So to sum it up if you need 60fps, you will need to use 720p on both cameras, so the 5d is the one for you. But if you don't need to do slow mo, and you want to shoot in 24 or 30fps and in 1080p the 6d is brilliant. I couple mine up with a go pro black edition if I did need a slow mo shot.

Hope this helps.

Ben.

Hey, I went from a 550d to a 6d and my main use is video. My friend has a 5dmk3 and it is better due to it having a built in anti aliasing filter. Although what I will say is the video on the 6d is still amazing, forget 720fps though as you will notice the moire due to the ratio of the line skipping, but in 1080p 30fps the video is incredible and you don't notice the difference too much from the 5d.

So to sum it up if you need 60fps, you will need to use 720p on both cameras, so the 5d is the one for you. But if you don't need to do slow mo, and you want to shoot in 24 or 30fps and in 1080p the 6d is brilliant. I couple mine up with a go pro black edition if I did need a slow mo shot.

Hope this helps.

Ben.

Thanks Ben, I'm pretty sold on the 5dmk3! (y)

Doesn't 70D have AF in video mode? Not the best for sills, and ISO not quite the same, but AF could mean a lot.

I own 5D3 and well, I miss AF, and can't wait to get access to ML RAW video. Well, maybe the 5D4 will get there

Back