Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS & TC's

H

h4rri

A little help needed please, I'm seriously considering selling my 100-400 again through lack of use. I was pondering grabbing a 1.4x ot 2x TC to add to the 70-200 as this would give me similar reach etc.

Does the 70-200 AF on a 5D [or 1D] with either convertor? I would be looking at the Canon ones as they are weather sealed too btw.

Also what's a 100-400 worth these days?

70-200 2.8 LIS plus Canon 1.4x certainly does everything on a 400D

you can use one or the other TC on the 2.8 70mm lens, but not both at once on any body. The 1D series will operate below f5.6. However you wouldnt want to stack both.
There is a noticable degradation of IQ with either in use. Which can be compensated for by closing the apperture 1-2 stops.
Oh and focussing speed drops, but then 70-200+TC is the about as fast as the 100-400

HTH

:agree: the 2x works well, providing you live within its limits. have a search here TC did a comparison a while back... showed it was non too shoddy

you can use one or the other TC on the 2.8 70mm lens, but not both at once on any body. The 1D series will operate below f5.6. However you wouldnt want to stack both.
There is a noticable degradation of IQ with either in use. Which can be compensated for by closing the apperture 1-2 stops.
Oh and focussing speed drops, but then 70-200+TC is the about as fast as the 100-400

HTH

I wasn't looking at stacking them just grabbing one and using that on the 70-200. Would likely be the 2x as the 1.4 wouldn't make that much difference to the focal lenght.

Thats fine, but even though I have both I use the 1.4 more often as it needs less light to work

For a more informed review, see here.

Thanks, that is a great review. I'm not sure in truth how often I would actually use the TC and I know a mate has the 1.4x so may ponce that off him for a few days.

oldgit said:
Thats fine, but even though I have both I use the 1.4 more often as it needs less light to work

Thanks, helps me make an informed decision. :)

And now that all important question ...

Whats a [boxed] mint 100-400 worth?

£600 ish I'm looking to sell mine which is in the same condition and reckon I'll be lucky to get that, just look at prices elsewhere :)

And now that all important question ...

On POTN, a 12-month-old one recently went for £700. But that's only one example and may not be representative.

There are far more US members on POTN, and consequently far more US sales. The going price for good condition 100-400s seems to be around $1150, which is about 80% of the price new from a reputable dealer like B&H or Adorama. If the same logic extends over here, the 80% of the Warehouse Express price is £800 and when you remove the VAT that's £680.

I've stacked both my TC's with the 70-200 f2.8 once or twice and unbelievably I still manage AF on the 30D so long as the light's good. You'd have no bassles at using either (or I suspect even both) on the bodies you mention.

I shoot a fair bit using the 2x converter and have always been perfectly happy with the results, too. Others are quick to say that the IQ from the 2x is poor, all I can tell you is that I've never found it so.

The 1.4x II TC will work fine on the 70-200/2.8 IS but in my opinion, forget the 2x on any zoom. AF speed and accuracy will suffer hugely as will the image quality.
The 2x only really works properly on the big Canon primes, 300/2.8 IS, 400/2.8 IS etc., etc.,

The 1.4x II TC will work fine on the 70-200/2.8 IS but in my opinion, forget the 2x on any zoom. AF speed and accuracy will suffer hugely as will the image quality.
The 2x only really works properly on the big Canon primes, 300/2.8 IS, 400/2.8 IS etc., etc.,

Thanks, looks like it's divided on the IQ etc of the 2x. Looking to mainly use it with a 500mm f/4 IS [when I pick one up].

Back