Canon 70-200 F2.8L

Edit My Images
No
I am looking to upgrade from my old 80-200 F2.8L and am a bit confused. I would like the Canon 70-200 F2.8L lens but don't really need an image stabilizer as I manily do sport. Do they do the 70-200 F2.8L without the IS?

Many thanks in advance

Jules

Many thanks for that :) Now for the next question has anyone got any recommendations of where to buy one? I assume that the internet is possibly going to give me the best deal are they any sellers to aviod or any that people have used and would recommend?

Jules

Or if your after 2nd hand they pop up on MPB, Forddes and Mifsuds now and again.

You can't get one for love nor money in the UK :(
But our good old friends at One Stop Digital, based in Hong Kong provide a superb service ... and their prices seem to be very competative ...
http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_26&products_id=167
Bought a lens off there monday night ... it arrived all safe and well less than 3 days later (y) what a superb service :clap::clap:

Cheers,

Thank you all very much for your advice you have been most helpful:) I would probably go for the one from One Stop Digital but the only thing that worries me is its a long journey for something thats a bit fragile though they are very competitivley priced.

Jules

Thank you all very much for your advice you have been most helpful:) I would probably go for the one from One Stop Digital but the only thing that worries me is its a long journey for something thats a bit fragile though they are very competitivley priced.

Jules
Well they are all made in japan, so they have to get over one way or another........

Jules

All stock comes from Japan so no need to worry.

I have this lens. Love it. Super sharp.:)

Are you sure you want the non IS, the reselll on the non IS model is a lot less
than the IS version, might be some thing to think about.

Another thumbs up for Kerso.

Send him a PM, it may take a day or two for him to reply, but you'll get an answer, and hopefully a splendid price! (y)

Kerso is currently £895 for that lens, and £1225 for the IS version. I could not bring myself to buy an expensive lens like that from the Far East but I have just bought the f/4 IS version from Kerso (£799).

You can tray this store:
http://www.digitalwonderworld.de

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4,0 L USM 561,35EUR +P&P 15€

The store is located in Germany. I will be buying an 70-200 F4 from them, it's a trusted store I fund it by recommendations on a Portuguese Photography forum. (y)

I've always been told that IS isn't just IS as such. Apparently there's quite a few things different and the IS lens is sharper but this may be people trying to justify the extra amount.

But regardless, IS can still be good for sports.

I have just bought the f/4 IS version from Kerso (£799).

How long ago did you buy that? is that the price he is doing them at the moment?

How long ago did you buy that? is that the price he is doing them at the moment?

I bought it last week. I would guess the price is still current. I think his prices are pretty much in line with the dollar exchange rate.

I've always been told that IS isn't just IS as such. Apparently there's quite a few things different and the IS lens is sharper but this may be people trying to justify the extra amount.

But regardless, IS can still be good for sports.

Both Canon's 70-200 L lenses are substantially different to their non-IS counterparts. They have several more glass elements for a start, which goes some way towards explaining the huge price hike, and fractionally higher weight.

From Canon's published MTF data, both IS and non-IS versions are exceptionally sharp. Depending on which focal length you test them at, you could argue that either lens is sharper but they're so close as makes no difference.

Someone will pick you up on your comment about IS and sport LOL ;) but I agree with you. It may be of less benefit when shutter speeds are normally high anyway, but camera shake is always present to some degree - it doesn't suddenly go away with higher speeds, it is just reduced, and anything you can do to reduce it further, especially as focal length gets longer, has got to be a good thing. And you can always turn it off (not sure why you would want to).

But the extra cost of IS with Canon's 70-200 lenses is very big, which is a shame considering that IS appears to be a very low cost extra on most lenses.

Thanks HoppyUK, anyone know if the tripod mount for the F4 non IS fits the IS? I take it the IS doesnt come with one as standard.

I remember when I bought my Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS last year, that I was a little concerned it had to come up here from London and when it arrived on the plate attached to it was marked Made in Japan !!!!!
So it had travelled halfway around the world.
C

I really want a tripod mount for my f/4 IS but I don't want a cheap Hong Kong copy and I heard the Canon ring is over £100...?

Thanks HoppyUK, anyone know if the tripod mount for the F4 non IS fits the IS? I take it the IS doesnt come with one as standard.

I'm sure it does, Canon only make a very limited range of tripod mounts.

I can see why it doesn't come with one, it is very light and quite short, I don't think putting the body on the tripod is a problem.

It seems a much bigger lens on the 350D but on the 40D it is nothing at all.

I also have an EF 80-200 f2.8 L (aka "The Drainppe") that is great for sports. I use a monopod and get very sharp results (despite a blemish on one of the lenses - bought it used). I have found that it can't keep up with the servo function on the body, but for kids' sport, the lens motor is fast enough.

I have been considering a bit more reach, 300f4, or a Sigma 100-300 f4 or Sigma 120-300 f2.8.

Might consider an upgrade to the 70-200 ...

I'm sure it does, Canon only make a very limited range of tripod mounts.

I can see why it doesn't come with one, it is very light and quite short, I don't think putting the body on the tripod is a problem.

It seems a much bigger lens on the 350D but on the 40D it is nothing at all.

Thanks mate, ive got a F4 non IS from here that i havnt seen yet as im away from home and it came with a tripod ring. i was cuious in case i upgrade to the IS version if the tripod ring was the same.

Thanks mate, ive got a F4 non IS from here that i havnt seen yet as im away from home and it came with a tripod ring. i was cuious in case i upgrade to the IS version if the tripod ring was the same.

We bought the 70-200f4 with IS from a TP member who kept the tripod ring as we didn't want to pay the extra. I think it fits one or more of the primes too.

The tripod collar for both of Canon's 70-200 4 zooms is the same, and costs around £120.

You can get a Chinese copy for £12.99 from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tripod-Moun...5KDG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1245072152&sr=1-1 and I'm sure it does the job but I know it's made of cheap alloy. Which is fine, except when it comes to the tripod bush, when it is not fine. The Canon collar has a steel insert (clearly visible in pictures) which means your lens is properly secured, and not dangling precariously from a couple of crumbing threads made from reconsituted crispy duck. I wouldn't dare hang that at 90 degrees :eek:

The 70-200 4 definately needs a tripod collar. It is long at 172mm, even if it doesn't extend when zooming, and no lightweight at 760g. The collar should certainly be included, as it is with the 2.8 version I believe.

Canon's attitude to basic lens accessories is pretty bad. They supply hoods with L lenses, but that's it. I had to buy a hood for my very expensive 17-55 2.8, a pretty outrageous £30, and now a decent collar for the 70-200 for £120. It really takes the shine off the deal. Sigma supplies hoods, collars and good cases.

nt

Well I have ordered the 70-200 F2.8 non IS. I have an IS lens and never use the IS I mainly do speedway so definately need the F2.8. I shall let you know how I get on!!!

Mant Thanks for all your help guys, just got to work out how I shall be paying my rent this month(y)

I assume it won't come with a lens hood?

Jules

Well I have ordered the 70-200 F2.8 non IS. I have an IS lens and never use the IS I mainly do speedway so definately need the F2.8. I shall let you know how I get on!!!

Mant Thanks for all your help guys, just got to work out how I shall be paying my rent this month(y)

I assume it won't come with a lens hood?

Jules

It is an L lens, so comes with a hood, and as a 2.8 it comes with a collar.

stunning, stunning lens (mine's the IS version) would be the only lens i would keep if i sold my others, love it

Back